What's new

Brazilian air force may buy f-18

Moderators lockdown the Thread. News is from crap source, I have gone through all credible aviation sources non had pointed out that Brazil may buy F18E/F for F-X2 competition on the contrary it is Boeing that expects F18 to win...The news is Brazil has not decided and all 3-4 contenders are participating.

Brazilian Air Force/Navy kept upgrading A-4s and Air Force F-5s/Mirage 2000s and expect to withdrawn them from 2030 [realistically 2025] shows Brazil has problems with Funding not that Funds are not available but Funds have been channeled to much important economic activities. F-X2 is a program will not replace but add 36-42 new Aircrafts because MIII have been retired and 12 M2000 were procured in 2005-2007.

It was confirmed by Dilma on France that they cant define the FX-2 until the country "grows again on aceptable numbers".

I don't think so. I mean even when MRCA bids were ongoing a hell load of english-language journalists were saying that Super Hornet was in the lead, Typhoon was in the lead and that Rafale was dead already and how US would sweep the show with with taking the deal. In the end, it was a shocker to everyone.

Brazil's air force is experienced with Mirage 2000s which is the predecessor of Rafales. OTOH they will need to learn the SH from scratch.

The only way US can win this deal with a leftist Rousseff regime in Brasilia is to offer something BIG to Embraer in partnership that French cannot.

Unlikely scenario because Embraer and US government have already been at odds after the USAF canceled LSA program's Brazilian contendership in favor of US companies after they complained of not giving local industries a chance. The Afghan air force was to acquire the A-29 or EMB-314 Super Tucano that was to be bought by USAF. This cancellation of Brazil's contendership caused a shytestorm between the two countries.

For all we know, judging by the unpredictable end results of all previous bids internationally, who knows Gripen might come out as the winner.

Rafale was Lula government's favorite while Gripen was said to be the choice by Brazil's pilots.

I don't think so. I mean even when MRCA bids were ongoing a hell load of english-language journalists were saying that Super Hornet was in the lead, Typhoon was in the lead and that Rafale was dead already and how US would sweep the show with with taking the deal. In the end, it was a shocker to everyone.

Brazil's air force is experienced with Mirage 2000s which is the predecessor of Rafales. OTOH they will need to learn the SH from scratch.

The only way US can win this deal with a leftist Rousseff regime in Brasilia is to offer something BIG to Embraer in partnership that French cannot.

Unlikely scenario because Embraer and US government have already been at odds after the USAF canceled LSA program's Brazilian contendership in favor of US companies after they complained of not giving local industries a chance. The Afghan air force was to acquire the A-29 or EMB-314 Super Tucano that was to be bought by USAF. This cancellation of Brazil's contendership caused a shytestorm between the two countries.

For all we know, judging by the unpredictable end results of all previous bids internationally, who knows Gripen might come out as the winner.

Rafale was Lula government's favorite while Gripen was said to be the choice by Brazil's pilots.

It was confirmed by Dilma on France that they cant define the FX-2 until the country "grows again on aceptable numbers".

Well Brazilian can afford to wait. They are the strongest military anyway in South America followed by Argentina and Venezuela.

Right now their immediate need is being fullfilled by Embraer's Super Tucanos as they are most critical for counter-drug and counter-insurgency strike roles.

Back
Top Bottom