Not open for further replies.

MINK

Reaction score
Country
India
Hindi movies portray only rich Indian families
Nina C George
director.jpg

That’s an observation of Mark Bickerton, Director, London Metropolitan University, who was in the City to interact with the students.

Mark Bickerton is more Indian than any Indian. “Mai Hindi kuch kuch bolta hoon,” he says. He has travelled across India countless times and can dish out just as many Indian dishes as any Indian bahu. “I love Indian food and I cook a bit too. The last time I ate fish and chips was 20 years ago,” he says without exaggeration.

Mark Bickerton, Director, London Metropolitan University was in the City for a few days. Metrolife caught up with the charming gentleman and spent a few moments chatting up with him.

Mark has spent most of his career with students. He observes that the education system in India isn’t doing enough to orient the students to the practical aspects of life. “Here it’s all based on marks, percentage and cut off but these young men and women who’ve mugged up all that’s in the book and scored well are as good as nothing when they’re thrown into the market,” Mark points out. He feels the employers must insist that freshers have some amount of practical knowledge before hiring them.

Commenting about India, he says the people are a confident lot.

“Should I use the common term ‘India Shining’ it would sound too cliched but the people are an intelligent community. People here have a tendency to look westward. I feel India must make efforts to open out a social and political dialogue with China, for instance,” thinks Mark who also feels it’s high time the dispute between the two countries are settled at the earliest.

Mark agrees that Indians are obsessed with the United States. “The United States is definitely a country of opportunities but I must confess I hate their dominant character. It’s a put off. Indians must only borrow the good from the US,” he opines.

Mark has not only travelled across India, he says he has a keen taste for street food. He is unlike a typical white man who is finicky about eating off the streets, “Back home in London you would find Indian, Chinese, Lebanese, Bangladeshi and Thai food – all on a cart on the street. “I relish the idli, dosa, sambar... not too spicy though. The paneer and kababs are my favourites. I am not fussy about Indian spice, it adds so much to the flavour,” he observes.

And what’s more is that Mark has watched many Hindi movies, “Hindi movies have English subtitles. But most movies portray rich Indian families with not less than 25 members in a family. I don’t think that is typical of every Indian family. There are different classes of people here,” Marks points out.
He wonders why Indians can’t get over their obsession with the caste system, “There are educated, English speaking Indians who are very caste conscious. I think that’s something that Indians will never get over,” he sums up.

Source: Deccan Herald

watch peepli live... love sex dhoka and many other good movies

lol
the best films in india touch almost all the types of societies
be it lagaan, peepli live, 3 idiots, udaan, munnabhai.
but ofcourse its a given dat a commercial film industry to survive has to appeal to the people with bucks. it isnt just d case of bollywood.

watch peepli live... love sex dhoka and many other good movies

Why you're giving 'advice' to me? I love India very much just like any other Indians do. I just posted the news and it's not my view but other people's view what do they think about Indian movies. It's as simple as that. :angry:

Moreover the above news in from Indian newspaper Deccan Herald.

Last edited:
The newer ones are better.. otherwise Indian movies used to be a nogo area for me.
but the trend has kept changing.. anyone remember the Kabariya father played by Anupam kher in that aamir khan film.

Although the ridiculous ideas shown in KKKG take the cake.
I thought AB was a drug smuggler in that thing..

The newer ones are better.. otherwise Indian movies used to be a nogo area for me.
but the trend has kept changing.. anyone remember the Kabariya father played by Anupam kher in that aamir khan film.

Although the ridiculous ideas shown in KKKG take the cake.
I thought AB was a drug smuggler in that thing..

LOL yeah! Bollywood has certainly come of age now. The "Ek Chutki Sindur" crap works no more now.

While Bollywood has certainly come of age, I've never seen a recent Bollywood movie as good as "Dil Se", "Lagaan" & other ones. Dil Se was a terribly underrated movie.

This is not true. Many good Hindi movies came in last 1 year like Golmal-3, Houseful, Kites, Rajneeti, Once upon a time in Mumbai, Dabangg, Peepli Live, etc. I liked Sholay but i never liked DDLJ. Films are just personal choice. Everyone has different set of choices. Few like Romantic, Few comedy, few Action. Dil Se was good movie. Indeed, All films of Mani Ratnam were good including Roja, Hindustani, Yuva, etc. There are some 150 Hindi movies produced every year. Every week, 2-4 damm New movies come. Few are good, Few are not good. It's all commercial. All movies can't come in top list. I merely watch some 20 selected new Hindi movies in whole year and have to skip 100's of movies just not possible. Others chose different set of films.

LOL yeah! Bollywood has certainly come of age now. The "Ek Chutki Sindur" crap works no more now.

I would say the trend setter has been Aamir Khan..
The whole attitude change seemed to start after Dil Chahta hai..
It seemed to finally get more in touch with how the generation actually behaves.

While Bollywood has certainly come of age, I've never seen a recent Bollywood movie as good as "Dil Se", "Lagaan" & other ones. Dil Se was a terribly underrated movie.
You gotta be kidding me! Watch 3 idiots....no movie matches that,if it was made in west it would have won oscar,but you know west prefers movies that don't show brighter India!

You gotta be kidding me! Watch 3 idiots....no movie matches that,if it was made in west it would have won oscar,but you know west prefers movies that don't show brighter India!

Shitty, preachy movie. I don't understand why people liked such a fake movie.....

Are' bhai, while 3 idiots was a funny movie, as are others: the content of Dil Se was important for the realities of the situation, & it was a very groundbreaking movie. I like movies with a bit of realism in them, of course not the KKHH, hum dil de chuke sanam type of movies. It's my personal opinion.

Shitty, preachy movie. I don't understand why people liked such a fake movie.....
Any reason for disliking it?

---------- Post added at 11:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:42 AM ----------

Are' bhai, while 3 idiots was a funny movie, as are others: the content of Dil Se was important for the realities of the situation, & it was a very groundbreaking movie. I like movies with a bit of realism in them, of course not the KKHH, hum dil de chuke sanam type of movies. It's my personal opinion.
3 idiots had a message,great story,humor etc. makes a perfect movie!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom