What's new

Chengdu J-20 5th Generation Aircraft News & Discussions

This is the first time the PLA has sent the J-20 in joint drills with another country, and this, along with other exercise arrangements like sharing PLA main battle equipment with the Russian troops, displayed a high-level of cooperation and mutual trust between the Chinese and Russian militaries at a time when the two countries are facing challenges from the changing security situation in Central Asia following the US' troop withdrawal from Afghanistan and direct threats from the US and its allies, Chinese experts said.

Wow. A J-20 pilot does a roll for some chicks in some small town and everyone loses his mind but J-20 participates in the first international exercise for the type and no one even comments...

Sorry, I‘m in Italy right now and my family will kill my if I‘m sitting as long on the PC as at home … also, this is quite common: I‘m on vacation far away and the most interesting news will happen. As such I won‘t be surprised when within the next 10 days we‘ll see clear images of the J-35, KJ-600, new units and eventually even the H-20. :smitten:

1628590806018.png

@Deino

Recent hot news from Philippines on mystery aircraft entering its airspace with photo of bomber released. Some said it looks like H-20 stealth bomber but the trail of smoke is alot. Do you think it's Xian H-6? Philippines Air Force scrambled pair of FA-50 to intercept but failed.

Attachments

• Mystery-flying-wing-over-the-Philippines212.jpg
    Mystery-flying-wing-over-the-Philippines212.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 57
This looks like a TVC assisted maneuver out of a falling flat spin at low altitude.

Obviously not. However J-20 has a very high roll rate, much higher than most twin engine fighter jets, even likely higher than that of single engine F-16 or J-10. By having than kind of roll rate, J-20 can change direction and point the nose to target very quickly when manoeurvering. What you have seen in the video is actually a roll and the following change of flying direction.

Pay attention to the rolls, not the turns. BTW it seems like the pilots are now allowed to turn the afterburners up a little bit so the turns are looking sharper than in previous airshows. Globally J-20 is now the only one of two stealth fighters which can really dogfight.

Totally incredible roll rate at slow speed.

Usual roll rate decrease with lower airspeed passing control surface and decrease by quite a lot. These roll rate speeds for these near stalling speeds is at least double most fighters.

No Su-27 type or F-16 or F-15 can even get half this roll rate at the same speed. Whenever you pay attention to their videos of airshow performance, they need to pick up huge speed to perform turns and rolling just about as fast as the J-20 does at stalling speeds.

I believe the J-20 is actually quite good at low speed maneuvering. Maybe not overall as good as modern Su-35 or thrust vectoring flanker fighters because they are the best at this routine but the J-20's is still very good. J-20's real maneuverability performance is in supersonic speed. Pilots say its performance is about even with 4th generation flankers but in supersonic flight it is so much better than flankers. Eurofighter and F-22 are also extremely good in supersonic speeds. This is the domain that matter more than low speed maneuvering but low speed maneuvering shows flight control capability and how much lift the aircraft has and how well it manages angle of attack. Thrust vectoring can help a lot as well.

They cannot show J-20 performance in supersonic speeds to the public especially in a city but in training, J-20 absolutely dominates over 4th generation fighters in PLAAF and probably also in dogfighting.

I think flying them around so often really is saying there are more J-20s in service already than official estimates assume. Probably 2 or 3 times as many. Right now it is assumed between 30 or 40 in service but really there is at least 80 a few months ago.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom