What's new

Canada bans face veils for new citizens

Roybot

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
Canada's immigration minister has announced a ban on wearing face coverings such as burka and niqab veils when taking a citizenship oath.

"Starting today, any individual will have to show his or her face when taking the oath of citizenship," Immigration Minister Jason Kenney told a news conference in Montreal on Monday. "Allowing a group to hide their faces while they are becoming members of our community is counter to Canada's commitment to openness, equality and social cohesion," he explained.

The minister cited complaints from citizenship judges and others who said it was difficult to ensure individuals whose faces were covered were really taking the oath.

The new rule largely targets Muslim women, but with a total Muslim population of only 500,000 in a country of 34.5 million and only a trickle of Muslim immigration it is not expected to have a large impact.

Rather, it is widely viewed as another volley in a sometimes baneful public debate over veils in Canadian society.

Currently at airports, veiled Muslim women may opt to show their face only to a female security screener.They may also vote in elections without showing their face.

However, veils may soon be banned at government workplaces in Quebec, as well as in schools, nurseries and hospitals. The province is considering legislation that would force people to show their face in government-funded institutions or to access public services.

Canada's Supreme Court last week also heard arguments in a case where a Muslim woman wants to testify while wearing a niqab, pitting her right of religious freedom against her alleged rapist's right to face his accuser at trial.

Canada bans face veils for new citizens

When i see a burqa worn girl in middle of pack of modern girls who shape their life themselves and have all the fun in their life as they wish,i feel pity for them...they look so afraid,tamed...kinda like slaves who are veiled by their masters and collared..

this 15th century practice is becoming funny....This practice had no logic and is a great wall against women empowerment and stop them from achieving their desired goal...

And i know a muslim girl,she never wear burqa, just pant and shirts,Now she is a Graduate in CS and is going to do her masters in Computer science...
i Must say this girl is lucky and has all the fun she wants in her life than all other burqa covered girl out there

the ban is only while taking oath...during the ceremony...which is ok...
its not a perma ban or silly french ban.

what the f u mean u piece of crap, women are not forced to wear burqa, get ur facts right before posting crap.

hmmm you get your facts right ! My classmate a muslim girl her parents are quite modern both doctors when she joined college she came in jeans and all normal cloths but suddenly she started to wear burqua apparently some mullahs threaten her father of dire consequences.so much for freedom of choice.

hmmm you get your facts right ! My classmate a muslim girl her parents are quite modern both doctors when she joined college she came in jeans and all normal cloths but suddenly she started to wear burqua apparently some mullahs threaten her father of dire consequences.so much for freedom of choice.

see my facts are right, her parents didnt force her, nobody is allowed to force anyone in Islam, those mullahs are wrong, and sadly there are some wrong ppl in all religions.

nobody is forced to wear burqa, its upto women if they want to wear burqa or not.

We have a right-wing hardcore zionist Conservative govnt in place that is hell bent on restricting muslims freedoms in Canada. Recently they took away funding from Multiculture programs designed for Arabs n then banned George Galloway from entering Canada, n now this......

Well, I have seen both sides - women who choose to wear the burqa, and the ones who were forced to. Unfortunately, the latter was more prevalent.

The Canadians are right in enforcing this rule. It is their country, and they will set rules on how people should live and present themselves. Doesn't Saudi Arabia force women to cover themselves even though they are not Muslims?

what the f u mean u piece of crap, women are not forced to wear burqa, get ur facts right before posting crap.

Talking about respect for respect. Hey Mr. Torpedo, you're power tripping and bad mouthing. What did you have for dinner lastnight? Apparently, not your plate of meal. Who says women are forced to wear a burqa? Which part of what I said has anything to do with forcing women to wear a burqa? Apparently, you can't decode what I said. You are living in a country that give you the rights to say and do almost whatever you want, and they can also take away those rights if abused. In Canada, the law is above all. If you don't like the Canadian's policies, rules and regulations, go back to Pakistan. It's called paying respect when taking a Canadian citizenship oath by taking your hats off. Have some goddamn manners, Mr. Torpedo. :disagree:

I guess this should be OK with most people. I mean who knows who is taking the oath if the face is covered.

I think there are situations in which one must show her/his face like for Identity documents, Security check-ups and there are places/offices/gatherings where it is a good idea not to cover the face. Other than that every person should be free to do whatever she/he likes with their clothes.

Having said that I have rarely seen a burqa in Ontario, most ladies ( Muslim women) have their head covered though. I think they look dignified and beautiful. I don't know about religions, but in my view a Burqa is an excess in whichever sense one might think. Head Scarf is perfectly fine and having your face visible in a country like Canada should not put a woman in any kind of difficulty under normal circumstances. It also improves inter-personal communication while the burqa can bring a wide variety of thoughts in the mind of others sharing space with the burqa clad lady.

Back
Top Bottom