What's new

Chengdu J-20 5th Generation Aircraft News & Discussions

Never underestimate the requirement of having gun on fighter. If there's a B-2 about to enter cruise missile effective range and your J-20 ran out of PL-10 while PL-15 can't track, you can still destroy the B-2 using gun. Also if J-20 is up against F-22 and missiles don't work due to stealth, the gun is all you can count on. J-20 & F-22 never met in combat, both won't know if their missiles would be able to hit each other.
You are forgetting EOTS and IR-guided missiles with SALCOS.

View attachment 780637

Stats are unveiled. It is 21.2 meters long and Mach 2.0 capable.
Long long time ago i said it is near 21,3 meters check MiG-29 post in sino defence nobody believe and so was Su-35 purchase and so was J-10 only can do cobra with thrust vectoring and Su-57-5 was going to be rebuilt, of course while some hate aerodynamics, aerodynamics tell things things people do not see.

Great Victory MiG-29

he size of the J-20 seems to be around 21 meters something between 20.5 and 21.5, all these pixels are difficult to see where a fighter starts and ends and most western or Russian estimates gave a 21-23 meters length.

Which is pretty accurate considering here many were saying it was 19.5 meters

Close up of the J-20A's WS-10C. (via @四川地产界高层-军事画家 from Weibo)

1633101095093.png

Wow, I did have even time to re-post it here too!

Long long time ago i said it is near 21,3 meters check MiG-29 post in sino defence nobody believe and so was Su-35 purchase and so was J-10 only can do cobra with thrust vectoring and Su-57-5 was going to be rebuilt, of course while some hate aerodynamics, aerodynamics tell things things people do not see.

Great Victory MiG-29

he size of the J-20 seems to be around 21 meters something between 20.5 and 21.5, all these pixels are difficult to see where a fighter starts and ends and most western or Russian estimates gave a 21-23 meters length.

Which is pretty accurate considering here many were saying it was 19.5 meters

I'm the only 1 believed your details. Now they know and owe you big apology.

The J-20 length is obviously at around 70ft with its height at 16ft yet it looks so long clearly tells that it has length close to Su-27, RA-5C & F-111 category.

Unlike YF-23 that is only 12ft in height it looks long and already at 67ft. So J-20 at 16ft to look that long would be 70ft at least.

The J-10 small wing surface area definitely can't perform cobra without TVC. Its wings are even smaller than Rafale & EF-2000.

You are forgetting EOTS and IR-guided missiles with SALCOS.

Those probably works but the question here is, if the J-20 ran out of PL-10, there's no guarantee that the PL-15 could track and home in on the B-2 within visual range. If the PL-15 can't acquire lock and the B-2 is getting into its cruise missiles effective range, is the J-20 going to ram the B-2 in kamikaze because it doesn't have gun?

I'm the only 1 believed your details. Now they know and owe you big apology.

The J-20 length is obviously at around 70ft with its height at 16ft yet it looks so long clearly tells that it has length close to Su-27, RA-5C & F-111 category.

Unlike YF-23 that is only 12ft in height it looks long and already at 67ft. So J-20 at 16ft to look that long would be 70ft at least.

The J-10 small wing surface area definitely can't perform cobra without TVC. Its wings are even smaller than Rafale & EF-2000.
To be honest this picture convinced me it was its length

1633238339751.png

see some one long time ago, and it was not me, some person calculated the size, the canopies are almost equal sized, so the calculation this person made was correct.

About J-10 it is simple to do cobra you need pitch down the nose to recover, canards stall before the wings and are ahead the wing and center of lift of the main wing.

but well If I am honest nobody needs to apollogize to me, it only makes me happy when I was right.

To be honest this picture convinced me it was its length

View attachment 781768

see some one long time ago, and it was not me, some person calculated the size, the canopies are almost equal sized, so the calculation this person made was correct.

About J-10 it is simple to do cobra you need pitch down the nose to recover, canards stall before the wings and are ahead the wing and center of lift of the main wing.

but well If I am honest nobody needs to apollogize to me, it only makes me happy when I was right.

In fact numbers of analyst took the side photos under same scale to evaluate the length of J-20. Since most of the frontal design on early J-20 prototype took similar or almost exact cues from F-22, they could just determine the frontal fuselage from nose radome to fore air intake at almost the same length as F-22 while the extra back are ones that they need to calculate. This is why analyst been saying that the J-20 is more of long range interceptor bomber rather than fighter for present day fighters maneuverability standard. Unless PLAAF intends to come up with enlarged FC-31 to F-22's 62ft size, that would be formidable nimble fighter, not going to happen anyway, rather save that for navalized stealth fighter programme.

Frankly speaking, those who condemned your comments to the max back then should really apologize.
One J-20 take out one B-2... Quite worth it!

If China is being outnumbered in that future war, losing a J-20 just to kill a B-2 is not really ideal. US would have far more stealth bombers and fighters if war broke out before 2025.

In fact numbers of analyst took the side photos under same scale to evaluate the length of J-20. Since most of the frontal design on early J-20 prototype took similar or almost exact cues from F-22, they could just determine the frontal fuselage from nose radome to fore air intake at almost the same length as F-22 while the extra back are ones that they need to calculate. This is why analyst been saying that the J-20 is more of long range interceptor bomber rather than fighter for present day fighters maneuverability standard. Unless PLAAF intends to come up with enlarged FC-31 to F-22's 62ft size, that would be formidable nimble fighter, not going to happen anyway, rather save that for navalized stealth fighter programme.

Frankly speaking, those who condemned your comments to the max back then should really apologize.

If China is being outnumbered in that future war, losing a J-20 just to kill a B-2 is not really ideal. US would have far more stealth bombers and fighters if war broke out before 2025.
it is around 21 meters, it could be 20.9 or 21.1, in the picture you posted the Su-27 is slightly ahead of where the J-20`s tail end, the Flanker is around 21.9 almost 22 meters, of course since the details are so blur people will see what ever they want, the F-22 and J-20 picture i posted before has a realistic scale since they use the canopies as measurement and they give a measure of 21.1 meters.

But i bet when the official dimensions are disclosed the J-20 length will be in the 21meters length range
https://www.sinodefenceforum.com/t/j-20-5th-gen-fighter-thread-iv-closed-to-posting.6233/page-25

It took me 9 years to see it

In reality an apology should be voluntary and felt, so I do not need them, it only makes me happy to see the 21 meters length was correct, and the guy that made that picture was very smart.

at that time did not understand many things. Now I know more things and among one is stealth requierements demand larger aircraft due to internal weapons bays and the need for more internal fuel.

For a 1960s A-5 was an attack aircraft, same F-111, so wen J-20 appeared many people thought it was huge, well Su-35 is big and agile, but it is mostly for Thrust vectoring, the reality really agile aircraft are small like Rafale or Eurofighter.

J-20 is multirole, with TVC nozzles it will be able to make tighter turns and with high thrust keeo sustained tight turns but in reality is highly dependant upon avionics and weapons.

You will never see J-20 without TVC nozzles doing great maneuvres, but it does not need them advanced weapons and avionics allow it to fight.

Anyway regards Saludos

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom