What's new

China cannot do a 1962, border villagers say

EjazR

Reaction score
China cannot do a 1962, border villagers say

(Arunachal Pradesh), Sep 26 (IANS) Sewang Lama, a businessman, was 11 years old when India and China fought a border war in 1962, with Chinese troops advancing deep into Arunachal Pradesh and inflicting heavy casualties on Indian soldiers.

Today, 58-year-old Lama, a father of three, is confident China cannot do a repeat of 1962 in this rugged eastern frontier.

'The situation was different in 1962 with the Chinese catching our soldiers unawares. Today, I am pretty sure the Indian Army would be able to give China a befitting reply in case they have any ill intentions,' Lama told IANS sounding proud and confident.

Lama has faint memories of the 1962 Chinese aggression.

'I remember my father shifting our entire family to a far off village to escape the rampaging Chinese Army... We probably stayed there for close to three weeks.'

The mountainous state of Arunachal Pradesh shares a 1,030-km unfenced border with China

The Sino-Indian border along Arunachal Pradesh is separated by the McMahon Line, an imaginary border now known as the Line of Actual Control (LAC).

Like Lama, 63-year-old Tamding Sarwang too has bitter memories of the 1962 war.

'Whatever happened is history, now China cannot do a repeat of 1962. The people of Arunachal Pradesh are solidly behind the Indian Army and would shed blood to protect our territory,' said Sarwang, a yak farmer near the Sela Pass perched at an altitude of close to 14,000 feet.

The writing on the wall is loud and clear - Arunachal is part of India.

'I am India, India is me. I love my India,' reads a slogan painted on rocks close to the Chinese border.

But there is a grouse among the locals here - they want New Delhi to firm up its stand against China and develop the frontier region to remove any sense of alienation.

'India should strengthen its troops and equip them with the best of weapons and take a bold step to make India's position clear on Arunachal. We also want our border roads and other infrastructure to be developed,' Ruwal Norbu, a community elder, said.

Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister Dorjee Khandu echoes similar views.

'Chinese claims of Arunachal Pradesh is baseless. So India should once for all settle the border dispute and clarify all doubts,' the chief minister told IANS.

The border dispute with China was inherited by India from British colonial rulers, who hosted a 1914 conference with the Tibetan and Chinese governments that set the border in what is now Arunachal Pradesh.

China has never recognised the 1914 McMahon Line and claims 90,000 sq km, nearly all of Arunachal Pradesh. India accuses China of occupying 8,000 sq km of its territory in Kashmir.

After 1962, tensions flared again in 1986 with Indian and Chinese forces clashing in Sumdorong Chu valley of Arunachal. Chinese troops reportedly built a helipad in the valley leading to fresh skirmishes.

The latest hiccups along the border follow reports of Chinese incursions, which Beijing has denied.

Indian officials say there have been some incursions but this is routine since the border is not demarcated.

China won't wage war on India' - Guwahati - City - NEWS - The Times of India

ITANAGAR: Despite reports of frequent border incursions, Arunachal Pradesh chief minister Dorjee Khandu believes that China will never a wage a
war on India.

"China can't afford to go for a war. But the fact remains that its sole aim is to weaken India on all fronts. China wants to prove that it's an economic superpower in the region," said Khandu, who hails from Tawang, an area of contention between India and China.

China's policy was to force India to increase its defence expenditure at the cost of its economy, he added. "The idea is: The more the expenditure on defence, the less the money spent on development. In short they are bent on weakening India through this game of psychological warfare," Khandu told reporters here on Sunday morning.

He said India should take up the challenge on the economic front. "At the moment, we should give top priority to rapid economic and infrastructure development in border areas," he added.

Denying BJP's claims that the UPA government has shown a "slow response" to China's challenge, the chief minister of the frontier state said development on the Indian side of the border is still unmentionable."While China has developed two-lane roads right up to the McMahon Line, we do not even have porter tracks in most parts along the border. In the absence of motorable roads, troops movement may be hindered during an emergency," he said.

The chief minister said the Centre should induct more locals into the army to strengthen intelligence network in the border areas.

On the Dalai Lama's scheduled November visit to the state, he said, "China has no right to interfere or raise questions on his visit. "The spiritual leader can move freely, anywhere in India. China has no business or right to object. The Centre has given him permission to visit Tawang. The matter ends there," Khandu said.

relax,india.what the hell is wrong with your media recently,crying for war everyday,china and india will solve the border issue through smart way , china cann't do a 1962, because india have no guts to push the "forward policy" again

same goes for china too aim.

china have no guts to impose a war on itself - sepciafically a world war. of such magnitude.

china have reached this stage with lot of hard work .

one war will result - in taking it back to 1900 . poor and hungry.

we might die but wont let you live . either. with such a war.

----------- yeh Indian media is full of shyt - they are imposing a non existing war- with such bullshit they are biggest enemy of india right now--------------

Chinese are peaceful people - they are not uttering no bullshit till now - if it would have been anyother country - a few battle would have been already in in progress.

relax,india.what the hell is wrong with your media recently,crying for war everyday,china and india will solve the border issue through smart way , china cann't do a 1962, because india have no guts to push the "forward policy" again

Sir what do you mean by india and china will solve problem by smart way? Like what? Giving AP to china? Well thats a dream and will remain china's dream. i like when u said india have no guts. i think u by mistake wrote india. Let me correct u. China have no guts. Thats the reason they want talking and yes only Talking.

If you have guts then attack.....I think your government fears that If they attack India then not only India but also many democracy supporters will rise against the communist party.

Read China: Fragile Superpower by Susan L. Shirk (Assistant Secretary of state. Responsible for US-China Relation) Published by Oxford University Press 2007.
Price $27

:) The villagers have a common sense which seems lacking among the top brass of Indian educated class and media atleast at the moment viz viz China phobia.

Anyone believe what a border villagers analysis?

Why you guys start such a topic? You are starting verbal war now!

Anyway, China will not attack India due to southern tibet (Ap by indian) issue! It is not China who is afraid! Try attack China now and u will lose AP

China will not attack India unless provoked like in 1962:china:

The dictatorship going on china is really worry for india. Because a group of people can decide the fate of the entire south east asia. They want a land mass based on ancient stories. So if china starts a war with india for arunachal i can only equate with the barbarians who demolished babri masjid citing historical reasons.

If you have guts then attack.....I think your government fears that If they attack India then not only India but also many democracy supporters will rise against the communist party.

Read China: Fragile Superpower by Susan L. Shirk (Assistant Secretary of state. Responsible for US-China Relation) Published by Oxford University Press 2007.
Price $27

China has no guts to attack India, I guess. China only has guts to response to forwarding policy, as it has demonstrated.

I though India is fond of communism as it was a staunch follower of communist Soviet, and now its vestige Russia! When '71' crisis arose, India's beloved Soviet moved a carrier over for your sake. Now the ungrateful start to curse it. :tdown:

Democratic countries will never rise for India. Only communist country like Soviet will rise for India. Democratic countries, because of the nature of democracy, will only rise for themselves.

BTW, if you love China's collapsing fantasy, read Chinese American George Chan's book. He depicted a dreadful picture of China that will certainly entertain you. According to him, China collapsed decades ago, and now you type of people should live in a happy life thereafter... forever... :lol:

The dictatorship going on china is really worry for india.

Any funny enough, the even more dictating thugs in communist Soviet never worried you! ... and they were your best friends. :rofl:

Any funny enough, the even more dictating thugs in communist Soviet never worried you! ... and they were your best friends. :rofl:

Hey i do worry about soviets being ruled by one man.. and that is putin.. all the power in this world in one single man.. it's surely scarey. We have bee aliging with US more.. so you shouldn't be doubting about how majoirty indians think. However china is our neighbours and they have some crazy polices with respect to frogien affairs.. that mighty nation issues statement agaoinst one old man named dalali lama.. they want more land mass in asia based on historical thinking.. all this according to me remids me of a kid with a nuclear bomb..!!!! Well the issue here is there are many people who support china with respect to arunachal.. and there still many people who hate india for babri masjid.. so much irony going around here..!!!

I though India is fond of communism as it was a staunch follower of communist Soviet, and now its vestige Russia! When '71' crisis arose, India's beloved Soviet moved a carrier over for your sake. Now the ungrateful start to curse it

In 71 I think a DEMOCRATIC country tried to help pakistan. But bcz of Soviets they had to run away.:mps:

Democratic countries will never rise for India. Only communist country like Soviet will rise for India. Democratic countries, because of the nature of democracy, will only rise for themselves.

I never said that democratic countries will rise for India.what I concluded after reading a book of american writer that like India, china has many internal problems. So it will be most unpredictable situation if China attacks India instead of Taiwan.

good one,china have no reason to join a stupid war with india,as an old saying goes"The barefooted are not afraid of dressed ones",china is holding some dispute area which is very close to a capital,we prefer the smart way than the "no guts" way

A thief has to return what he has stolen, but not necessarily it has to be the original article, as long the compensation is fair. There's an even better solution that allows Bharat to keep most (or even all) of "AP" and allow it access to CAR and ASEAN, while providing the Middle Kingdom with similar benefits. This solution can even be a zero-net loss of land for both sides, just some land swapping. It is an elegant and fair solution that will ensure BOTH India and China will prosper! :smitten:

Back
Top Bottom