What's new

British pair faces jail in Dubai over kiss

ejaz007

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan

DUBAI: A British pair caught kissing in public in Dubai face up to a month in jail in the Gulf Arab emirate for indecency after an Emirati mother complained her child had seen their indiscretion.

The pair, a British man living in Dubai and a female friend were arrested on accusations of kissing and touching each other intimately in public and consuming alcohol, their lawyer said. They have been given a month’s jail sentence. The case is the third time in less than two years in which Britons have hit the headlines by falling foul of decency laws in Dubai, a flashy Muslim emirate popular with sun-seeking Western tourists and expatriates.

A lawyer for the pair, who launched an appeal on Sunday, said there had been no inappropriate kissing and the two were just friends. A verdict on the appeal is expected on April 4.

“There was no lip or French kissing. It was just a normal greeting that is not considered offensive,” lawyer Khalaf al-Hosani told the court, adding the complainant’s testimony was contradictory.

The British man’s mother in London said her son, Ayman Najafi, had vowed to clear his name. “My Ayman is a good boy, he’s very wise and mature. I can’t believe it,” his mother Maida Najafi was quoted as saying in The Independent. “He knows the rules over there. He would never do that. He wouldn’t even do it over here.” reuters

Daily Times - Leading News Resource of Pakistan

The British man’s mother in London said her son, Ayman Najafi, had vowed to clear his name. “My Ayman is a good boy, he’s very wise and mature. I can’t believe it,” his mother Maida Najafi was quoted as saying in The Independent. “He knows the rules over there. He would never do that. He wouldn’t even do it over here.”

as if she know every movement of her son, come on now:oops:. Btw, 1 month for kissing in public is an overkill, IMO. Moreover, it would be a let down for tourists.

self delete

Last edited:
did you guyz read the news?

The pair, a British man living in Dubai and a female friend were arrested on accusations of kissing and touching each other intimately in public and consuming alcohol, their lawyer said

They got what they deserved ;)

This is sad ! a turnoff for tourists ! however, they should respect the state/country laws as well where public affection is not accepted !

A warning or at most a small fine was better.

my personal opinion is its a bit harsh but if you go to another country you abide by their laws what is normal behaviour in your country might cause offence in some one else country like they say when in rome do as the romans do

This is not the first time something like this has happened, so they should have been aware of the consequences. It was very insensitive of them to behave like this considering the culture of the part of the world the are in. Dubai is very liberal and welcoming, but such fools just have to cross the line.

Sri Lanka arrests kissing couples

COLOMBO: Sri Lankan police have rounded up hundreds of young lovers for kissing in public following complaints that the overt displays of affection caused embarrassment to others, an official said on Thursday. Nearly 200 couples have been briefly detained in the districts of Matara and Kurunegala over the past two weeks, police spokesman Prashantha Jayakody told AFP. “We have taken them into custody for indecent behaviour at a public place,” Jayakody said. “Usually we free them after informing their parents. Charges are not pressed,” he said. A resident in the town of Matara, 160 kilometres south of Colombo, said young couples were sometimes acting intimately on the beach, as many could not afford the privacy of hotels. Sri Lankan police are also known to occasionally round up so-called “umbrella lovers” who shelter under parasols in scorching sun along the coastal promenade in the capital. afp

Daily Times - Leading News Resource of Pakistan

@all

You do not know what Fetishes are!! people tend to fulfill their fetishes!! like having sex in beaches of Muslim countries!! last time some british tourist were caught doing that!! it's all fetishes of human nature!

@all

You do not know what Fetishes are!! people tend to fulfill their fetishes!! like having sex in beaches of Muslim countries!! last time some british tourist were caught doing that!! it's all fetishes of human nature!

this deserves a big LOL.

There was this local joke about difference between west and India.

In India we can piss on roads but cant kiss on roads while in west you can kiss in the roads but cant piss on the roads..

:D:D:D:D

Just an eye wash for people's who doesnt know what goes on in dubai.

Media stunt at best, i have seen hundred's of couple's kissing and walking almost half naked on dubai's five star hotel's beach's, but no one could say a thing.

I have a friend in dubai, who called police there to inform that something going fish'y in there building, and police replied "mind ur own bizness".

as far as these british pair, unlucky at best but they deserve it. :cheers:

Back
Top Bottom