What's new

China conducted test on ground-based midcourse missile interception

There is a formula for the calculation of the radius of a nuclear blast when detonation is done on earth.

How do you detonate a nuke in space?

I think, it's not really meaningful to talk about blast radius in the traditional sense in outer space nuclear detonation. The blast effect on earth seen is caused mainly by very hot expanding air. There is no air in outer space and therefore will be no shock waves, with most of the energy being high intensity radiation. The effectiveness of nuke detonation in space against hard targets, like meteorites, is a lot less than you might think.

You can talk about the effective distance from the explosion that sats equipment will be fried by the EM energy.

I think, it's not really meaningful to talk about blast radius in the traditional sense in outer space nuclear detonation. The blast effect on earth seen is caused mainly by very hot expanding air. There is no air in outer space and therefore will be no shock waves, with most of the energy being high intensity radiation. The effectiveness of nuke detonation in space against hard targets, like meteorites, is a lot less than you might think.

You can talk about the effective distance from the explosion that sats equipment will be fried by the EM energy.

haha! I thought you are aware of this other than the basics that many of us know about:

High-altitude nuclear explosion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and to restate my previous posting: there will be very severe damages to satellites near by or within the radius!

did they detonate the warhead within range so as to kill the missile exoatmospherically through the blast, shock waves or shrapnels?

Shrapnels. But Russian 10K tons equivalent AA-84 nuclear warhead on the A-135 interception missille through nuclear shock wave and thermal radiantion to kill the target. actually,nuclear interception in extraatmospheric is low efficiency, the efficiency is much lower than the kinetic weapon.

ASAT test yet to be carried out。

Behind the doors the US is feverishly trying to persuade China not to。

haha! I thought you are aware of this other than the basics that many of us know about:

High-altitude nuclear explosion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and to restate my previous posting: there will be very severe damages to satellites near by or within the radius!

As far as I'm aware I did not contradict your views that satellites will be damaged or destroyed within the effective radius of an outer space nuclear detonation. In your original post you mentioned calculating the blast radius of nuclear detonation on land, so I assume you mean the physical blast radius caused by shock waves and heat as detonation close to land in the atmosphere is not as effective as an EMP weapon. And even if the purpose is to destory physical structure on ground it is still more effective to detonate nuclear weapons from some height of the ground, so that a larger proportion off the expanding shock wave connects with the targets.

As far as I'm aware I did not contradict your views that satellites will be damaged or destroyed within the effective radius of an outer space nuclear detonation. In your original post you mentioned calculating the blast radius of nuclear detonation on land, so I assume you mean the physical blast radius caused by shock waves and heat as detonation close to land in the atmosphere is not as effective as an EMP weapon. And even if the purpose is to destory physical structure on ground it is still more effective to detonate nuclear weapons from some height of the ground, so that a larger proportion off the expanding shock wave connects with the targets.

I have highlighted some key words in my post #69 about various things like the relative low altitude of the ISS vs your argument of the designer of the flying objects should well postion their satellites away from harm;the formula of the calculation of the blast radius on earth (knowing that the effect is completely different when the blast is taken place in space (a vacuum) and there should be a blast radius albeit in space) and severe damages (depending on the potency of the megatons) etc.

The effect of the outerspace nuke test by US' Starfish Prime in 1962 should have had a severe damage to the ISS if it were there in its present orbit which is within the blast radius. The detonation had just a 1.4-megaton yield!

Anyway I dont want to go into anymore nitty gritty about those as long as our minds meet now.

Shrapnels. But Russian 10K tons equivalent AA-84 nuclear warhead on the A-135 interception missille through nuclear shock wave and thermal radiantion to kill the target. actually,nuclear interception in extraatmospheric is low efficiency, the efficiency is much lower than the kinetic weapon.

Thanks that is what I was assuming too though I am not aware of the low efficiency of their nuke blast

ASAT test yet to be carried out。

Behind the doors the US is feverishly trying to persuade China not to。

Good. then tell them to back off from the japanese over their stupid Diaoyu Islands motives.

Back
Top Bottom