Chandni Chowk to China

rajk20002002

BANNED
Warner Bros. Seeks Bollywood Share With Hindi Comedy (Update1)
Email | Print | A A A

By Michael White

Jan. 16 (Bloomberg) -- Warner Bros. makes a play for Bollywood fans with “Chandni Chowk to China,” the Hindi- language comedy that opens today in 50 U.S. cities, the widest debut in the country for an Indian film.

“Chandni Chowk” is the first of six Bollywood productions the Time Warner Inc. unit plans this year in India and markets including the U.S. and the U.K., Richard Fox, executive vice president for international films, said in an interview.

As Hollywood studios tailor more productions for growing markets such as India, they’re also targeting fans in the U.S., where overall ticket sales are falling. “Chandni Chowk” is being shown in cities such as New York and Los Angeles that have a significant ethnic South Asian populace.

“They see it as a growth market because the Indian and South Asian populations outside of India are growing so rapidly,” Gitesh Pandya, editor of New York-based Box Office Guru LLC, said in an interview.

The movie is being released simultaneously in countries with large South Asian populations that also include Germany, South Africa and Australia, Fox said.

Universal Pictures, owned by General Electric Co., has created a Focus Features International unit to produce and distribute movies for local foreign markets, and Sony Corp.’s Sony Pictures has a co-production deal with London-based Eros International to make Hindi-language films.

Admissions at theaters in the U.S. and Canada fell 5 percent last year as revenue dropped to $9.63 billion from $9.68 billion in 2007, according to Media By Numbers, a box-office tracker.

Indian Market

Reporting systems in India are inadequate to produce reliable market tallies, Pandya said. India’s 2008 box office was estimated at $2.23 billion by PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP, which forecasts 11 percent growth to $2.48 billion this year.

Local-language movies capture 95 percent of the India’s box office, with foreign studios sharing the rest, Fox said.

“You really have to do Indian films if you want to be a player,” Fox said.

In “Chandni Chowk,” Bollywood star Akshay Kumar plays a ne-er-do-well from New Delhi’s Chandni Chowk area. The promise of a fortune-teller leads him to China, where he is hailed as an ancient warrior reincarnated to overthrow the local crime boss. The film is opening in 130 theaters in the U.S. and Canada.

Warner Bros. signed director Nikhil Advani to a two-year deal to make three additional pictures.

“The global marketplace has opened up and gave us opportunity to dream a little bigger,” Advani said in an interview following a screening of the film in Burbank, California.

Time Warner, based in New York, rose 18 cents to $9.61 at 4:15 p.m. in New York Stock Exchange composite trading. The stock lost 39 percent last year.

‘Slumdog’ Appeal

The biggest U.S. debut for a Bollywood film was Kumar’s “Singh is Kinng,” which opened with more than $1 million in sales last year, Pandya said. “Chandni Chowk” may match it, given Kumar’s popularity and the wide release Warner is giving the film, he said.

The success of “Slumdog Millionaire,” from News Corp.’s Fox Searchlight, may create some crossover appeal for mainstream U.S. audiences, said Fox, the Warner executive. “Slumdog,” winner of four Golden Globe awards, including best drama, tells the story of a young Indian who seeks his fortune on a television game show.

“Slumdog,” made for about $15 million by director Danny Boyle, has taken in $44 million in worldwide ticket sales since its Nov. 12 release.

The two films are different in tone, Fox said. Shot on location in India, China and Thailand, the 154-minute “Chandni Chowk” provides the typical over-the-top Bollywood mix of song, dance, comedy and melodrama.

“Our film is very much a Bollywood movie,” Fox said. “It’s almost a different movie at different points in which you’re watching it.”

To contact the reporter on this story: Michael White in Los Angeles at Mwhite8@bloomberg.net.

Last Updated: January 16, 2009 16:37 EST

...........................................................................................

RK

This movie will be loss entailing for Warner Bros! Well they can blame it on the Global Meltdown ;)

This is attempt by Indian cinema to get its pakistani fans. They didnt like indian movies...ok...take the chineese noodles with Indian masala :)

Have to see pakistan response to this movie. Will they go with noodles or masala?

This is attempt by Indian cinema to get its pakistani fans. They didnt like indian movies...ok...take the chineese noodles with Indian masala :)

Have to see pakistan response to this movie. Will they go with noodles or masala?

u make no sense

yeah its not that great, as is the case with many of akkis recent movies!

na sik was good but his career isnt as he could make it
he just has to be wiser with picking his movies
p.s. i love ur newman avatar ;)

More than anything, the title of movie shows how people connect India and China internationally. I am sure next movie would be;

" Kuddi Sanghai di aur munda Ludhiyane da"

I am sure it will be a smash hit.

RK

Chandni Chowk to China is another humiliating attempt by some kamine hindus of india... See how racist the title song is... it begins, Chandni Chowk to China, dekha hain kabhi kya aina..!!! It means, I am telling this to all Chinese members of this forum, kamine hindus want to know whether all Chinese have seen their faces in mirrors...!! Some bujhdil kamine napak hindus have made a mockery of the physical features of Chinese people, they laugh at the shape of nose, eyes and height...

The instinctive character of a snake is to bite, if any one tries to make a friendship with a snake, he will get the poison.... and such persons are the most stupid persons on earth. Some indian hindus are genetically racist fascist zionist cruel brutal and they should be eliminated at any cost, any how InshAllah....

Not only that some kautilyan chankyan hindus use their napak chankyian sinister intention to diplomatically invade the rational humanistic ideologies of the neighboring countries. Such kamine hindus are now trying to expand the illegitimate indian empire by means of ideological warfare and indian media and bollywood are the instruments to defeat the good ideologies because for example Pakistan was built on ideology, and kamine hindus know if they can destroy the ideology the basis of Pakistan nation state, Pakistan will fall....

Chandnichowk to China is an effort to project that China was once a part of akhanda bharata.. the film will try to convince the global audience that it was akhanda bharata of some kamine hindus which gave birth to China, Chinese civilization in the same way as now some kamine hindus say akhanda bharata was the cradle of all civilization....

Saap ka fitrat hain dasna, saap se dosti nehi ki jate, uska sar kuchla jata hain...

Of course some Mir Jafars and Mir Sadiqs will counter my argument. They are more dangerous than some racist hindus... Oh log kamine hindus ka talbe chaat ne me lage rahte hain... afsoski baat....

More than anything, the title of movie shows how people connect India and China internationally. I am sure next movie would be;

" Kuddi Sanghai di aur munda Ludhiyane da"

I am sure it will be a smash hit.

RK

:rofl:

I'd watch it for sure! Preferably with a Kuddi Shanghai di :yahoo:

btw chandini chowk to.....sucked big time!
singh is king was way better...

Chandni Chowk to China is another humiliating attempt by some kamine hindus of india... See how racist the title song is... it begins, Chandni Chowk to China, dekha hain kabhi kya aina..!!! It means, I am telling this to all Chinese members of this forum, kamine hindus want to know whether all Chinese have seen their faces in mirrors...!! Some bujhdil kamine napak hindus have made a mockery of the physical features of Chinese people, they laugh at the shape of nose, eyes and height...

The instinctive character of a snake is to bite, if any one tries to make a friendship with a snake, he will get the poison.... and such persons are the most stupid persons on earth. Some indian hindus are genetically racist fascist zionist cruel brutal and they should be eliminated at any cost, any how InshAllah....

Not only that some kautilyan chankyan hindus use their napak chankyian sinister intention to diplomatically invade the rational humanistic ideologies of the neighboring countries. Such kamine hindus are now trying to expand the illegitimate indian empire by means of ideological warfare and indian media and bollywood are the instruments to defeat the good ideologies because for example Pakistan was built on ideology, and kamine hindus know if they can destroy the ideology the basis of Pakistan nation state, Pakistan will fall....

Chandnichowk to China is an effort to project that China was once a part of akhanda bharata.. the film will try to convince the global audience that it was akhanda bharata of some kamine hindus which gave birth to China, Chinese civilization in the same way as now some kamine hindus say akhanda bharata was the cradle of all civilization....

Saap ka fitrat hain dasna, saap se dosti nehi ki jate, uska sar kuchla jata hain...

Of course some Mir Jafars and Mir Sadiqs will counter my argument. They are more dangerous than some racist hindus... Oh log kamine hindus ka talbe chaat ne me lage rahte hain... afsoski baat....

Real words of wisdom my friend. I really do admire your rich adjectives exlusively reserved for us. ... Shukirya...shukriya...

RK