What's new

Chandrayaan 2 "Packs More Power Than NASA's Apollo Missions": Minister

Do you realize you answered your own question?

Here:

Not having a space program didn't help you fight poverty and many other countries around the world - faster or otherwise. So why villainize a flourishing space program when you know from your own experience that spending on space program is not the reason for poverty?

Besides, fighting poverty doesn't mean throwing all the money that you have at it, at the cost of everything else. Poverty alleviation requires multi-pronged approaches - infrastructure building, population control, investing in education-healthcare-science-technology, women-empowerment and building an efficient public distribution system. All of which, India is already doing and in plenty.

Even today, while Indian space program has meagre annual budgets (couple of billions), it spends obscenely disproportionate amounts to fight poverty & subsidies, but India's problem is not the lack of resources but competent, efficient and corruption-free institutions.

@Topic I think we can do without comparisons to Apollo missions. Not only is C-2 late by 50 years, ISRO still doesn't have capacity send man to space, let alone to the Moon.

It's still a waste of money, you don't have the tech to achieve anything major or groundbreaking, NASA and SpaceX will always be ahead you.

Let's call this what it is, useless chest thumping.

It's still a waste of money, you don't have the tech to achieve anything major or groundbreaking, NASA and SpaceX will always be ahead you.

Let's call this what it is, useless chest thumping.

You give the impression of somebody pretending to be asleep.

Up until the 90's, typhoons used to kill, quite literally, tens of thousands of people on India's east coast - every single year! Now with India's dozens of Remote Sensing Satellites monitoring our skies, the casualties has been almost-completely gotten rid of!

Let that sink in for a while before you come back with your chest-thumping rant!

Anyway like I said earlier, it didn't help you with anything NOT spending money on space either. And even if you want to talk strictly about revenue, Antrix, the commercial arm of ISRO is already earning some foreign exchange even though that is not the main aim of our space program.

So how is return on your investment doing?

You give the impression of somebody pretending to be asleep.

Up until the 90's, typhoons used to kill, quite literally, tens of thousands of people on India's east coast - every single year! Now with India's dozens of Remote Sensing Satellites monitoring our skies, the casualties has been almost-completely gotten rid of!

Let that sink in for a while before you come back with your chest-thumping rant!

Anyway like I said earlier, it didn't help you with anything NOT spending money on space either. And even if you want to talk strictly about revenue, Antrix, the commercial arm of ISRO is already earning some foreign exchange even though that is not the main aim of our space program.

So how is return on your investment doing?

Satellites are not the same as sending scraps of metal to Mars or the Moon. My problem isn't with anything that's based around the Earth (well, I haven't got any major problem there anyway), my issue is with these projects of sending crap to Mars or the Moon.

Satellites are not the same as sending scraps of metal to Mars or the Moon. My problem isn't with anything that's based around the Earth (well, I haven't got any major problem there anyway), my issue is with these projects of sending crap to Mars or the Moon.

After all, what is the point in sending man to space - let alone to the Moon or to the Mars? Robots can do everything that humans do - faster, longer and in a better way and far more cheaply than it takes humans.

Because it enhanced our understanding of the conditions there and our own abilities to send scraps of metal or man there. It will inevitably lead to better rockets, better navigation techniques, better metallurgy & better processes.

Same thing with India's Mars mission. Not every mission has to be a Eureka Mission - sometimes, validating your own capabilities/systems/processes is a good enough cause for a mission. I can bet you that the global profile of ISRO grew exponentially after the success of it's Mars mission.

By the way, what did you do with tons of your money that you saved by NOT sending any "scraps of metals" to Mars or to the Moon?

After all, what is the point in sending man to space - let alone to the Moon or to the Mars? Robots can do everything that humans do - faster, longer and in a better way and far more cheaply than it takes humans.

Because it enhanced our understanding of the conditions there and our own abilities to send scraps of metal or man there. It will inevitably lead to better rockets, better navigation techniques, better metallurgy & better processes.

Same thing with India's Mars mission. Not every mission has to be a Eureka Mission - sometimes, validating your own capabilities/systems/processes is a good enough cause for a mission. I can bet you that the global profile of ISRO grew exponentially after the success of it's Mars mission.

By the way, what did you do with tons of your money that you saved by NOT sending any "scraps of metals" to Mars or to the Moon?

So in another word. Indian space mission is only for bragging.

Pretty much, it's what we've always known.

Very sad considering the state of their country (mine ain't doing the best either but I don't act like it does, unlike these guys).

And oh, please! That is rich coming from a guy whose country only recently sent a rover to Moon. I don't think you can claim that China has ACHIEVED it all and hence justified splurging on Moon rover.

And that's not bragging (including China's Moon rover mission). Think of it as a kind of a entry test to get invited for future space related studies & explorations. Like I said, Mars mission helped Antrix, a commercial arm of ISRO, bag a multitude of customers.

You may also know that NASA signed a joint satellite project NISAR with ISRO almost immediately after the success of Mars orbiter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NISAR_(satellite)

But I know I am only trying to wake up a guy pretending to be asleep. So continue with your slumber!

you kidding right, NASA DSN is what kept Indian satellite from getting lost, DSN was absolutely critical in sending any satellites to another planet, including American satellites. The so called "Indian" Mars mission was someone else's technological achievement, not yours, deal with it.

No corrections were made during the satellite's transit. It was all automated.

Chinese performance beyond earth orbits have been very poor considering their money and tech claims.
With Chandrayaan2 success, India will take a clear podium position in deeper space.

Deep-space journey
As of 2016, Chang'e 2 has reached a distance of over 200 million km from Earth; potentially, it has enough fuel remaining to continue functioning up to a distance of 300 million km, according to the China Aerospace Corporation. The probe is being used to further verify China's deep-space tracking and control capabilities, Chang'e 2 will continue to fly, returning somewhere closer to the earth around 2029.

It's rather silly that a country ridden with poverty like Hindustan would do these things, when it should be trying to fix it's country's problems.

I can understand spending a high amount on military, that's needed for defence purposes, but this is just silly. I highly doubt Hindustan will discover something SpaceX or NASA can't do themselves anyway.

In my opinion, we should have a global space programme rather than individual nationalised ones. It would be more efficient.

just mind own business, first worry about FATF blacklisting your bank sector this june 2018..

Well India are going to the South Pole on the moon for the first time it has never been done/tried before.

Last edited:
The thing I liked most is that it will be launched by Isro using gslv mk2 . It weighs 3 ton. ISRO has silently increased the payload of rocket to 3 ton from 2 ton filled by 2.25 tons.

ISRO has a plant to double the payload of all its vehicles .

It's rather silly that a country ridden with poverty like Hindustan would do these things, when it should be trying to fix it's country's problems.
Well the same space program has saved countless Indian lives over quite a few years. I think it is money well spent. BTW, Indian space program is also generating quite a bit of revenue for itself.

Also, I am not aware if China had eliminated poverty before starting its space program. Heck they have not eliminated poverty even now or brought it down to the level of say Japan or Western Europe and yet they are making quite a few strides in space research.

Lastly, since Pakistan didn't have any space program like India, why is her IMR so much worse compared to India or Bangladesh? Or why is its GDP per capita is below India and Bangladesh? Or why the heck their economy is growing slower as compared to India or Bangladesh for last 25 years? Or why the heck their education or even literacy is behind India or Bangladesh? Or why the heck still a quarter of Pakistan's population defecates in open? Surely, by NOT having space program Pakistan should have solved quite a bit of the above problems by now!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom