What's new

Book Review : The Indian Doctrine

Status
Not open for further replies.
The above comment of sword9 appear exceedingly broad as it is merely based on the comments I have made on this forum and bears no relationship to the actual contents of the book where intelligence issues play only a supporting role to the oft repeated objectives of Indian politicians, religious leaders and analysts that clearly enunciate an Akhand Bharat and domination over the South Asian region. As I have already mentioned this does not entail physical occupation.

First and foremost Mr.Munshi you are forming your "India Doctine" based on some Nehru-Indira dreams,people who are dead and gone.
If you think Nehru is revered among political circles for being a leader with examplery strategic vision,then you live in a world of fantansy. Nehru is attributed with the debacle against China and you see that Indian political class is bent on implementing his vision?
Nehru who was planning to dissolve the Indian Defence forces seem like a expansionist in you analysis? I say again you are out of touch of reality.

As far India's plans of political,economic domination,if that was the case,it seems like it has utterly failed. Sinhalese and Tamils would not have been blowing each other up, Moaist would not have come to power in Nepal. And for Bangladesh,first and foremost let the two ladies stop their revenge habits and then if something is left of Bangladesh India might think dominating.
If India was so dominating on Bangladesh,Tata's wouldnt have to struggle so much to invest 2 billion dollar in Bangladesh.

Why should someone take you at face value when you describe "some hyberolic Indian Domination Plans"? Why should I say that some of the facts mentioned by you are twisted? Can't I point at you as a victim of the
Bangladesh Propaganda Machine or possibly a member of the same?

As I have already mentioned this does not entail physical occupation.

You mentioned in your previous post about plans to "occupy portions".I would assume that you mean "physically occupy portions". You have already changed you view with just couple of posts?

And I recommend you Mr. Munshi that instead of wasting time on finding out percentages of poor people in India,please strive towards political betterment of your country and prevent regular army intervention in the rule.

Indian Secularism Unmasked

Shah Abdul Halim, Bangladesh

I am a Muslim, I cannot help my tears;
I have gone through fifty nine long years,
Suffering pangs of hunger, day after day
And unbearable humiliation all the way.
I faced riots, bullets, sword and dagger
They brunt my home, mother and sister;
When I complained, they put me in a cell.
There are no jobs, life is one big hell.
Under the benign sky of my beloved land,
I am reduced to starve with outstretched hand.
Weary and worn out, I search for solace,
I wander crestfallen from palace to palace,
I have no home, so no ration card
And thus no vote, no identity card;
With nothing to offer, I cannot marry
I have remained a bachelor, desolate and solitary;
If only my father had had the foresight
To remain a bachelor too, to save me this plight.
[English rendering of a poem]

How is Indian Muslim in the land of Gandhi? What is their socio-economic and political condition? Let us discuss the life style and the environment in which the Indian Muslims are living. What is their position in the main body politic of the Indian society, not in any particular region but throughout India? Let us discuss their position in different important sectors compared to other religious communities. How far they have made progress in education, trade, business and industry compared to other religious communities in India?

What is their representation in the services, in public and private sectors? How is the Muslim community represented in the parliament and in the leadership of different political parties? These are the important criterions for a minority community is not identified by its numbers but decided by its socio-economic conditions. How backward the community is? Does the community lagging behind other communities as far as empowerment is concerned? In this article I shall use the statistics provided by the report on the Minorities Commission headed by Dr. Gopal Singh that was appointed by Indian Prime Minister Indra Gandhi in 1980 and report on 'Socio-economic Status of India's 150 Million Muslims' prepared by seven member committee headed by Justice Rajinder Sachar that was appointed by the current Prime Minister of India Manmohan Singh in March 2005. This report has been prepared by the committee after visiting 13 most Muslim populous states and tabled in the Indian Parliament on 30 November 2006. Press reports alleged that there are discrepancies between leaked copies of the report and the final version suggesting that some parts of the Sachar Committee findings have been deleted before making them public.

Muslims represent 13.4 percent of the Indian population. Their total number being 150 million, unofficial figure is however considered still more. Muslims are marginalized in all sectors in India. In the Lok Sabha which consists of 544 members, for instance, according to the population of Muslims they should have 83 members; but in every election their number has steadily declined. Today it stands at only 17. Likewise, in the Rajya Sabha which consists of 250 members, where because of indirect election, political parties could easily redress the imbalance; the Muslims' share is far below their population strength. Their number today is 11. The representation is going down everywhere, from Panchayat Samities to Zilla Parishads, from municipalities to corporations, from Zilla Parishads to Vidan Sabhas and to the Lok Sabha.

Muslims however are not bothered whether they had a Muslim President or Minister, what they wanted was the removal of economic disparities and social inequality.

The same is true with regard to employment whether in agriculture, trade or industry. In the police and armed forces, their number is negligible. In the Indian Foreign and Administrative service, the percentage of Muslims is abysmally low; this is so in other public services too. They have hardly any share in the management of public sector, which is largely managed by non-Muslims. In the private sector, their position is worse. All in all, the condition of Indian Muslims has considerably deteriorated after Partition of the sub-continent in 1947; they have literally touched rock-bottom. The recurrence of communal riots allows the Muslims no respite; the police give them hardly any protection. Also, being vastly outnumbered in most areas, their sense of insecurity is enhanced with every passing disturbance.

In 1980 Prime Minister Indira Gandhi set up a high powered panel to go into the condition of minorities headed by Dr. Gopal Singh. They collected data pertaining to the actual condition of the minorities, in particular their participation in schools, colleges and professional institutions on the one hand and their employment in public sector undertakings, private enterprises, state and union services, cooperative and banking and such allied sectors on the other. In over four years, after intensive investigation by the staff of the panel and on the basis of the facts and figures that they have collected, it was found that the plight of the minorities was worst, especially of Muslims. However the report was so startling that Indira Gandhi shelved it. The report however saw the day light when Prime Minister V. P. Singh presented it to the Parliament. Unfortunately no Indian government bothers about the uplift of minorities in concrete terms. The occurrence of communal riots paralyzed the Muslims not only politically but also economically. The minorities have become subdued and hurting them is no longer even politically productive.

The number of Muslims in government services is steadily declining; hardly one or two secretaries in the Centre or States, there is no chief secretary in any state, one high court judge or so in some states; no chief justice in any state. The number of district judges and magistrates don't exceed even two percent of the total; in the armed forces the position is still worse; in industry they have a marginal existence. In public sector undertakings, out of 481 directors, only 6 are Muslims- no chairman, no managing director. In IB and RAW Muslims are debarred.

According to Sachar report the presence of Muslims has been found to be only 3 percent in the IAS, 1.8 percent in the IFS and 4 percent in the IPS. These services constitute the core of civil service responsible for implementing all policy decisions, development programmes and national and state activities. They have done more to deprive the Muslims of their legitimate share. The share of Muslims in employment in various departments is abysmally low at all levels. Muslim community has a representation of only 4.5 percent in Indian Railways while 98.7 percent of them are positioned at lower levels. Representation of Muslims is very low in the universities and in banks. In no state does the representation of Muslims in the government departments match their population share. Their share in police constables is only 6 percent, in health 4.4 percent, in transport 6.5 percent.

According to the Sachar report the share of Muslims having government jobs is just 4.9 percent. Muslims constitute just 3.2 percent of those in India's elite civil service corps.

The situation is worse in states with large Muslim populations. For example, in West Bengal, Uttar Pradesh, and Assam, where Muslims form 25.2 percent, 18.5 percent and 30.9 percent of the population, respectively, their share of government jobs is 4.7 percent, 7.5 percent, and 10.9 percent, respectively.

In the private sector, including the top business and industrial houses of Tatas and Birlas, it was found that Muslim employment come to 8.16 percent. Muslims did not get even 50 percent of what their population entitles in the various schemes involving small farmers, marginal farmers, agricultural laborers, landless laborers, training schemes under Integrated Rural Development, rural artisans programmes such as forestry, horticulture, nurseries, pest control, veterinary services, tractor, pump services etc. Likewise, the picture of Muslim employment in National Rural Employment Programme was not encouraging.

In the small-scale sector, the Muslim ownership figures were almost 15 percent of the total. However they did not obtain much benefit from the government's package assistance and consultancy services, bank credits, allocation of raw materials, etc. They received only 8.14 percent of the benefits as compared to their population of about 13.4 percent. Only 4.4 percent of the industrial units were owned by Muslims, while 16.21 percent were owned by SCs. Their share in the allotment of industrial plots came to 6.69 percent.

Grant of Bank loans: There is evidence that India's banks, both public and private, also discriminate against Muslims. According to the Sachar report, the average bank loan disbursed to a Muslim is two thirds of the amount disbursed to other minorities. "Some banks use the practice of identifying negative geographical zones on the basis of certain criteria where bank credit and other facilities are not easily provided".

In terms of intending borrowers, the Muslims numbered 9.41 percent, but the actual disbursement of loans to them came to 3.73 percent. For SCs the intending borrowers were 20.7 percent and they received loans to the extent of 12.7 percent. The loans never extended one hundred thousand Rupees.

According to the Sachar report, Muslims in India have less access to education than other religious groups. As a result, the literacy rate among Muslims is only 59.1 percent while the national average is 64.8 percent. School enrollment among urban Muslims boys is only 80 percent, as compared with 90 percent of SC/ST boys. Only 68 percent of Muslim girls attend schools, while the figures for Dalit girls and girls categorized as non-Dalit are 72 percent and 80 percent respectively.

The gap between Muslims and the general average is greater in the urban areas and women. 25 percent of Muslim children in the 6-14 age group have either never attended school or have dropped out. Drop out rates among Muslims are higher at the level of primary, middle and higher secondary. The disparity in graduation attainment rates is widening since 1970s between Muslims and all other categories in both urban and rural areas. When it comes to higher education, the Muslim presence is even lower. The report says that in the elite Indian Institutes of Management (IIMs) and Indian Institute of Technology (IITs), the Muslim students constitute only 1.3 percent and 1.7 percent respectively, of the student body. In premier colleges only one out of 25 under-graduate students and one out of 50 post-graduate students is a Muslim. Only 3 percent of Muslim children among the school going age go to Madrassas.

70 percent of the Muslims live in villages and barely able to make ends meet and they are forlorn and rudderless. 150 million Indian Muslims live in a miserable existence; they are looked down upon by the dominant majority who are happy to see them in miserable condition. Not a semblance of care and concern for Muslims. As years passed the condition of the Muslims further deteriorated and they became hewers of wood and drawers of water.

This article will not be complete and I shall not be doing justice to subject I am dwelling in unless I discuss the communal situation in India and the perception of Indian Muslims in resolving the problem. The helplessness of the Indian Muslims is reflected in the statement of celebrated novelist Arundhati Roy who cried out: "It must be terrible for Muslims to be in India". No one can deny that the odds against Indian Muslims are heavy; these have mounted, year after year. Justice Rajinder Sachar in his report on 'Socio-economic Status of India's 150 Million Muslims' tabled in the Indian Parliament on 30 November 2006 conceded that "India's Muslims are a socially deprived and victimized minority". Indian Muslims has steadily declined and they have been reduced to a level, which has been worse than that of Scheduled Castes. Educationally, they are most backward; economically, they are at the bottom of the ladder; socially they are outclassed. Indian leaders claim that under Indian secularism no citizen can be discriminated. Still followers of the minority religions do suffer discrimination in practice in all walks of life. Eminent Indian intellectual Khushwant Singh rightly debunked Indian secularism 'a big sham'. He warned the minorities 'not to live in a fool's paradise and believe in what was being told to them'. Here it will be sufficient to mention what is happening in occupied Kashmir even today and what happened in Gujrat only the other day.

The less is said about Indian held Kashmir the better. Kashmir is bleeding just because of India's refusal to hold promised plebiscite under U. N. supervision to determine the status of Kashmir. Everyday innocent young Muslim boys are kidnapped by the Indian security forces and their dead bodies are found the next day lying in a street or in a valley or in a terrain. Young Muslim girls are also violated by the security forces. Where are the human rights?

According official report released on 26 March 2007 from Srinager, 42,147 persons died and 33,885 seriously injured in Kashmir during 1990-2007 because of violence. Human-rights organizations in Kashmir claimed the report as untrue. They claimed that the number of deaths is minimum double of the official figure. According to Jammu-Kashmir based Coalition of Civil Society, in Kashmir more than 80,000 people, excluding Army and Police personnel, lost their life because of valance. Kashmir Hurriat Conference leader Syed Ali Shah Jilani claimed that over 100,000 people lost their life in Kashmir freedom movement.

As a result of February 2002 riot in the India's western state of Gujrat 5000 Muslims were killed (officially the Government of India acknowledged that 2000 Muslims were killed by the anti-Muslim pogrom in Gujrat) of which 122 brunt alive including a Muslim former member of the Indian parliament, 100,000 became homeless (Muslims were forced to live in 56 makeshift camps including one camp established within the Muslim graveyard in south Ahmedabad), 350 mosques were demolished, property worth of U.S. $ 500 million destroyed and 250,000 Muslims became destitute in 40 cities and 2000 villages. Still central government of India did not sack State's Chief Minister Naarendra Modi, for failure to stop pre-planned violence to massacre Muslims and protect their life and property, which the central government could do exercising constitutional authority and take over state administration on law and order ground.

In fact there have been more riots in Free India than in the 150 years of British colonial rule. The governments, both at the Centre and States, irrespective of party affiliation, wake up only when disputes erupt, discontent mounts and riots occur but instead of solving the problem try to pacify it temporarily. To-date no officer was charge-sheeted for dereliction of duty, much less punished. They do little to win the confidence of the people by concrete measures, never candid to denounce communalism but play the gallery.

Not one of the recommendations of the commissions, set up after every riot, has been implemented by any government. All these measures have been merely palliatives to appease Muslims, rather than provide them any substantial protection, assistance or relief. What is more, every government has put the recommendations of every commission to the shelf. The situation is so bad that Justice V.R Krishna Iyer of the Indian Supreme Court lamented: "In all major communal riots, the members of the minority community have been invariable the worst suffers and they got no justice". Neither the government or the commission and the courts have provided the Muslims any relief. In fact the political leaders and bureaucrats lack the will and determination to shun communal tension and establish communal harmony. It must be clearly understood that neither pious declarations nor half-hearted measures, however well meaning, are going to clear the mess.

Indian Muslim problem is not law and order problem, they are basically an outcome of economic malaise which turns into a political problem because of religious factor. In this regard the recommendations to improve the communal environment submitted by All-party 45 Muslim MPs to the Indian Government and later released to the press is noteworthy which interalia states:

1. The defense and protection of the minorities against violence should be the responsibility of the Central Government and to be treated as a national issue, and not simply as a law and order problem in the same manner as atrocities against Harijans are, through a constitutional amendment, if necessary.

2. The police force and the intelligence machinery must be purged of communal elements and restructured to provide due and effective representation to all communities. Special anti-riot task forces should be constituted both at the Central and State levels for exclusive deployment in riot situations. Until such forces are raised, the CRPF and BSF should alone be deployed and not state armed constabularies.

3. The record of senior police and executive officers should be screened for communal bias and for performance during communal disturbances and anyone suspected of communal bias should not be posted to sensitive districts. In such districts, there should be a proper mix of officers to generate all-round confidence.

4. If communal disturbances do not stop within 24 hours of the first loss of life, the Chief Minister must personally rush to and camp in the area till normalcy is restored. The D.M. and the S.S.P. should be held responsible and immediately suspended and replaced by a pre-selected team officers, known and tested for their efficiency, integrity and non-communal outlook and for commanding the confidence of the weaker sections.

5. The victims of the violence should be appropriately compensated for loss of life and limb, in accordance with a uniformly prescribed scale. All property, movable or immovable, lost or damaged, should be replaced or reconstructed at State expense. Compensation so paid should be recovered by imposing a punitive fine from those involved in the riot in inverse proportion to the loss suffered.

6. The criminal cases arising out of the communal disturbances should be expeditiously investigated by Central Intelligence Agencies and tried by Special Courts.

7. All militant and extremist organizations preaching communal hatred such as Vishwa Hindu Parishad and R.S.S. should be banned.

8. During the riot all newspapers and periodicals should be screened and malicious and mischievous writing should be dealt in accordance with the law. Rumors of wrong information should be officially contradicted on a daily basis. Detailed information about casualties, including the names of those killed, hospitalized and arrested should be published in daily bulletins in order to catch misinformation and to appraise the nation of the truth.

9. Text books should be screened and materials that preach hatred between communities be dropped from the books.

Other noteworthy recommendations suggested by Indian Muslims include arming the state to put the offender under detention under the Maintenance of Internal Security Act by appropriate legislation and censoring all such news and comments which inflame communal passions, if necessary by amending Indian Constitution. The recommendations also include the demand for special budgetary provisions for the development of the Muslims, like the Schedule Caste, in the Five Year Plan and to keep at least one Muslim representative in all appointment boards. Until now the Indian Government did not make any sincere effort to implement the recommendation by its senior citizens and MPs.

To sum up, what is happening to the Muslims in India is all part of a broader tendency towards curbing civil liberties and scapegoat cultural minorities in an aggressive effort to impose dominant Hindu nationalism on one of the world's most culturally diverse societies. This is proved further by the fact that only in occupied Kashmir Urdu is the official state language. Urdu is discriminated in educational institutions although a sizable people of Bihar, Uttar Pradesh speak Urdu. More than fifty percent of the Indian Muslims have declared Urdu as their mother tongue according to census report and there is a tendency to systematically erode its influence from the society to de-link Muslims from their religious and cultural treasures. What is the way out of this impasse? Muslims of India must realize that they must make headway in education, science and technology. They must prove that there is no way for the dominant Hindu community to ignore them by making their services indispensable. This however they can do if they also make progress in the private sector as entrepreneurs, which I think is possible even without the help of Indian Government given their experience and expertise. There is also no meaning for Indian Muslims to wait for Government help and assistance. No doubt the future of Indian Muslims is bright provided they give emphasis to socio cultural and economic realities of Indian life and at the same time take a fresh look to the Indian national political scenario and work within pragmatic limits. *

*The writer is the Chairman of Islamic Information Bureau Bangladesh. The author is greatly indebted to Rafiq Zakaria for using his scholarly book Indian Muslims: Where Have They Gone Wrong?, Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan, Mumbai, September 2004. Email: < sah1947@yahoo.com>

http://bangladesh-web.com/view.php?hidDate=2007-04-10&hidType=OPT&hidRecord=0000000000000000156948

CONs' comment -

As far India's plans of political,economic domination,if that was the case,it seems like it has utterly failed. Sinhalese and Tamils would not have been blowing each other up, Moaist would not have come to power in Nepal. And for Bangladesh,first and foremost let the two ladies stop their revenge habits and then if something is left of Bangladesh India might think dominating. If India was so dominating on Bangladesh,Tata's wouldnt have to struggle so much to invest 2 billion dollar in Bangladesh.

This statement indicates a complete failure in understanding. For long RAW has been supporting the Maoists in Nepal which is substantiated by the Nepali writers who contributed four chapters to the book. The Indians, however, have now turned their backs on the Maoists and are instigating a rebellion in the Terai region of the country.

In the case of Sri Lanka prior to the IPKF intervention the Indian government (through RAW) had been providing the LTTE with logistical and tactical support which only stopped after they betrayed the LTTE (due to upheavals in Tamil Nadu) which resulted in the assassination of the Indian PM Rajiv Gandhi by a LTTE hit squad. Even then B. Raman a former RAW chief has recently shown some sympathy towards the LTTE indicating his support if they drop their leader who was directly implicated in the Indian PM assassination. There are already signs that RAW is providing covert assistance to the LTTE as recently thousands of Indian made ball bearings (used in explosives) were discovered on a LTTE ship. The attack on a Sri Lankan airfield by LTTE aircraft which Indian radars failed to pick up raises questions about Indian sincerity towards the Lankan government.

As for Bangladesh the two ladies have been forced to stop their squabbling through the intervention of the military but this has aggravated tensions with India which prefers political instability in the country. In the past this was accomplished by providing logistical support to so-called Islamic extremists who used Indian made explosives and appeared to have open access across the border as to hundreds of wanted criminals residing in Kolkata. The India Doctrine is not only ideology driven but also resource driven hence the much touted investment by Tata. The reason that Tata is so interested in Bangladesh is so that it can monopolize certain of our natural resources for the Indian interest at rates that are disproportionately favorable to them. If India actually practiced fair trade with its neighbours the Indian economy would collapse and so it has to dominate and harass to maintain its unfair leverage over competing economies.

In other words, the India Doctrine is necessary for its own survival.

Erratum -

The last sentence in my previous message should read -

In other words, the India Doctrine is necessary to India for its own survival and existence as a nation state.

RAW's support to Nepali terrorists

S . Malla

The Maoists have fantastic intelligence support. In Pili, RNA intelligence was conspicuous by its absence. The officers had no inkling about the imminent attack. Above all, their mobility is legendary, which more than compensates their inferior numbers and less sophisticated weapons. The RNA can in no way match this ability to move freely and quickly. Thus, in spite of intensive follow-up and mopping-up operations, the terrorists have disappeared into thin air.

The Maoists have imposed a kind of guessing game on the RNA: speculate when and where we'll strike next. It is like finding the proverbial needle in the haystack. The various directorates at Army HQ, it seems, are not very effective in coordinating – among themselves and the regional divisional commands. Grave logistical mistakes are, therefore, programmed. To the exoneration of the RNA, it must be said that it has been without a civilian leader/manager for very long. Without a minister to guide it and take responsibility, the ministry of defence cannot function properly and has, in fact, been reduced to a mute spectator.

Then there is the unquestionable fact that HMG/N and RNA have been unable to penetrate and disrupt the Maoists' superlative command and communications network (the HQ of which is located in India), which seems to operate like clockwork. Closely linked with this decisive factor is the use of threats to extort sizable sums of money. With the beginning of the tourist trekking season in September, the Maoists will be able to blackmail thousands of our valuable foreign guests in 'contributing' huge amounts to the Maoist cause: e.g. USD 100/Euro 100 per person in the Annapurna and Jiri-Phaplu circuits and even USD 200 p.p. from Simikot to the Tibetan-Chinese border.

There are reports that even in Khumbu proper (Lukla to Everest Base Camp), which is supposed to be non-Maoist infested, the terrorists have succeeded in exacting protection money from the locals. Why the RNA has been unable to stop this Maoist rapacity which directly fuels their insurgency is anybody's guess. Moreover, this definitely acts as a debilitating factor in a sector of the economy earning badly required foreign exchange and providing hard to come by jobs. The minister of tourism, of course doesn't loose any sleep over this. It's said that he is busy cleaning-up temples!

In the meantime, the seven-party agitation, supported by radical students and unethical professional bodies, unable to mobilize substantial public support, are looking at innovative ways and means to discredit the royal regime. They and the so-called 'civic society' – a band of rabble-rousers (it would not be appropriate to name and elevate them to prominence) – have now called on the American ambassador to deny the King and the royal entourage US-visas to participate in the forthcoming crucial session of the UN world summit and General Assembly. This is not only a very naïve and half-witted proposal, it also illustrates most transparently how low these political and civic 'leaders' can stoop. Needlessly to say, the Americans would not provoke such a diplomatic incident, since Nepal still rates as a friendly country.

These political dons are also threatening the King with the specter of an imminent 'republic' (in the vanguard Koirala and his jaded daughter), as if such a decision was theirs, and theirs alone. If they are virulently shying away from parliamentary elections, how do they expect to establish a constituent assembly to discuss the issue, or even to organize a referendum? After all these demagogues have been clamouring for 'total democracy' and people's sovereignty, and in such an important subject as the form of state, the people should inevitably be consulted, or not? Are these leaders and their advisers, beyond the shadow of a doubt, not dimwits? That they are, so far, off from the pulse of the people is clearly reflected in their cowardly wall of silence regarding the Pili massacre and consequent gross violation of human rights.

The double-standards and machinations of the national and international human rights groups–long suspected now tragic reality—have come to the fore with regard to the atrocities of the Maoists in Pili. The butchering and mutilation of non-combatant pioneers is a crying shame. Reactions, if any, are too lukewarm and slow. All these INGOs with high-sounding names like Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch, are just dragging their heels and the western-funded NGOs are cravenly silent.

Unfortunately, the royal regime is also at its wits' end. One government minister, Badri Prasad Mandal, has idiotically warned that the agitating parties will also be classified as 'terrorists', should the Maoists be welcomed into their infamous campaign. What will the royal regime undertake, if there is a joint demonstration in the streets of Kathmandu? Call out the army to shoot at the people and provoke further international sanctions? Then there is the minister for propaganda, Tanka Dhakal, incessantly extolling the state of the nation and how vastly improved the security situation has become after 02/01 – in the Valley or the countryside? Except for Kathmandu, the Maoists still impose general strikes, road-blocks and closures, murder gruesomely and extort money – all with impunity. Having nothing better to do, the regime sent the King on a public relations exercise to the eastern provinces — the very region where Maoist oppression still continues unabated.

In the international sphere, the royal regime finds itself in the doldrums. The UK and USA have definitely written off Nepal as belonging to India's sphere of influence (or dominance?) – the emerging and shining regional power and US American strategic global partner of choice. Our political dons have also tacitly accepted this fact — the willing slaves of their Indian masters. India's flagrant support of the Nepalese Maoists is of no consequence to Bush in his world-wide war on terror (or euphemistically in neo Bush-speak: 'global struggle against violent extremism') and the strategic policy of containing China in the long-run.

There was lingering hope that PR China would be a countervailing force, but this has been dashed to the ground. The Chinese leadership is in no mood to challenge US supremacy at the present juncture, since its security concerns are concentrated in the eastern Pacific seaboard. The south-western flank is considered stable, the Dalai Lama and his government-in-exile only minor irritants and India not perceived as a threat.

Sikkim has finally been recognized as part and parcel of the Indian Union and there has even been a secret Sino-Indian agreement with regard to Nepal's Kalapani area. China is concentrating — in her own national interests — on economic development, raising the living standard of the people and intensifying international trade, above all with India, Western Europe and the USA. China will, therefore, avoid foreign adventures which would jeopardize its economic bandwagon. Foreign minister Pandey will, besides 'window-dressing diplomacy', basically return empty-handed in our existential concerns.

What is to be done in our miserable situation? We can only hope and pray that the King will ignore his unproductive and self-serving advisers for once, dismiss the comatose royal regime and pave the way for a representative and clean-image government willing and able to shoulder responsibility and face accountability and above all to give life to the royal statement of 02/01.

(The writer can be reached at: shashipbmalla@hotmail.com)
http://bangladesh-web.com/view.php?hidDate=2005-08-22&hidType=OPT&hidRecord=0000000000000000057736

The above comment of sword9 appear exceedingly broad as it is merely based on the comments I have made on this forum and bears no relationship to the actual contents of the book where intelligence issues play only a supporting role to the oft repeated objectives of Indian politicians, religious leaders and analysts that clearly enunciate an Akhand Bharat and domination over the South Asian region. As I have already mentioned this does not entail physical occupation.
My comments were based on the "extarcts" posted, there were factual errors in even in the form of timelines also.

The term "Akhand Bharat" as seen in India, means "United India" and not "Greater India". Not even a demented politician or political group would try and add to the current problems by expanding borders to include nations that have remained failures since the past 50 years.

But yes if a neighbouring nation will act against Indian interest then there will be consequences. There is nothing wrong in this policy, as every nations follows it.

But yes if a neighbouring nation will act against Indian interest then there will be consequences. There is nothing wrong in this policy, as every nations follows it.

This is the point I have been trying to make through my book and comments on this forum. The mere assertion of independence and sovereignty by a neighbouring country is a threat to India. If Pakistan desires to have Chinese military personnel and bases on their soil; or if Nepal wants to acquire arms from a country other than India; or if Sri Lanka wishes to lease out one of its strategically important ports or have some similar arrangement with a third country; or if Bangladesh follows in Sri Lanka's or Pakistan's footsteps and decides to set up a naval base in Chittagong in cooperation with a third country than all these moves will be interpreted by India as a hostile gesture although these are within the sovereign rights of these countries. It is only through the diplomatic, political, military, intelligence, and economic control of the region that can India safeguard its status as a regional power i.e. a modern interpretation of Akhand Bharat that does not require direct physical occupation.

CONs' comment -

This statement indicates a complete failure in understanding
From the details of your book which has been posted here,could I derive the same conclusion about you.

For long RAW has been supporting the Maoists in Nepal which is substantiated by the Nepali writers who contributed four chapters to the book. The Indians, however, have now turned their backs on the Maoists and are instigating a rebellion in the Terai region of the country.

How do I believe that the Nepali writers are not biased? And they are not displaying a one sided story?
You mean to say that RAW would try to instigate trouble in a country which has India friendly government? For years India has been worried about spilling over of Maoist effect into India due to the conflict in Nepal and you are suggesting it has been created by India?
And Mr. Munshi may we know, according to opinion what was the objective of RAW to create trouble in a already India dependent country?

In the case of Sri Lanka prior to the IPKF intervention the Indian government (through RAW) had been providing the LTTE with logistical and tactical support which only stopped after they betrayed the LTTE (due to upheavals in Tamil Nadu) which resulted in the assassination of the Indian PM Rajiv Gandhi by a LTTE hit squad. Even then B. Raman a former RAW chief has recently shown some sympathy towards the LTTE indicating his support if they drop their leader who was directly implicated in the Indian PM assassination.

It is not a secret that RAW created LTTE.Every one knows that. Come on when you like to point out how "Hindus oppress Muslims in India and the need to break the domination of the evil Hindus",how come India is at fault when assisting a group of people who share commonality with TamilNadu,who were been treating like a second class citizen?
Mr. Munshi do enlighten me if Tamilians have equal rights as Sinhalese? Hell the Indian Army even gave Jaffna on the hands of SLA,but they still lost it. And ofcourse you like to blame India.

There are already signs that RAW is providing covert assistance to the LTTE as recently thousands of Indian made ball bearings (used in explosives) were discovered on a LTTE ship. The attack on a Sri Lankan airfield by LTTE aircraft which Indian radars failed to pick up raises questions about Indian sincerity towards the Lankan government.
India does not provide offensive weapon to SLA becoz the Sinhalese are bent of finding a military solution for the problem. Do you think India would like to see a LTTE dominated country on the north of srilanka? A country which would become a center for drugs and weapons market?
As far the ball bearing goes,Tamilians on the India side were actively supplying weapons and resources to LTTE when Indian Army was fighting with them. So a bunch of ball bearings is a indisputable proof of RAW involvement?

And yes the radar. Please do explain to me how come SL never before has complained about the radar? Are you saying that they happen to switch it on only when LTTE bombed the base and they found it fautly? I assume that SLAF uses it for daily operation? It fails only on a LTTE raid!

And Mr.Munshi have ever tried to watch a small plane as used by LTTE in the sky during dark? Can you make out if it carried a bomb? If Indian radars failed what happened to the international airport radar? Didn't they detect it? If yes what was SLAF doing ? As you said it is afterall Indian conspiracy.

As for Bangladesh the two ladies have been forced to stop their squabbling through the intervention of the military but this has aggravated tensions with India which prefers political instability in the country.

so which side according to you if supported by India would bring stability?
Sheikh Hasina,Khaleda Zia or the Army? How are each better from another?

Mr Munshi,do you deny the presence of ULFA training camps in Bangladesh?
Do you deny ULFA funding the political parties in Bangladesh?
Do you deny UULFA leaders residing in Dhakka?
Since you know so much about RAW,let me hear what do you know about Bangladesh intelligence.

The India Doctrine is not only ideology driven but also resource driven hence the much touted investment by Tata. The reason that Tata is so interested in Bangladesh is so that it can monopolize certain of our natural resources for the Indian interest at rates that are disproportionately favorable to them. If India actually practiced fair trade with its neighbours the Indian economy would collapse and so it has to dominate and harass to maintain its unfair leverage over competing economies.
What were Tata's investing in? Definitely not Natural gas? That is the only worth while resource in Bangladesh.
Mr Munshi what does India "unfairly" export from Bangladesh? I definitely like to hear. Since as you suggested that Indian economy is dependent on the "fair" trade with it's neighbors, I am very eager to know what does India's neighbors have which India so eagerly desires?

RAW is enemy of Nepal, Bangaladesh, China and Pakistan

Dr. Sabitri Chaudhary

I..K. Gujral, former prime minister of India and Nepal's friend, was sent off to Russia during the late Indian prime minister Indira Gandhi's era. He was trained under the Russian Communist ideology and was assigned to look after a project called RAW whose objective was to build a strong Indian spy network in Asian and achieve Indian stronghold in the region.

The modus operandi of RAW was to interfere in the neighboring nation's internal affairs in such a way that they are engulfed in their won internal affairs and India could freely interfere in their internal affairs; encroach their border as well. The recent publication of a false report on the Internet against Nepal and Pakistan shows how unprofessionally this organization is operating.

Though the Indian government has denied any official bearing on the report, when over it comes in terms to the issue related to Nepal, the Indian foreign policy makers, ruling parties, opposition parties and the media unite together share a common negative perspective against Nepal. This way, it can never be accepted that the India government had no hands in publicising the report.

The fabrication of fictional characters and their terrorist activities are woven with such a lie that any civilized and democratic nation anywhere in the world would find it amusing to see the seasoned Indian propagandists lose so much of their credibility. RAW interfered in Sri Lanka affairs and the impact it created is still disturbed the peaceful country, was almost split in to two nations. As the saving goes, "he who's the witch acts as the witch acts as the witch doctor himself", the present Indian BJP government has now allotted USD $ 10 million as aid to the Sri Lanka government which is a paradox.

Bhutanese refugee problem in Nepal was also formulated by RAW from which Nepal is suffering a lot. RAW is also assisting the Nepali Maoists movement in supplying weapons and conducting guerrilla training and identifying remote and inaccessible 22 districts like Rolpa, Rukum, and Jajarkot for easy Maoists operation. Though Sri Lanka has been granted economic aids, the BJP government on the other hand neither takes any initiative to solve the root cause there nor does it speak anything against the Tamil Nadu leader Karuna Nidhi of DMK to stop his activities in Sri Lanka. India is also not free from the risk of being split up from problems with ULF As and Kashmiries.

But to cover it all up, to put an illusion on its own citizens, the government is performing all these theatrical gestures like providing donations to Sri Lanka. Unlike the Himalayan Blunder of 1962, the late Prime Minister Rajeev Gandhi had to enforce his military force into Sri Lanka to settle problems which India itself had created earlier. Later, the Indian army was compelled to pull out in defeat bearing a loss of more than 1500 army personnel.

As the saying goes: "those who plan poison tree well later be eaten up by the same tree", Rajeev Gandhi was assassinated by the Tamils themselves. Likewise, late Indira Gandhi also had planted a poisonous tree in the name of Saint General Singh Vindarwala. The interference of the Indian forces in the holy Punjabi Golden Temple in Amritsar, the killings of the separatists all added up to the assassination of Indira Gandhi. It is because the poisonous tree she had planted earlier had grown old and she couldn't uproot it. This is the price the Indian are paying for separating Bangladesh from Pakistan. The Pakistanis are now in possession of nuclear weapons.

