What's new

Call for Beijing to work with Taiwan to reunify in Chinese-style democracy

4fdc2232a3907faa8843bf52e6776a52.jpg

Hau Pei-tsun says Beijing can learn from Taiwan's experiences.

Former Taiwanese premier Hau Pei-tsun called on Beijing to abandon any threat of force against Taiwan and work with Taipei to reunify the two sides under a new "Chinese-style" democracy.

The Kuomintang elder said Beijing could learn from Taiwan's experiences in implementing democracy since Kuomintang leader Chiang Kai-shek died in 1975.

He noted Lee Teng-hui's peaceful succession to president following Chiang's son, Chiang Ching-kuo, in 1988.

"Taiwan started democratic reform to end one-party rule and lifted a press ban when the domestic economy was taking off in the 1980s," said Hau, suggesting that mainlanders would desire similar political reforms as their living standard improves.

He proposed a "Chinese-style" alternative to Western-style democracy in which the number of political parties would be controlled.

"The [Chinese-style] democratic system couldn't allow too many political parities," he said.

Call for Beijing to work with Taiwan to reunify in 'Chinese-style' democracy | South China Morning Post

TROLLOLOL! :rofl: :cuckoo:

First, there's no the so called Chinese-style Democracy! Limited political party, example: two-political party...it's US democracy, not Chinese-style democracy. The real Chinese-style Democracy is Confucianism, the Chinese people-centric ideology! Taiwan is not a Confucian state, Taiwan is an imported democracy, a copycat of US democracy. Mainland government is far more resemble Confucian state than Taiwan.

Second, I think Hau Pei-tsun is lying here...Ended one-party rule was the start of the dark age of Taiwan. Like democracy and communism, both of them are not part of Chinese culture. We fail in communism (Mao era), as we fail too in democracy (Taiwan today!). Chinese people is only good with their own Chineseness!

Third, seeing Taiwan today, I don't think mainlanders desired to have a political reform like Taiwan did.

Btw, mainland China is no longer talking about political party anymore. Their political system is already beyond the debate about the role of political party.

The idea of the come back of KMT in mainland. Two political party system. It's like back to the stone age. It's actually pleasing Westerners, rather satisfying Chinese people.

Taiwan's KMT has died since Jiangjingguo's pass. The KMT I am respecting is the one that set up ROC and liberate Han from Manchu colonization.

The original KMT from the Xinhai revolution was entirely reformed by Dr. Sun himself in the 1920s. Dr. Sun originally believed in western style democracy and he changed in the 1920s and turned the KMT into a Soviet Leninist style single party dictatorship.

The Mongolian and Tibetan Affairs commision and reservation and affirmative action for minorities was always there, ever since the KMT ruled the mainland since 1927. Bai Chongxi was Defence Minister in the 1940s when KMT was on the mainland.

It's too early for China to become a democracy. China must become a developed country before this kind of political change comes in. Even the DPP is starting to realize that Taipei's future is with China, one country two systems may be a possibility in 20 years.

@Wholegrain @faithfulguy @dreamer53320 @Kolaps @Anonymous user thoughts on this ?

Fully agreed, also (not meaning to offend anyone) but I think the lower dredges of society needs to be educated and have equal moral standings. Usually a good democracy has laxer rules of law as its up to the citizens to be mindful of their actions, but from the cases of counterfeit milk powder etc there some indication things are not there yet. Once this is put in order it will be a sign of change.

As Chinese we just have too many vices, if society is not put right then these will bubble up just like HK and Singapore was in the 70's 80's.

Just my thoughts

Last edited by a moderator:
It's too early for China to become a democracy. China must become a developed country before this kind of political change comes in. Even the DPP is starting to realize that Taipei's future is with China, one country two systems may be a possibility in 20 years.

@Wholegrain @faithfulguy @dreamer53320 @Kolaps @Anonymous user thoughts on this ?

I think firstly I want to clarify the meaning of "democracy" to me. "Democracy" does not mean one person one vote to me because I believe in "meritocracy", and so my definition for "democracy" is the accountability and responsiveness of the government to the people. (Of course meritocracy doesn't block normal citizen from participating in the political system, it simply enforce a evolution-like selection to the mass that wants to participate). Although I think China should make the political participation more accessible to the normal people.

And back to the original question, I believe it is not too early for China to become a democracy. Because in contrast to the general belief, I think the transition of becoming a democratic country in China is already in progress. The governments are more responsive than ever (especially with the rise of Weibo and blogs), and the punishment for corrupted officials are wider/harsher than ever (the first 6 months of 2013, there's already 2000+ corrupted officials being punished).

To me, Taiwan's democracy has gone astray. In contrast to mainland, we have "TOO" many ways for normal citizen to influence policies or government decisions (it's a MESS). It has become 民粹 (populism) where the shadow of culture revolution can be seen. Although not as extreme, but "freedom" of expression etc are as selective as ever been in Taiwan. Voice of independence/China Basher/ USA,Japan kissers are tolerated and hailed, whereas the voice of reunification/ pro-China are tagged as "traitor" or those who "sold their soul".

However, the rapid changes of political atmospheres and tones in Taiwan have really amazed me in recent years. Like you mentioned, DPP is starting to realize. Despite their identity crisis looming larger and larger, DPP cannot directly go against the eagerness of people for peace.

I'm echoing with your conjecture that "one country two systems" may be a possibility in near/mid future (may even be faster!!??) And that this model can provide both sides the opportunity to really see the pro/cons of each system and learn from each other.

PS: I don't really support any party per se....I think we shouldn't judge a party's aptness/competency on their past doing but rather on the present. Even if a party did some terrible mistakes, as long as it can keep propel we Chinese's interests and well-being, I'll stand behind the party.

Last edited by a moderator:
The election/voting system is a joke, a guy with a silver tongue will only prove he is good at making speech, not necessarily a good leader and decision maker.

Obama is a prime example, he didn't make US better.

Most Chinese people have a different view about democracy, they need good life and a safe society, if CPC can fulfill this promise, they will rather have CPC to remain as the single dominant party.

The election/voting system is a joke, a guy with a silver tongue will only prove he is good at making speech, not necessarily a good leader and decision maker.

Most Chinese people have a different view about democracy, they need good life and a safe society, if CPC can fulfill this promise, they will rather have CPC to remain as the single dominant party.

I totally agree, "the vote" has been too glorified over other essentials such as the substance that supports good life and safe society. To me, American style democracy has become nothing but a new religious belief.

I think firstly I want to clarify the meaning of "democracy" to me. "Democracy" does not mean one person one vote to me because I believe in "meritocracy", and so my definition for "democracy" is the accountability and responsiveness of the government to the people. (Of course meritocracy doesn't block normal citizen from participating in the political system, it simply enforce a evolution-like selection to the mass that wants to participate). Although I think China should make the political participation more accessible to the normal people.

And back to the original question, I believe it is not too early for China to become a democracy. Because in contrast to the general belief, I think the transition of becoming a democratic country in China is already in progress. The governments are more responsive than ever (especially with the rise of Weibo and blogs), and the punishment for corrupted officials are wider/harsher than ever (the first 6 months of 2013, there's already 2000+ corrupted officials being punished).

To me, Taiwan's democracy has gone astray. In contrast to mainland, we have "TOO" many ways for normal citizen to influence policies or government decisions (it's a MESS). It has become 民粹 (populism) where the shadow of culture revolution can be seen. Although not as extreme, but "freedom" of expression etc are as selective as ever been in Taiwan. Voice of independence/China Basher/ USA,Japan kissers are tolerated and hailed, whereas the voice of reunification/ pro-China are tagged as "traitor" or those who "sold their soul".

However, the rapid changes of political atmospheres and tones in Taiwan have really amazed me in recent years. Like you mentioned, DPP is starting to realize. Despite their identity crisis looming larger and larger, DPP cannot directly go against the eagerness of people for peace.

I'm echoing with your conjecture that "one country two systems" may be a possibility in near/mid future (may even be faster!!??) And that this model can provide both sides the opportunity to really see the pro/cons of each system and learn from each other.

PS: I don't really support any party per se....I think we shouldn't judge a party's aptness/competency on their past doing but rather on the present. Even if a party did some terrible mistakes, as long as it can keep propel we Chinese's interests and well-being, I'll stand behind the party.

Totally agree!

But I think, China still need to prove how good they serve the people. Can it became equal or outperform Scandinavia countries? There are still a lot of homework need to be done.

I totally agree, "the vote" has been too glorified over other essentials such as the substance that supports good life and safe society. To me, American style democracy has become nothing but a new religious belief.

Democracy like public election is good at the local level.

But, it's a different story at the national level for something as big as US and China.

I don't think US is a democracy country at the national level, US is more assemble as authoritarian at that level, the same as China.

haha, most chinese people have been brainwashed by CCP and CCP use its medias to enslave the people. can rubbish CCP learn from KMT to educate the people about what is democracy, how to prptect their human right? Compared with KMT, CCP is definitely a bunch of *****

haha, most chinese people have been brainwashed by CCP and CCP use its medias to enslave the people. can rubbish CCP learn from KMT to educate the people about what is democracy, how to prptect their human right? Compared with KMT, CCP is definitely a bunch of *****

How can the CCP brainwash me if I grew up in Hong Kong before the handover? :P

Yet I still support the CCP. Because logically it is the CCP who have the best chance to return the Chinese civilization to greatness.

The KMT lost the civil war over half a century ago. They lost the mainland and they lost the source and authority of the Chinese civilization.

KMT killed 200 million Chinese and left China more backward than the Qing Dynasty, they will never be forgiven in China's history.

Go to overthrow CPC if you can, otherwise just shut the fck up.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom