What's new

Chengdu J-20 5th Generation Aircraft News & Discussions

This OHIS way (Ostrich head in sand) to fire missile is the first and only one found on a jet.

It not only breaks the stealth, burns the stealth coating (lost the stealth after launch even door closed), but also damages the aerodynamic which means it may not be possible to fire the side bay missile at supersonic speed.

Worst is,the door must keep opening when fighting engaged.

The Method is not unique. Most fighters have used such a system even before stealth. There is little issue with aerodynamics as missile firings have been done at all regimes of flight including supersonic. The only issue I see with the door is complexity.
The J-20's method also has the door opening so the stealth is broken then as well. Additionally, the time the missile hangs outside the aircraft(for both the J-20 and F-22) the stealth is compromised. However, with the current pictures seen there seems to be either a delay in testing the caged mode or otherwise.

For the J-20 to complete IR missile testing it will have to:

1. Launch missile at target using missile sensor only..which means missile hangs outside and RCS is compromised...both at subsonic and supersonic speed.

2. Launch missile at target using target lock from J-20 radar which is told to sensor of IR missile while it is inside J-20's bay. The missile then comes out of bay launches and the bay closes to save stealth.

The Method is not unique. Most fighters have used such a system even before stealth. There is little issue with aerodynamics as missile firings have been done at all regimes of flight including supersonic. The only issue I see with the door is complexity.
In my memories, F-22 side bay launching is the only one.
I meant the missile protrude its head out of a internal bay.
pros.: simple mechanism
cons: 1) air drag heavily
2) RCS increased alot all around and door has to keep opening all the way
3) Burning the aircraft body for the fire internally
f22_aim9.jpg

F-22 is burning hardly.

The J-20's method also has the door opening so the stealth is broken then as well. Additionally, the time the missile hangs outside the aircraft(for both the J-20 and F-22) the stealth is compromised. However, with the current pictures seen there seems to be either a delay in testing the caged mode or otherwise.

For the J-20 to complete IR missile testing it will have to:

1. Launch missile at target using missile sensor only..which means missile hangs outside and RCS is compromised...both at subsonic and supersonic speed.

2. Launch missile at target using target lock from J-20 radar which is told to sensor of IR missile while it is inside J-20's bay. The missile then comes out of bay launches and the bay closes to save stealth.

Most 4th gen jet are capable to launch A2A at supersonic speed.
I'm not sure F-22's side-bay. It like a parachute on body after the missile head out.
It's funny that F-22 has to slow down to fire when it chasing at hyper-cruising.

The A2A working process of J-20 is same as F-22 except without 3 cons mentioned above.

In my memories, F-22 side bay launching is the only one.
I meant the missile protrude its head out of a internal bay.
pros.: simple mechanism
cons: 1) air drag heavily
2) RCS increased alot all around and door has to keep opening all the way
3) Burning the aircraft body for the fire internally
f22_aim9.jpg

F-22 is burning hardly.

The A2A working process is same as F-22 except without 3 cons mentioned above.

1)Air drag may not be an issue in caged mode, as it is only for a small time.

2) same issue plagues J-20, F-35 and T-50

3) That may have had led to increase in weight. This may be a tradeoff for ensuring that missile leaves the flightpath of the aircraft
Again, one has to remember: F-22.. designed in 1980's and 1990s and a VERY expensive program..the first of its kind.... The J-20 is a recent design by comparison and some knowledge available to avoid mistakes made in other programs.

Plus look at the engine nozzle in that pic it is pointing downwards ,does it having tvc or what

CHEERS

Last edited:
I think we all know now that the J-20 has two different types of bulges or wheel wells at the bottom of the LERX.

What are your intelligent guesses for this asymmetrical design?

Aerodynamics test? Stealth test? Combining the wheel wells with sensors, jammers, communication devices, or other devices?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom