What's new

Canada May Back Out of F-35 Purchase

Lankan Ranger

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Canada May Back Out of F-35 Purchase

bilde

Canada’s associate defense minister said on March 13 that one of the most ardent supporters of the F-35 program could back out of a multi-billion purchase of the fighter jets.

“We have not as yet discounted the possibility of backing out of the program,” Minister Julian Fantino, responsible for military procurement, was quoted as telling the House of Commons defense committee.

According to Canadian media, he said the government remains committed to buying the jet, but noted that no contract has been signed.

Fantino was not available to confirm the comments, which were widely interpreted as a step back from Ottawa’s clarion defense of the costly F-35 program.

The Joint Strike Fighter is supposed to form the backbone of the future U.S. air fleet and 11 other allied countries have joined the program.

But defense officials have struggled to keep costs under control, with each plane’s price tag doubling in real terms over the past decade.

Ottawa has budgeted Can$8.5 billion to buy 65 F-35 fighter jets plus another Can$7.5 billion for lifetime maintenance.

Last month, Prime Minister Stephen Harper said his government would not spend more than this amount for new fighter jets, leaving open the possibility of scaling back the number of jets it buys to stay within budget.

Canada May Back Out of F-35 Purchase: Minister | Defense News | defensenews.com

wise decision....Canada shouldnt go for this sanction prone aircraft...and with kill-switches this plane is really a liability instead of asset.

wise decision....Canada shouldnt go for this sanction prone aircraft...and with kill-switches this plane is really a liability instead of asset.

Sanction Prone???? And Canada already uses CF-18s, plus they are one of the closest allies to the US so I don't see the problem.

As for the not buying the aircraft, its a wise choice the price is too high and currently Canada doesn't have that high of a need to get them, no to forget the aircraft had some problems. Wait till other countries buy it and see how well the aircraft does in the US air force, and then decide if you wanna buy the aircraft in large numbers.

i don't know why harper even considered it since we never needed it in the first place :coffee:

I think main reason being the CF18 are getting old, they entered service in the 1980's so the air force is looking for a replacement. I would say that they should look into EFT and the Rafale as the replacement. both are great aircraft, and can surely suffice the need, plus I bet UK will be happy with Canada buying EFT.

Our hornets are old and we need these bad boys to maintain our sovereignty over the arctic.

Our hornets are old and we need these bad boys to maintain our sovereignty over the arctic.

Not really Canada doesn't have any bad relation or land dispute with any country. Plus the whole arctic thing is a little too hyped in my opinion. Canada has a good and well equipped army, the only problem is that it relies on only one type of fighter aircraft which might jeopardize their air force capabilities.

this plane has some serious design flaw and its makers just want to sell it and get rid of it asap so that they can ditch the program in a respectable way.Canada should not waste money on it....its still unproven.....If i was the decision maker for canada i would go for Gripen or JF-17 in large numbers.

this plane has some serious design flaw and its makers just want to sell it and get rid of it asap so that they can ditch the program in a respectable way.Canada should not waste money on it....its still unproven.....If i was the decision maker for canada i would go for Gripen or JF-17 in large numbers.

Lol JF-17 is not world class plane... It's only for poor countries like Pakistan....

F-35 = money swallowing machine.

Go for some nice Rafales instead. And think about 5th generation ones later.

EF-2000 is good. I think that if Saudis have joined in the program in 1995 for procuring about 250-300 of these then this will help them replace those aging aircraft in their fleets. I hope that they will going to join in future programs as well.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom