What's new

China and the Philippines: Asia's Most Toxic Relationship

I'm still waiting for you to explain how the US will 'defeat' China if it's too afraid to use its military?

You said America 'beat' the Soviet Union without firing a shot. Then you say that the same will happen to China without a war.

So how exactly will the US beat China without a war? We both know the US military option can NEVER be used against China because of MAD.

China is constructing in the SCS to fully militarise the SCS but the US is afraid to destroy the constructions. China called America's bluff and America got its pants pulled down. China continues to surpass the US in economic measures with each passing year. It's the US that's afraid of a rising China.

Now, tell me how exactly will the US 'defeat' China? Give me a detailed explanation.

Go.

Americans did NOT need to use direct military option to defeat the Soviets, nor do they need one to defeat China. For the Chinese, now its all about territory and control over that territory. In terms of IDEOLOGY, the Chinese already lost along with the Soviets when Communism lost out to Capitalism. The result? Today Chinese economy is run on Capitalist ideals, not Communist ones. One hopes that the Chinese would abandon Communism when it comes to politics as well and allow the people of China to choose their leaders by exercising their right to VOTE and ELECT their leaders who would then be TRULY REPRESENTATIVE of the wishes of their electorate and join the FREE WORLD in the 21st century of citizen rights.

Americans did NOT need to use direct military option to defeat the Soviets, nor do they need one to defeat China. For the Chinese, now its all about territory and control over that territory. In terms of IDEOLOGY, the Chinese already lost along with the Soviets when Communism lost out to Capitalism. The result? Today Chinese economy is run on Capitalist ideals, not Communist ones. One hopes that the Chinese would abandon Communism when it comes to politics as well and allow the people of China to choose their leaders by exercising their right to VOTE and ELECT their leaders who would then be TRULY REPRESENTATIVE of the wishes of their electorate and join the FREE WORLD in the 21st century of citizen rights.
what you said is never an ideology issue, it is purely a geopolitics issue. However, US need a excuse to keep standoff with China, but the direct military confrontations will never appear. If need war, the proxy wars will the most possible form to happen.

Last edited:
not very much but can not be worse than now.

Ideological and diplomatic differences. This will give both the Philippines and China opportunity to flex their diplomatic capabilities. Think of this as a win win situation. There's always an opportunity in any situation.

Regards.

Astute points !

Partly incorrect.
Their gov is one party state which control the whole nation. If people want to change their country, they have the change themselves (mentality) and join the party (if they want).
I don't see why they should adopt democratic syatem. As you might know, there are so many Democratic shxt holes in the world. So now, China try to find their own path, so why not.
Bottom line is, if people want to change, they have to start from themselves, freedom is not coming to you freely... (but i guess it can introduce by either B52 or NGOs)

Today Chinese economy is run on Capitalist ideals, not Communist ones. One hopes that the Chinese would abandon Communism when it comes to politics as well and allow the people of China to choose their leaders by exercising their right to VOTE and ELECT their leaders who would then be TRULY REPRESENTATIVE of the wishes of their electorate and join the FREE WORLD in the 21st century of citizen rights.

not very much but can not be worse than now.

i doubt that you people have hurt our marine food supplies particularly our fishing industries in the west philippine sea your reclamations also contributed to the population crisis of marine life beside chinese fishermen over fishing even our areas

It will become better, the relation of countries shouldnt be dominated by irresponsible and short-sighted politicans.

Again china is the only irresponsible your reclamation efforts has hurt the trust of the whole region

i doubt that you people have hurt our marine food supplies particularly our fishing industries in the west philippine sea your reclamations also contributed to the population crisis of marine life beside chinese fishermen over fishing even our areas

Again china is the only irresponsible your reclamation efforts has hurt the trust of the whole region
avoid to be the tool of your short-sighted politicians, it is naive.

you forgot other countries including VN, PH and MY did it long time ago before China. Therefore you can't use the same reason. The only thing that concern others is everything China did is big (in scale) compare to other surrounding countries.

Regarding trust, US spied everyone including her allies. But 'everyone' still have to work with her.... well, she have the luxury, just like China.

you forgot other countries including VN, PH and MY did it long time ago before China. Therefore you can't use the same reason. The only thing that concern others is everything China did is big (in scale) compare to other surrounding countries.

Regarding trust, US spied everyone including her allies. But 'everyone' still have to work with her.... well, she have the luxury, just like China.

Wow i did not recall our force reclaiming reefs and shoals and turning them into islands and actually insisting they are natural islands even though everyone knows they originally reefs and shoals unlike chinese drones or blind allies defending china so they can have a free nut ride on china's nuts they willing to lie to themselves say yes this are islands

avoid to be the tool of your short-sighted politicians, it is naive.

Wow i have to admit his not the greatest President his no MLQ at all but he did great for the country's economy true still there still work to be done but he made country best performing economy in Asia that is something calling him that is not insult to him and why for protecting filipino interest? ya like claiming a whole sea is reasonable right? Maybe in imperialistic fantasy maybe if you people are looking for short sighted politicians you guys can look at the CCP they did a nice job making economy crap wow 2.3 trillion loses in trading floor in few months that's one hell of achievement 10x more than Greece could and not to mention your real estate crisis etc the list goes on.

China and the Philippines: Asia's Most Toxic Relationship

5 hours ago | Updated 10 minutes ago

Richard Javad Heydarian Academic, policy adviser, and author of "Asia's New Battlefield: US, China, and the Struggle for Western Pacific"

In the West, it is often said that Asians are a different bunch, that they conduct diplomacy in a more subtle fashion -- disguising their differences under the veil of cultural solidarity and burgeoning economic ties. I vividly recall the 'guidelines' forwarded to me by a prominent American think tank ahead of a major conference hosted in an Asian capital.

In a politely Orientalist fashion, the participants, particularly those from the West, were encouraged to be circumspect and courteous in expressing their views, to hold the business cards of their Asia counterparts with two hands (instead of one) to exhibit respect, and maintain utmost collegiality in their interactions with their Asian hosts (i.e., don't be too frank and open), even when the topic at hand was as contentious as, say, nuclear proliferation or maritime security.

As Francis Fukuyama explains in his critically-acclaimed book The Origins of Political Order across the Sino-sphere, which covers Asia's most dynamic economies, Confucianism -- a philosophical tradition that sidelined 'legalism' as the enduring state ideology of Imperial (and post-Mao) China -- always emphasized the importance of amicable and ethically-inspired resolution of disputes instead of, say, confrontational litigation or brute force.

In the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN), which has a significant Muslim population, the emphasis is on consensus-building and consultation, drawing on Islam's age-old tradition of deliberative/consultative governance, embodied by the concept of Shura.

In recent years, however, the veneer of Asian exceptionalism has been decisively shattered by a particularly bitter, acrimonious, and openly hostile relationship between China and Philippines over a whole host of disputed rocks, atolls, islands and fishers and hydrocarbon resources in the South China Sea. Slowly but surely, Asian territorial disputes have become as hostile as inter-state disputes among Western countries in the past and Middle Eastern nations in more recent times.

And it's becoming clear, as realist scholars like John Mearsheimer have been warning for years, that a rising China will probably not be substantially different in terms of its ambitions and behavior from other revisionist states in the past. An explosion of nationalist fervor among Asian claimant states hasn't helped either. A prosperous region is now sleepwalking into conflict.

China and the Philippines: Asia's Most Toxic Relationship | Richard Javad Heydarian

1. Middle East is in Asia. The toxicity level of China's conflict with Philippine is nothing comparing to the ones over there.

2. Calling Chinese government Confucianist is a rather gross ignorance of Chinese history. Throughout history, Chinese government always favored legalism as the backbone of the decision making process. Confucianism is instead used in the outward implementation phase while the decision itself is made in Legalism ideals.

3. Most importantly: China-Philippine conflict is an a region representation of the much greater China-US conflict in Pacific. The fact is, as soon as China-US conflict moves away from the region, China-Philippine conflict would go out like a candle. Basically, Philippine is a small symptom of the global power shift in 21st century. The root cause lay somewhere else and it is important to keep sight of it.

Wow i did not recall our force reclaiming reefs and shoals and turning them into islands and actually insisting they are natural islands even though everyone knows they originally reefs and shoals unlike chinese drones or blind allies defending china so they can have a free nut ride on china's nuts they willing to lie to themselves say yes this are islands

Wow i have to admit his not the greatest President his no MLQ at all but he did great for the country's economy true still there still work to be done but he made country best performing economy in Asia that is something calling him that is not insult to him and why for protecting filipino interest? ya like claiming a whole sea is reasonable right? Maybe in imperialistic fantasy maybe if you people are looking for short sighted politicians you guys can look at the CCP they did a nice job making economy crap wow 2.3 trillion loses in trading floor in few months that's one hell of achievement 10x more than Greece could and not to mention your real estate crisis etc the list goes on.
You overrate the loss of us, it is China not Greece or Philippine.

Last edited:
You overrate the loss of us, it is China not Greece of Philippine.

Ya that reply makes perfect sense (not)

1. Middle East is in Asia. The toxicity level of China's conflict with Philippine is nothing comparing to the ones over there.

2. Calling Chinese government Confucianist is a rather gross ignorance of Chinese history. Throughout history, Chinese government always favored legalism as the backbone of the decision making process. Confucianism is instead used in the outward implementation phase while the decision itself is made in Legalism ideals.

3. Most importantly: China-Philippine conflict is an a region representation of the much greater China-US conflict in Pacific. The fact is, as soon as China-US conflict moves away from the region, China-Philippine conflict would go out like a candle. Basically, Philippine is a small symptom of the global power shift in 21st century. The root cause lay somewhere else and it is important to keep sight of it.

Ya taking over our EZZ and territorial waters was nothing to do with like at all man this chinese 50cent trolls creak me up with their nonsense

check your gov's doc, you will find out who is the bad guy.

Not saying us (the poorer nations) are innocent, BUT the main reason we don't do it is because we don't have the resources (money, geo-political power, military) to support it especially in large scale.

Correct, bro. Times to allow the people of China to choose their leaders by exercising their right to VOTE and ELECT :cheers:

Tianjin explosion happened show how corrupted CN Govt. is .

check your gov's doc, you will find out who is the bad guy.

Oh please spare me the illogical nonsnese if you have noting to counter.

Not saying us (the poorer nations) are innocent, BUT the main reason we don't do it is because we don't have the resources (money, geo-political power, military) to support it especially in large scale.

Ya right

Back
Top Bottom