What's new

China develops very fast super computer

Yes, of course I understand this. My comment was that it is not a big accomplishment to make it into the 2nd fastest (theoretically 1st fastest) supercomputer -- as China had this capability for years already. My emphasis was that it's better to develop in house knowledge to build AND design the entire machine indigenously.

By the way, this is part of my specialty. :)
:china:

and the core always belongs to intel:lol:

agreed. some countries should focus on learning how to organize the cores together before talking.

and who gives the guide line as to how to arrainge cores ? have u heard about an Indian super computer name PARAM that was put together by students

and who gives the guide line as to how to arrainge cores ? have u heard about an Indian super computer name PARAM that was put together by students

True, credits need to deliver when its due, Indian supercomputers are doing pretty good, congrates.

Just 3 Indian supercomputers in global Top 500 list

New ratings see both ‘ Made in India’ machines in list – at lower ranks
AMD fuels world’s fastest computer – at 1.75 petaflops

The latest half yearly ratings of the world’s 500 fastest computers finds the number of India-based machines shrink from six to three since the last ratings in June. The two made-in-India platforms are still in the list, but the machines used by private commercial agencies is down to just one at an unnamed location.

Tata’s Eka supercomputer in Pune’s Computational Research Laboratories (CRL) remains the fastest Indian supercomputer, its top performance of 132.8 teraflops remaining unchanged. However shifting goalposts in high performance computing technology sees the Eka slip from no 18 to no 26 in the list.

The government-run Centre For Development of Advanced Computing (C-DAC) also headquartered in Pune, sees its Param Yuva machine at no. 137 in the latest ratings announced November 17. Its speed is in fact a bit faster than before -- 38.1 teraflops -- but its rank is now 137, down from 109 in June.

Both platforms are clusters, indigenously assembled, using Intel Xeon chip- fuelled nodes sourced from HP
The only other India based supercomputer is a 28.357 teraflop cluster also with HP hardware, and ranked no. 247. :partay:
Just 3 Indian supercomputers in global Top 500 list

@ Brotherhood
I agree 100% with u brother.......we r all just doing integration..but don't u think unless these are done with indigenous processors can we claim our status ?

being able to have a high speed computer is critical for biomedical and chemical applications like:

high-speed throughput screening (for 1 cell with 1 mutation out of billions)
drug finding
molecular modeling
DNA sequencing
protein folding predictions
world climate models

and also things like shock wave, nuclear explosion, etc. having a supercomputer is a huge deal.

Not to mention that it can have dual-use military and defence applications.

Good Achievement and we will surely see more of it coming from China.

----Indian are friendly, this article is about the good side of China, most of Indian congratulate China, I say "Thank you!" instead of Chinese. If a Japanese write a article about Japan advanced technology, many Chinese would say some unfriendly words, we must study Indian's equity.

In another display of China’s aggressive bid to prove itself to the doubting world, it has released the world’s second-fastest supercomputer, edging closer to the reigning supercomputer champion of the world, the United States and surpassing Europe and Japan in the process.

The computer from Shenzen, affectionately named the Dawning Nebulae, was revealed at the International Supercomputer Conference in Hamburg, Germany, yesterday with a computing speed of 1.27 petaflops. That is equivalent of one thousand trillion mathematical operations a second.

From the New York Times’ report:

The Chinese machine is actually now ranked as the world’s fastest in terms of theoretical peak performance, but that is considered a less significant measure than the actual computing speed achieved on a standardized computing test.

The world’s fastest supercomputer, which was measured at 1.75 petaflops, is based at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory in Tennessee. The United States has 282 of the world’s fastest 500 computers.

But China still seems bent on challenging the United States’ supercomputer prowess. There has been speculation that China is currently massaging its current supercomputer to achieve even faster speeds. The new machine is expected to be released later this year and some experts say it could topple the U.S.’s dominance and claim the title of the world’s fastest:

“I wouldn’t be surprised if by the end of this year they surpass the scientific computing power of the EU countries combined and have a computer system with an achieved performance to reach the No. 1 position on the top 500,” said Jack Dongarra, a computer scientist at the University of Tennessee.

That link about "500 GHz" CPUs is awful. They use Hz interchangeably with "calculations per second". A high-end workstation might do 100 GFLOPS but only run at 3 GHz. They're also comparing Unknown Architecture "OPS" versus x86 OPS. The two are never directly comparable.

Back
Top Bottom