Maybe they didn't succeed in making Punjab and independent nation, but they won't let Kashmir issue passes away easily. Like 'tit for tat' the Pakistani Inter Service Intelligence (ISI) is there to counter the RAW. There are so many spy networks working under-cover of diplomatic mission. But still Nepal has not been able to carry out any action against Raw. On the other hand, the situation in Bangladesh is also not stable.

The People's Republic of China is also fighting Muslim separatists and it is being extra sensitive to the Indian politics. Down south, the military government of Burma is also facing separatist power though they are suppressing their people by military rule. What I want to point out from all the above scenarios is "What is the sole element responsible for such instability? The ultimate cause is the infamous organization RAW and its unethical activities. Because of not only the Bangaladesh and Pakistan are are suffering but also even Indian herself is in a big trauma and has already started explaining about cross border terrorism.

http://bangladesh-web.com/view.php?hidDate...000000000056999

How do I believe that the Nepali writers are not biased? And they are not displaying a one sided story?

It would seem from your analysis that only the Nepalese, Bangladeshis, Sri Lankans and Pakistanis are all biased but not Indian writers.

You mean to say that RAW would try to instigate trouble in a country which has India friendly government?

Yes I would.

For years India has been worried about spilling over of Maoist effect into India due to the conflict in Nepal and you are suggesting it has been created by India?

Yes I would.

And Mr. Munshi may we know, according to opinion what was the objective of RAW to create trouble in a already India dependent country?

Its effort to become independent by seeking military equipment from a third country.

Mr. Munshi do enlighten me if Tamilians have equal rights as Sinhalese?

Yes they do. I think the Sri Lankan government also recognizes this that is why Col. Karuna was able to make common cause with them against the LTTE.

Do you think India would like to see a LTTE dominated country on the north of srilanka? A country which would become a center for drugs and weapons market?

This is the reason why RAW prefers continuous instability in that region of Sri Lanka.

As far the ball bearing goes,Tamilians on the India side were actively supplying weapons and resources to LTTE when Indian Army was fighting with them. So a bunch of ball bearings is a indisputable proof of RAW involvement?

I said it was indicative of RAW collusion.

As you said it is after all Indian conspiracy.

This is certainly the belief of a large section of Sri Lankan society.

So which side according to you if supported by India would bring stability? Sheikh Hasina,Khaleda Zia or the Army? How are each better from another?

India has tended to support elements within the Awami League but has also infiltrated other political parties and state institutions through RAW. RAW has been most active amongst journalists, cultural personalities and certain human rights groups that have secessionist tendencies like the HRCBM. India's purpose is not the establishing of stability in Bangladesh but to instigate instability to serve their purpose of control.

Mr Munshi,do you deny the presence of ULFA training camps in Bangladesh? Do you deny ULFA funding the political parties in Bangladesh? Do you deny UULFA leaders residing in Dhaka?

These are allegations that have been made by India but have never been proven. In such a densely populated country such as Bangladesh if training camps existed they would have been discovered long ago. If India is so sure about these training camps why has it never been able to produce satellite or photographic imagery of their existence. So far there has been no evidence provided that political parties in Bangladesh fund ULFA and such an allegation is absolutely absurd. I also deny that ULFA leaders are residing in Dhaka as I have never personally seen them and no photographs have been produced to show that they are in this country.

Since you know so much about RAW,let me hear what do you know about Bangladesh intelligence.

I know that Bangladesh intelligence does not engage in destabilizing tactics which is the hallmark of RAW and the only country in South Asia that complains about Bangladesh intelligence is India whereas every other country in the region has complaints against Indian intelligence. You do not see Pakistan, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Maldives, Bhutan make accusations against Bangladesh intelligence but they have all had bad experiences with RAW.

What were Tata's investing in? Definitely not Natural gas? That is the only worth while resource in Bangladesh.

In fact it was coal and natural gas.

Mr Munshi what does India "unfairly" export from Bangladesh? I definitely like to hear. Since as you suggested that Indian economy is dependent on the "fair" trade with it's neighbors, I am very eager to know what does India's neighbors have which India so eagerly desires?

India's neighbours can produce any type of goods better and cheaper than India that is why it puts up unfair tariffs on these imports to protect its market from competition.

i think that becuase of india's meddling into the matters of sri lanka. the government is going to turn towards pakistan. with all due respect to MR Munshi sir might i add that ISI's intension in lanka and in Nepal are all that admirable.

i think that becuase of india's meddling into the matters of sri lanka. the government is going to turn towards pakistan.

Sri Lanka has already turned to Pakistan for assistance which has caused immense worry in India and was the reason behind the RAW assassination attempt on Pakistan's High Commissioner. While the High Commissioner survived four Sri Lanka Army commandos and three bystanders died of the suspected C-4 plastic explosion.

On the other hand you will find many writers that say Pakistan and China are evil and India is truely helping Srilanka. Butofcourse, they are on RAW's pay isnt it Munishiji while you are the 'true writer'!

First of all everyone is evil. if ones talks to the Tamil pakistan is biggest devil right now. its all about perspective which one you are looking from makes the difference.

^^^^Exactly. So according to Munshiji' in his book the 'other selfish and corrpt and misguided' people support and write supporting India. Ofcourse HE is none of those! as he hates India.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom