What's new

BSF calls 'Dhruv' choppers useless

sudhir007

Reaction score
BSF calls 'Dhruv' choppers useless - Indian Express

The Border Security Force (BSF) has written to the Government for replacing indigenous 'Dhruv' helicopters saying they did not fulfil its operational requirement.

"The Advanced Light Helicopters- Dhruv-- are not helpful in our operations like casualty evacuation and troop reinforcements. They are useless for us. Most of the times these helicopters are under servicing and there are issues about its capabilities to fly beyond a certain height," BSF sources said.

"We have informed the Home Ministry in this regard.

The helicopter keeps developing regular snags," they said.

The air wing in these naxal-affected areas is under the command of the Border Security Force (BSF) and is used by the personnel of CRPF, ITBP, SSB and state police forces.

The BSF air fleet at present has six ALH 'Dhruvs' and two more will soon be inducted.
The Home Ministry, meanwhile, has also finalised a deal to lease six additional helicopters from a private vendor after a tender in this regard was floated last year by the government.

"These helicopters will be in place by June this year and will help security forces deployed for anti-naxal operations,"the sources said.

The present fleet of 'Dhruvs' placed in Raipur (Chhattisgarh) and Ranchi (Jharkhand) are also out of work due to reasons of want of spare parts or requirements of servicing.

The BSF air fleet, according to sources, will also be inducting a large transport plane as the two Avros that it has are non-operational due to technical reasons.

Teething problems? I should think so. I don't think they have as yet streamlined the servicing/spares supply chain. The Dhruv is a good helicopter, no doubt about that.

Teething problems? I should think so. I don't think they have as yet streamlined the servicing/spares supply chain. The Dhruv is a good helicopter, no doubt about that.

dhruv is an excellent copter no doubt ....but i think bsf is talking about operational difficulties with these marvellous helis.......they shud be provided with more drones though.......

^^^
No we need more and more transport choppers for anti-naxal operations along with some UAVs....

baseless rant... Dhruv is service with many client, they never claimed any thing like this... Service ceiling of dhruv is very good...

Look like BSF has no resources to use these birds...

It is in Indian pysche to reject indigenous in favour of foreign products. Put a ' Made in Japan' sticker on Dhruv and these same people will be all praise for the machine.The Home Ministry should tell the security forces to either work with them or take a hike.

But we continue to read reports that say that the BSF air wing is facing severe shortages of pilots and technicians and hence most of the Mil mi-8's and Dhruv's remain un-utilized for the anti naxal operations!
Edit-Hasn't Turkey placed an order for the Cas-Evac variant of the Dhruv?
It can carry the Bolivian president but not injured soldiers?Hilarious........!

But we continue to read reports that say that the BSF air wing is facing severe shortages of pilots and technicians and hence most of the Mil mi-8's and Dhruv's remain un-utilized for the anti naxal operations!

Harpoon post is apt for there psyche , I have better proverb for them..

Nanch na jaane , angan thedha...

Rather than getting pilots and technicians, they are blaming the bird...

Dhruv was produced by HAL and its blueprints were made in 1955....This helicopter cant beat Lama in durability...i am sure if HAL had consulted ISRO and TATA Group of Industries the service ceiling would have been tripled of what it is now but who cares....the corrupt members of Congress only care about their kick-backs and foreign trips...now wasted millions of dollars on this project and in the end we ended up with this useless piece of junk.....BSF and NSG should use them as target drones :tup:

It is in Indian pysche to reject indigenous in favour of foreign products. Put a ' Made in Japan' sticker on Dhruv and these same people will be all praise for the machine.The Home Ministry should tell the security forces to either work with them or take a hike.

The guys in the frontline betting their lives riding these choppers have the first say in what work and what doesn't work. Your life is not on the line riding these choppers so your option is worthless. It's well known that Indian goods are subpar compared to foreign goods. The Japan-made choppers would definitely be better.

You need a bigger chopper for troops deployment and casualty evacuation, Mi-17 fits the job better than dhruvs.

Apaches with UAVS should be used to support ground forces. Continue working on our products or correct the issues the BSF have. At least list the issues properly. The reason s given are not in depth at all.

You need a bigger chopper for troops deployment and casualty evacuation, Mi-17 fits the job better than dhruvs.

Better-Yes,But tagging them as totally incapable is utter foolishness.Dhruv is a better helicopter in terms of man power required to keep it in the air and fuel burnt as the older Mi-8's with the BSF have outdated and inefficient engines.The Dhruv's are also capable of flying to greater heights burning lesser fuel[I think!] which means that they are perfect for the job.The BSF's air wing is as good as Mr.Advani's secularism.
The pilots of the Army Air corps fly these to the Siachen battlefield day in and day out without any hassles but according to the BSF air wing,these cannot hover over 30 foot trees?Is there any logical reasoning behind these statements?
BTW the BSF also flies the 22 century Avro HS-748 but finds them to be world class?!

Back
Top Bottom