What's new

China boasts breakthrough in nuclear technology

ok fellow forum members. ... tell me one thing

^^^^^^^
is he really chinese ... or just another frustrated pakistani... :)

He is very much a Chinese. And I would advise you to edit your post and remove the insult you have attempted to direct towards Pakistanis.

Please consider this my last warning.

ok fellow forum members. ... tell me one thing

^^^^^^^
is he really chinese ... or just another frustrated pakistani... :)

coz as far as i know chinese ... my personal exp ... they are cunning, they are intelligent ... but they never SIHT from thr mouth ...

CartmanCrapMouth2.gif

It's already years after schedule.

The whole project was delayed by indifference to basic research from China Nuclear Group under previous corporate leadership (the previous Chairman was basically a French spy) and of course from the army of stupid scientifically illiterate environmentalists China nowadays has ample of - the building of the test facility was delayed for almost two years because of resistance from local environmentalists.

Chinese need to face up to the fact Indians have already overtaken us in civilian nuclear technologies. Why? Because they were embargoed. The reason China is still ahead in military technologies is because of Western arms embargo. So next time you see someone saying lifting of EU arms embargo could somehow benefit China, remind them of what damage so-called foreign cooperation has done to China's civilian nuclear industry.

agreed on all points. foreign cooperation in so many aspects has limited our own development. in advanced materials, we got too used to cheap imports of high strength composites from Japan, while our ceramics industry which was embargoed due to ballistic missiles applications is very close to the cutting edge. lucky that the previous chairman got shot.

some environmentalist have the right idea though: genetically engineered foods are bad. nuclear processing isn't bad, it is better for the environment than just dumping.

In the field of civilian nuclear technologies, China lags behind many nowadays, I am not sure if India has overtaken China, but I am pretty sure even country like South Korea has surpassed China in this regard.

It is kind of frustrating to see China to purchase civilian nuclear technologies at the cost of billions from France.

In the field of civilian nuclear technologies, China lags behind many nowadays, I am not sure if India has overtaken China, but I am pretty sure even country like South Korea has surpassed China in this regard.

It is kind of frustrating to see China to purchase civilian nuclear technologies at the cost of billions from France.

The claim that South Korea possesses many advanced technologies is a myth. Most of South Korea's technologies were licensed from the United States and Japan.

It is only recently that Samsung has generated South Korea's increasing number of patents granted by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office in the narrow fields of semiconductors and consumer electronics. South Korea is still far behind Taiwan for indigenous innovation by roughly 20,000 cumulative U.S. patents.

The South Koreans have paid the Russians a lot of money for ample assistance/transfer in rocket technology. Yet, despite two attempts, the South Koreans still can't launch a rocket. China successfully launched her first rocket in 1971. That was 40 years ago. South Korea still cannot match 1971 Chinese rocket technology.

It is ludicrous for people to claim that South Korea is ahead of China when they are using borrowed/licensed U.S. technology. The same thing applies to Israel. How ridiculous is the claim that a country with only six million people and an economy smaller than Hong Kong's has more advanced military technology than China? Whatever niche advanced military technology that Israel possesses, it is merely borrowed/licensed U.S. technology.

Last edited by a moderator:
The claim that South Korea possesses many advanced technologies is a myth. Most of South Korea's technologies were licensed from the United States and Japan.

It is only recently that Samsung has generated South Korea's increasing number of patents granted by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office in the narrow fields of semiconductors and consumer electronics. South Korea is still far behind Taiwan for indigenous innovation by roughly 20,000 cumulative U.S. patents.

The South Koreans have paid the Russians a lot of money for ample assistance/transfer in rocket technology. Yet, despite two attempts, the South Koreans still can't launch a rocket.

It is ludicrous for people to claim that South Korea is ahead of China when they are using borrowed/licensed U.S. technology. The same thing applies to Israel. How ridiculous is the claim that a country with only six million people and an economy smaller than Hong Kong has more advanced military technology than China? Whatever advanced military technology that Israel possesses, it is merely borrowed/licensed U.S. technology.

YouTube - Video of South Korean rocket's last moments before crash

I am talking about civilian nuclear technology, in which China lags behind South Korea according to Chinese media.

Hope you can understand Chinese language.
º«¹úºË¼¼Êõ·¢Õ¹ËÙ¶ÈÁîÊÀ½ç¾ªÑÈ ¾ÓÊÀ½çµÚÁù--Öйú¹ã²¥Íø ÖÐÑëÈËÃñ¹ã²¥µç̨Ö÷°ì È«Çò×î´óÖÐÎÄÒôƵÍøÂçÃÅ»§

And why is it so important how South Korea acquires those technologies? Belittling their accomplishment by accusing them of copying from others won't help us. It really doesn't matter how they gain their ability, what matters here is South Korea is ahead of China in the fields such as semiconductors, automobiles, cilvilian nuclear technology, etc.

Last edited:
I am talking about civilian nuclear technology, in which China lags behind South Korea according to Chinese media.

Hope you can understand Chinese language.
º«¹úºË¼¼Êõ·¢Õ¹ËÙ¶ÈÁîÊÀ½ç¾ªÑÈ ¾ÓÊÀ½çµÚÁù--Öйú¹ã²¥Íø ÖÐÑëÈËÃñ¹ã²¥µç̨Ö÷°ì È«Çò×î´óÖÐÎÄÒôƵÍøÂçÃÅ»§

And why is it so important how South Korea acuires those technologies? Belittling their accomplishment by accusing them of copying from others won't help us. It really doesn't matter how they gain their ability, what matters here is South Korea is ahead of China in the fields such as semiconductors, automobiles, cilvilian nuclear technology, etc.

South Korea's nuclear technologies are derived from American technologies. Why is that so hard to understand? Advanced technology does not come out of thin air. Where are the prototypes and earlier models of South Korean nuclear technologies? They skipped all those stages by borrowing/transfer of U.S. nuclear technologies.

Same story in automobiles. The South Korean engine technology was licensed from Mitsubishi. Before you start making broad and unsubstantiated claims, I suggest that you conduct some research before spreading the propaganda.

Same story in semiconductors. Taiwan's semiconductor industry started in 1964 with the license of the first transistor from General Instrument. South Korea's semiconductor industry started by licensing U.S. technology as well.

South Korea cannot claim ownership of its nuclear technologies. They are licensed American technologies. This means that the U.S. can veto any South Korean use of those nuclear technologies in countries that the U.S. doesn't like.

Last edited:
don't talk about automobiles. hyundai is a death trap. consumer cars aren't high tech. in terms of engineering vehicles, korean products aren't that good. the concrete pourer for the World Financial Center in Shanghai was made by Sany Heavy Industries from Changsha; it poured cement 450 m high. in terms of semiconductor, i'm not sure that Samsung is better than SMIC at all.

Chinese people are pretty tough, unlike embargoed others, when it comes to hardship, Chinese people prefer shut up and work their way out instead of blaming others.

How come the thread title for thread 50-52 were changed to

"Myth of South Korean advanced technologies"

Can the title be that easily hijacked.

The South Koreans have paid the Russians a lot of money for ample assistance/transfer in rocket technology. Yet, despite two attempts, the South Koreans still can't launch a rocket. China successfully launched her first rocket in 1971. That was 40 years ago. South Korea still cannot match 1971 Chinese rocket technology.

It is ludicrous for people to claim that South Korea is ahead of China when they are using borrowed/licensed U.S. technology. The same thing applies to Israel. How ridiculous is the claim that a country with only six million people and an economy smaller than Hong Kong's has more advanced military technology than China? Whatever niche advanced military technology that Israel possesses, it is merely borrowed/licensed U.S. technology.

YouTube - KSLV-1 "Naro-1" Second Test Flight EXPLODED after lift off (HD)

Very few people seem to understand that except USA, no country can beat China in term of the systems engineering. Not even Russia or Japan.

Systems engineering - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have not belittled South Korea or Israel. I have only spoken the truth. Taiwan has over 20,000 more U.S. patents granted by the USPTO than South Korea. However, you never hear me claim that Taiwan is on a par with (or more advanced) than mainland China in most scientific fields. It is simply not true.

Taiwan is strong in semiconductors, consumer electronics, machine tools, and the emerging field of biotechnology. For the really important technologies (see list below), Taiwan cannot be compared to mainland China at all.

U.S. is a technological superpower. China can lay claim to being a growing peer to the U.S. in technological prowess. I don't think any other country qualifies. Sorry if I dented some people's pride.

In a contest for technological supremacy, these are some of the key benchmarks:

1. Send taikonaut into space and conduct spacewalk. (Ultimate test of aerospace technology.)

2. Build indigenous Aegis-class destroyer with advanced phased array radars.

3. Build fifth-generation stealth fighters.

4. Build world's-fastest bullet trains that travel an average of 380 kph.

5. Build world's-fastest supercomputer.

6. Launch a record 15 rocket/satellite launches in 2010 without a single failure.

7. Build nuclear submarines.

8. Building your own cryogenic rocket engine (see below).

I did not bring up the silly claim that South Korean advanced technologies are superior to China's. Based on the eight widely-acknowledged criteria above, South Korea scores a 0 out of 8. I'm sorry, but advanced South Korean technologies are a myth.

With regard to #2, South Korea has its phased array radar system installed by Lockheed Martin. With regard to #4, South Korea licensed French TGV technology. With regard to #6, South Korea paid hundreds of millions of dollars for the transfer of Russian rocketry technology and expertise (see articles below).

The truth hurts, but it is a foolish idea to bring any country, except for the United States, into a technological superpower comparison with China. They are not called the unofficial G-2 for nothing.

----------

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_6712/is_49_218/ai_n29014867/
"Jun 9, 2003 ... South Korea selected Lockheed Martin in July 2002 to supply its Aegis system for the KDX-III destroyers over France's Thales, ..."

http://www.boston.com/business/articles/2010/09/12/schwarzenegger_tries_out_chinas_high_speed_rail/
"Sep 12, 2010 ... "China now owns the most advanced high-speed rail technology and winning contracts in the ... South Korea's KTX high speed rail, which is based on France's TGV technology, shares the same ... But its bullet trains, despite their impeccable record for safety and efficiency, run on dedicated tracks. ..."

[Unlike China, South Korea never made significant innovations and filed 940 patents to increase the speed of its bullet trains by 200 additional kph.]

http://english.ntdtv.com/ntdtv_en/ns_asia/2010-06-11/854343916031.html
"Jun 11, 2010 ... The two stage rocket was built with the help of Russia at a cost of around 450 million US dollars. South Korea wants to build a rocket on its own by 2018 and send a probe to monitor the moon by 2025.

----------

To place the development of cryogenic rocket engines in its proper historical context, I thought you might want to know that NASA developed the world's first cryo engine in 1961 and China flight-tested her first cryo engine in 1984 (i.e. 27 years ago).

Cryogenic rocket engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The first operational cryogenic rocket engine was the 1961 NASA design the RL-10 LOX LH2 rocket engine, which was used in the Saturn 1 rocket employed in the early stages of the Apollo moon landing program."

YF-73 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The YF-73 is China's first successful, cryogenic, gimballed engine, using liquid hydrogen (LH2) fuel and liquid oxygen (LOX) oxidizer. It was developed in the early 1980s and first flight was in 1984."

Last edited:
Even in semiconductors, there are 3 korean companies out of the top 17, there are 7 chinese companies in the top 17, 3 taiwan 4 mainland.

However, the 3 from Korea are TINY SHRIMP compared to the ones from China. SMIC is worth more than all 3 korean companies combined!

Foundry model - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

but TSMC is even more monstrous and is worth 9 SMIC! So what does that make koreans? On the smaller size, even our smallest weakest semiconductor companies beat the south koreans!

in 2008 the situation is even worse for koreans, as only Dongbu makes it into the top 18, and 10 chinese companies are in the top 18, completely dominating semiconductors.

With respect to mid-tech automobile technology, you have not convinced me that South Korea possesses superior car technology vis-a-vis China.

chinabydhybridf6bydchin.jpg

"The "DM" or "Dual Mode" F6DM and F3DM both have a 1.0L gasoline engine combined with a 50kW motor and a 20kW power generator. Their 19.8kWh batteries alone are capable of running 100km, the company says. The FD6M initial cost? 50,000 yuan ($7,150) more expensive than the base model, so in total around 150,000 yuan (about US$21,500). Half the price of the Prius in China now."

chinabydhybridbydf3dmmo.jpg

"Motor in BYD F3 DM
Left the 1 litre 50 kW gasoline engine, right the 50 kW electric engine. Above the engine controller."

chinabydhybridelectricc.jpg

"The Household Charge Port and Quick Charge Port are seen on a F3DM electric vehicle. BYD F3DM, China’s first mass-produced electric vehicle by BYD Auto, is a gasoline-electric hybrid plug-in vehicle, using a small gasoline combustion engine to charge the car’s battery. When fully charged, it can run as far as 100 to 110 kilometers by electricity. (Photo by China Photos/Getty Images)"

chinacarmodelorpresente.jpg

Car model/presenter at China automotive exhibition

China Business News: BYD to sell F3DM-model electric cars in Shanghai

"BYD to sell F3DM-model electric cars in Shanghai

Jul. 30, 2010 (China Knowledge) - China's largest rechargeable battery maker and a well-known automobile producer, is set to sell the F3DM hybrid vehicle to customers in Shanghai by the end of the month, the Shanghai Daily reported.

The F3DM, the world's first mass produced plug-in hybrid car model, is able to have a 60-kilometers drive on a single charge. The battery can be fully charged in seven hours at a household outlet, and semi-charged in 10 minutes at a professional one.

BYD may also raise the output target of F3DM this year in anticipation that the government's stimulus plan will boost sales, said an official within the company.

The Chinese government plans to invest RMB10 billion, to speed up the commercialization of new energy vehicles. It aims to have 500,000 green cars on the roads by 2012. Subsidies up to RMB60,000 will be granted for purchasing a new energy vehicle.

MidAmerican Energy Holdings Co, a subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway Inc that is controlled by Warren Buffett, holds a 10% stake in BYD."

Back
Top Bottom