What's new

China conducts island encirclement and bombardment exercises!

Reaction score
Video 1

Video 2

Rock Fight

Were a battle over the Senkakus/Diaoyus to take place today, I would give China the edge, even though Japan holds the contested real estate and the United States has committed itself to the islands' defense. Geography and force are the main reasons why.

First consider the islands' geographic merits and drawbacks. The great fin de siècle seapower theorist Alfred Thayer Mahan classifies geostrategic assets by their position, strength, and resources. The Senkakus/Diaoyus occupy an awkward position near the southern tip of the undefended Ryukyus chain, closer to Taiwan than to the Japanese main islands and roughly equidistant between Okinawa and the Chinese mainland. The archipelago's natural defenses are so-so at best, owing to its small size and fragmentation into several islets.

The island chain's geography opens up options for a determined attacker. Rather than mount a full-scale assault, PLA occupiers could grab one island, place weaponry on it, and pummel Japanese GSDF sites from there -- seizing the rest over time through salami-slicing tactics. And since the islets offer virtually no natural resources to support garrisons, everything would have to be shipped in by sea or air. If China rules even a pocket of sea and airspace around the islands, it will probably get its way in a test of arms.

And however sincere Washington's assurances about helping defend the archipelago, Tokyo should not bank on its doing so with any real enthusiasm. U.S. leaders will not attach the same value to the Senkakus that Japan does. That disparity is apt to beget differences within the alliance over strategy and operations. To keep open their options, Japanese leaders should think ahead toward fielding weaponry and developing strategy for going it alone.

Defending these uninhabited islets, then, represents a microcosm of the larger dilemmas confronting Japan in maritime strategy. It poses a test of a high order for the Japanese military services -- and for the nation as a whole.

:china:China's strategy has become clear: bombard the islands and all nearby Japanese ships with rocket and missile attacks, then mine Japanese shipping routes!

I suggest China should take a page from the Brits, bombs these rocks into oblivion, so there will be no more disputes. China gets her gateway to the Pacific and Japan gets a bad name. :tup:

I suggest China should take a page from the Brits, bombs these rocks into oblivion, so there will be no more disputes. China gets her gateway to the Pacific and Japan gets a bad name. :tup:
Disagree. We must destroy all of our enemies for China to enjoy 1000 years of peace. Japan is only the first enemy. After Japan, then it is Vietnam and india.

Back
Top Bottom