What's new

Bolt Action sniper rifle vs Semi Auto S-rifle

psifactor

New Recruit

Reaction score
Which rifle is good for sniping. Bolt action or semi auto.Most of the sniper rifles are bolt action only a little of them are semi auto.i don't know which action is better .please comment.

Last edited:
Which rifle is good for sniping. Bolt action or semi auto.Most of the sniper rifles are bolt action only a little of them are semi auto.i don't know which action is better .please comment.

I think it depends more on the weight (not if tripod is there), barrel length (deciding factor on speed), rifling sequence, and bore.

As per my personal experience, bolt action rifles have brought me more praise than have semi-automatic ones.
But since I have not had as much experience with long barreled semi-automatic, as I had with bolt-action ones, my opinion may be skewed.
:sniper::argh:

Bolt action rifles are better when stalking an enemy and for firing from concealed positions and to remain concealed. The shell does not fly out of the side housing and this makes a big difference when up against vigilant sentries.

Bolt action is very acurate and is good if you are against a lone target, shoot him and be done with. But if you want to engage multiple targets then it's better to have semi auto rifle as the loading movt will give u away and accuracy is not that bad either, that's why many newer variants are automatic.

Bolt action is very acurate and is good if you are against a lone target, shoot him and be done with. But if you want to engage multiple targets then it's better to have semi auto rifle as the loading movt will give u away and accuracy is not that bad either, that's why many newer variants are automatic.

Correct answer !
Nothing will ever replace the accuracy of a bolt action rifle.
It has furthest range, and best accuracy.

Semi automatic are always a compromise and useful when u want to engage a lot of targets on a smaller range.

Hi,

One simple thing to understand is the mechanism of each of these rifles---how the bullets is reloaded in the semi auto as compared to the bolt action.

In the semi auto, some of the gas pressure is used to move the bolt to eject and re-load the bullet. In bolt action it is done manually. In the first action there is waste of energy to re-load---in the later, there is no such wastage.

Correct answer !
Nothing will ever replace the accuracy of a bolt action rifle.
It has furthest range, and best accuracy.

Semi automatic are always a compromise and useful when u want to engage a lot of targets on a smaller range.

No brother i will disagree with you, re-loading mechanism of a gun has nothing to do with its range or accuracy.

Check this out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Barret also now manufacturing bolt action sniper rifles like Model 95 ,98b ,99 Barrett Rifles

CheyTac sniper rifle is also bolt action. Auto sniper are for short range.
watch this:[url="
Semi-auto vs Bolt (snipers)[/url]
CheyTac Intervention - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Barrett has been making bolt action sniper since some time now, M90 was produced in 1990 which was later replaced by the M95.

As I said earlier it is not only the re-loading mechanism of a sniper rifle that makes it better in way.There are alot of things that come into consideration like the round used and the barrel length to start with. In semi automatic guns two types of mechanisms are used i.e blowback and gas operated. Once again, please clear the misconception that Semi-Auto Snipers are for short range.

Btw Barrett M82 Semi auto Sniper is used by Pak Army.

How about AS50 ? It has got anti-material/long-range interdiction capability, combined with recoil dampening butt stock design and fast follow-up shot capability.It sounds like a perfect package to me.

The British Accuracy International AS50 BMG Sniper Rifle

4acb204753a227cb63fcac3af86d3c77.jpg

Caliber: 12.7x99mm / .50BMG

Operation: gas operated, semiautomatic

Rate of fire: semi-automatic, estimated at 5 rounds/1.3 seconds

The AS50 fifty caliber (12.7mm) sniper / antimateriel rifle is the latest development of the famous British company Accuracy International Ltd. First displayed in January 2005 in USA at the ShotShow-2005, this rifle reportedly has been developed especially for US SOCOM users, and is now being tested by the US NAVY Special Operations center. The AS50 is to provide combat operators with highly accurate and rapid aimed fire at extended ranges. To achieve such goal, the AS50 is built around gas operated, semiautomatic action, with "single rear locking" (most probably, this mean a tilting bolt). The two-part receiver is machined from high grade steel, the barrel is free-floated and fitted with effective muzzle brake. Easily detachable buttstock is fitted with recoil-reducing buttpad, as well as with folding rear grip, which also serves as a rear support leg. The folding quick-detachable bipod with adjustable legs is fitted as a standard. Top of the receiver is equipped with full length Picatinny type rail which can accept any compatible scope mount; two additional rails are mounted on either side of the short handguard / barrel jacket. Rifle is fitted with four sling mounts, and can be brought down to basic sub-assemblies within three minutes for maintenance or compact transportation or storage. Rifle is fed using single stack detachable box magazines, which holds five rounds of ammunition.

i want to buy it 4 my country what its price,let our prediator have some awosame 4 thier hunting including me.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom