What's new

Can Indian cinema go global?

Anyway, the names of movies you mentioned I only heard of "Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon". In India, people mostly see Hongkong based Kung-fu movies otherwise we could not find any good story in Chinese movies apart from Kung-Fu.

@Gotter i knew you would say 'CHINESE' movies (we know what you trying to say).... Some people here love to hide behind other nation FLAG.... Don't be ashamed to use your own country flag....

Ha Ha better do some research before talking bullshit.

I hope that sure did hurt your chinese ego :p:

Well, some Indians here do have somewhat distorted views on international cinema. I think it's pretty natural Götterdämmerung would bring up the Chinese cinema as it's one of the more successful non-Western countries in the international film circle in the last 30 years or so.

Indian did produce some truly remarkable directors, Satyajit Ray is a great example, just as one Indian member had mentioned. But it's also a fact India had little success in the art house cinema (where artistic merits instead of commercial selling power is most important) in the last 30 or 40 years.

A bit research will show in the last 30 years China produced more award-winning films in the undisputed top 3 international film festivals (Golden Bear@Berlin, Golden Palm@Cannes and Golden Lion@Venice) than any other non-Western countries, followed by Japan I think, and most of those awarding-winning directors came from the Mainland rather than Hong Kong or Taiwan.

For reference here's a list of Chinese directors with big three wins in the last 30 years:
Zhang Yimou(Mainland, twice Golden Lion, once Golden Bear)
Chen Kaige (Mainland, Golden Palm)
Xie Fei (Mainland, Golden Bear)
Wang Quan'an (Mainland, Golden Bear)
Jiang Zhangke (Mainland, Golden Lion)
Ang Lee (Taiwan, twice Golden Bear, twice Golden Lion)
Hou Hsiao-Hsien (Taiwan, Golden Lion)
Tsai Ming-liang (Taiwan, Golden Lion)

The only Indian director with a big three win in the last 30 years was Mira Nair (Golden Lion).

I'm not saying Indian cinema is not successful commercially, but in the international art film circle it is not near as influential as the Chinese cinema.

I have watched the 3 idiots, very good. But the last part about our south tibet territory makes me uneasy.

Bollywood is not Indian film industry, but just a part of it (the biggest part that is). Almost every language in India has its own film industry which caters to the local population. The most prestigious film award in India is the National Film Award aka Golden Lotus Award and majority of the times its won by films made in regional languages. For the last 2 years (2010 & 2011), it was won by Malayalam films :yahoo:

National Film Award for Best Feature Film - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

People outside India is not much aware of this awards as its glamour-proof. Its a typical 'sarkari' function with Indian president handing out awards and is not accompanied by dance or skit by film stars..but no amount of filmfare awards can equal one National Film Award. It is not be noted that Sharukh Khan with 8 filmfare awards did not received a National Award till now and neither is the other 2 Khans.

---------- Post added at 09:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:02 AM ----------

I have watched the 3 idiots, very good. But the last part about our south tibet territory makes me uneasy.

I think it was shot in Ladakh.

why not eh crimemaster-gogo is world famous in the subcontinent, you know what i am saying ? :D

critical awards and acclaims are very different from commercial success.......indian film making style is very different from west or from hongkong ,japan or china.songs and dances are part of our culture from the very ancient times and are integral part of story telling in india.we dont have to change our self to get recognition from the west and actually they have started to recognize our way of film making .........guess what our very own shahrukh khan is considered as the biggest movie star even by american media houses.

alphamale - let me tell you from my experience Bollywood films are more popular than ever in the UK. You are most correct and almost every Indian movie gets released in the UK. The market is huge with Indian, Pakistani, Bangladeshi fans. On top of that more and more English people are watching. I believe it wont need much of a push to go global! I think Jamie is living in planet uranus.
Geez I wasn't being offensive or anything as always you just want to have go at me. Admit at your Vue or whatever no one watches Indian films. You may do, but a normal citizen does not. Sorry. Almost every Indian movie gets released here. All 3000 of them???????? No. Have any of them been most popular or most critically acclaimed or anything? No. Sorry but it'll be a while yet.

Geez I wasn't being offensive or anything as always you just want to have go at me. Admit at your Vue or whatever no one watches Indian films. You may do, but a normal citizen does not. Sorry. Almost every Indian movie gets released here. All 3000 of them???????? No. Have any of them been most popular or most critically acclaimed or anything? No. Sorry but it'll be a while yet.

3000 movies are not released in India too in all cities. Earlier someone has mentioned many movies are made in regional languages and are shown in that particular territory.

For UK I think please check the link below and comment.

Shah Rukh Khan ON Jonathan Ross Show BBC part 2 of 2 - YouTube

Germans giving advice on creativity,hahaha,the most coldest temperment in the world.

Just take a good look at our sexy cars. Guess where Karl Lagerfeld comes from! Do you know the design forefather of iPhone, iPod and all the Apple products?

---------- Post added at 11:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:13 AM ----------

He is Chinese.

How creative! Your counteragument is guessing the nationality of the opponent. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Götterdämmerung;2319980 said:
Just take a good look at our sexy cars. Guess where Karl Lagerfeld comes from! Do you know the design forefather of iPhone, iPod and all the Apple products?
How creative! Your counteragument is guessing the nationality of the opponent. :lol:

What you're talking about are German achievements. Why dont you tell us all about chinese achievements instead? Learn to proud of who you are...not who you idealize.

Back
Top Bottom