What's new

But I have promises to break

Iggy

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
Every politician is a ‘promising' politician; Narendra Modi, it appears, is “emphatically a promising politician”, as G.K. Chesterton put it.

Modi had promised to get back all the black money from abroad within 100 days of becoming PM, and make us richer by Rs15 lakh each. It has been 200 days since he became PM, and we aren't any richer. No issue. None of us had booked a limousine counting on the Rs15 lakh.

The Manmohan regime had held back names of the blackmoneyed people, citing international treaties. Foul, cried Modi and his men; they are protecting someone. Now Arun Jaitley says he can't give out names.

When in opposition, the BJP had wanted the Henderson Brooks report on the 1962 war to be published. There is dirty stuff about Nehru in the report—was the insinuation raised when successive regimes said no. Jaitley even wrote a blog on why it is in national interest to make old war records public.

A month and a half after Jaitley became minister, an MP asked for the report. Perish the thought, Jaitley replied: “This is a top secret document.... Release of this report... would not be in national interest.” Whoosh! His old blog also vanished!

Ever since Viceroy Lord Wavell stamped ‘Top Secret' on the papers concerning Netaji Bose's plane crash in 1945, successive PMs have been letting no one see them. Even three government-appointed commissions, several MPs and Bose's own family haven't been given access to them. Something dirty about Nehru in them, so went the rumour. Rajnath Singh cried from Cuttack, Netaji's birthplace, that the country had a right to see those papers.

Last week, an RTI activist asked Modi's PMO for the Netaji papers. Good heavens! Revealing them would compromise our ties with a friendly power, replied the PMO.

When Pak troops shot at our border posts, Modi called Manmohan weak-kneed. When they beheaded two Indian troopers, Sushma ‘Salome' Swaraj asked for ten Pakistani heads. Now the figures given by Minister V.K. Singh, once an Army chief, show that Pak troops fired 424 times, and killed 17 Indians, after Modi came to power.

Six months in power, Modi's chickens are coming home to roost. The opposition in Parliament, though minuscule, is giving hell to the ministers, and Modi is nowhere to be seen in the houses. Planning Minister Rao Inderjit Singh cut a sorry figure the other day when he tried to explain to the CPI(M)'s P. Rajeev whether the Planning Commission was dead or alive. It appears it is neither.

Looks like Modi is clueless on what to do with the commission. In his I-Day speech, he said it was better to rebuild it than repair it. Then he asked India's many million key-pad thinkers to give their suggestions on a web forum. Next he called a meeting of the disbanded commission itself to suggest what to do. A few took it as a joke and didn't attend. Now he has called an ideas session with chief ministers and chief secretaries on December 7.

Modi's MPs' worry lay elsewhere. Millions of farmers had voted them, believing Modi's manifesto promise to pay them 50 per cent more than what they had spent to produce their grain. But what the farmers have got so far is not 50 per cent more, but just 50 rupees more for wheat. Now with world grain prices falling, farmers would be lucky if they get the cost price.

TAILPIECE: Congressmen are no angels. They had come to power in 1991, giving a time-table for implementing each manifesto promise. But a day or two after he was sworn in, finance minister Manmohan Singh, a political greenhorn then, glibly told a press conference that politicians make many such promises to garner votes, all of which can't be kept. Hell broke in the Congress; finally, PM Narasimha Rao had to intervene to pacify his party Mps.

The Week | But I have promises to break

He just has realised the difference between endless political drama baazi and the reality of running a huge country as well as his limits as a PM in the face of regional power dynamics and international politics.

He just has realised the difference between endless political drama baazi and the reality of running a huge country as well as his limits as a PM in the face of regional power dynamics and international politics.
He was aware of all of the above before he even ran for Prime Ministership.
He was running a large state of India for 15 years, not a political novice.

What he has to do will come in his second term, his first term is consolidating power and changing the Indian economy - that would give him the muscle to pursue other intersts. He and his think tank have a 15 year perspective.

You should start evaluating Modi's performance once he complete his govt. complete mid term. Take chill pill for now :pop:

He was aware of all of the above before he even ran for Prime Ministership.
He was running a large state of India for 15 years, not a political novice.

What he has to do will come in his second term, his first term is consolidating power and changing the Indian economy - that would give him the muscle to pursue other intersts. He and his think tank have a 15 year perspective.
That might be true but they only have a five year mandate. the "ache din" has still not reflected on the ground, the prices of veg are still higher than before.
the problem was that he came to power with a lot of promise , if he is not able to live up the the expectation of the common man the bjp will suffer down the line. whether its five or ten yrs down only time will tell.

That might be true but they only have a five year mandate. the "ache din" has still not reflected on the ground, the prices of veg are still higher than before.
the problem was that he came to power with a lot of promise , if he is not able to live up the the expectation of the common man the bjp will suffer down the line. whether its five or ten yrs down only time will tell.
True, but I disagree slightly. The prices have stabilized hugely compared to before. The citizens are far better off today than they were a year ago.
And I agree, since he had come with a lot of promise, if he does not deliver, the people will turn against him.

In any case, I will judge him on 4 parameters:
1. Taxation reform : Bringing GST
2. Labour Law reform
3. Direct Tax Code implementation
4. Ease of Business Rankings.

If he is able to bring the first 3 points and bring India's Ease of Doing Business rank under 100 ( currently our rank is 142 out of 180 countries, we are currently behind Bangladesh and even Pakistan right now), then I will vote for him again.

If he is able to do these 4 points, then India from grow at a minimum of 8% growth rate on its own for a decade.
If he fails in these mentioned points, then regardless of anything else, including Hindutva/Pakistan/swach bharat/xyz, I will vote for someone else.

You should start evaluating Modi's performance once he complete his govt. complete mid term. Take chill pill for now :pop:
Too long. People have already started judging. At best his honeymoon period will end after the next budget in April/May. He has to start converting his Lok Sabha majority into tough legislations that the Opposition hates but is essential for our future. The ones I mentioned above are most critical for our future.

( currently our rank is 142 out of 180 countries, we are currently behind Bangladesh and even Pakistan right now),

that was uncalled for - fyi - Bangladesh is at 173 and Pakistan at 128, Power shortages and terrorism two major factors hampering us. We are working on both and will fix earlier than your expectation and will be back on track soon. But yeah you can continue massaging your ego by ridiculing Pakistan for sometime.

True, but I disagree slightly. The prices have stabilized hugely compared to before. The citizens are far better off today than they were a year ago.
And I agree, since he had come with a lot of promise, if he does not deliver, the people will turn against him.

In any case, I will judge him on 4 parameters:
1. Taxation reform : Bringing GST
2. Labour Law reform
3. Direct Tax Code implementation
4. Ease of Business Rankings.

If he is able to bring the first 3 points and bring India's Ease of Doing Business rank under 100 ( currently our rank is 142 out of 180 countries, we are currently behind Bangladesh and even Pakistan right now), then I will vote for him again.

If he is able to do these 4 points, then India from grow at a minimum of 8% growth rate on its own for a decade.
If he fails in these mentioned points, then regardless of anything else, including Hindutva/Pakistan/swach bharat/xyz, I will vote for someone else.

Too long. People have already started judging. At best his honeymoon period will end after the next budget in April/May. He has to start converting his Lok Sabha majority into tough legislations that the Opposition hates but is essential for our future. The ones I mentioned above are most critical for our future.
The only thing which is cheaper today than a year ago is fuel, and thats cuz the global prices for crude has fallen , things (at least daily use) are not cheaper.
This election was won by the bjp on the platform of reducing costs and improvement of our economy . and its on these points they will be judged.

if you are unhappy with modi's performance..i wonder what was your reaction during previous govt...you can google n find hundreds of articles that are either pro-modi or not so-pro...

Shows nothing new...except that you don't like modi.

Yes, some Indians have started to realize the mistake they committed in the past elections. But bear with us for 4 years and 5 months more.

that was uncalled for - fyi - Bangladesh is at 173 and Pakistan at 128, Power shortages and terrorism two major factors hampering us. We are working on both and will fix earlier than your expectation and will be back on track soon. But yeah you can continue massaging your ego by ridiculing Pakistan for sometime.
My apologies. I did not mean for it to come across as ridicule. Pakistan comes last to mind in economic related issues because it has posted the lowest growth rates for a few years now.
With many major projects in Pakistan coming online, I am certain your growth rates will improve in the coming years.

if you are unhappy with modi's performance..i wonder what was your reaction during previous govt...you can google n find hundreds of articles that are either pro-modi or not so-pro...

Shows nothing new...except that you don't like modi.
Not unhappy with Modi's performance but below my expectation of him. Maybe my expectations were not realistic.
Though of course it is too early to judge and therefore I said that we must atleast wait for the second budget of this Government before we pass any judgement.

Comparing Modi's Govt to Manmohan's Govt is unfair to Modi. Its like comparing a tortoise to Ferrari and then some.

Not unhappy with Modi's performance but below my expectation of him. Maybe my expectations were not realistic.
Though of course it is too early to judge and therefore I said that we must atleast wait for the second budget of this Government before we pass any judgement.

Comparing Modi's Govt to Manmohan's Govt is unfair to Modi. Its like comparing a tortoise to Ferrari and then some.

wasn't directed toward you. It was directed toward those faggots whose agenda 24/7 is to criticize BJP and call themselves "seculars" at the end of day.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom