What's new

China Expressways, Highways: News & Discussions

World’s longest road-rail bridge in SW China one step closer to completion
(People's Daily Online) 16:29, June 28, 2017

FOREIGN201706281631000337981829622.jpg

Yibin Jinsha River Railway Bridge, the world’s longest road-rail steel box arch bridge, was closed on the morning of June 28 in Yibin, Sichuan province.

The 1874.9-meter bridge adopts a double-layer structure, with a roadway on the lower layer and high-speed rail on the upper layer. Its main span is 336 meters long.

According to a local resident, after the bridge opens, it will only take him five minutes to cross the river instead of 30 minutes by boat.

FOREIGN201706281631000445350669776.jpg

The construction of the bridge by China Railway Major Bridge Engineering Group started in December 2013. It is a key project on the railway linking Sichuan’s capital Chengdu with Guiyang, the capital of Guizhou province. The Chengdu-Guiyang railway, which is expected to open in 2019, is the world’s first high-speed rail line within a mountainous region and is designed for a maximum speed of 250 kilometers per hour.

Once complete, the rail line will shorten travel times between Yibin and Chengdu from six hours to one hour and between Chengdu and Guiyang from 12 to three hours.

FOREIGN201706281632000398279530227.jpg

FOREIGN201706281632000472282783501.jpg

An artist's rendition of the bridge

upload_2017-6-29_15-37-47.jpeg
upload_2017-6-29_15-37-19.jpeg

Last edited:
Main structure of world's longest cross-sea bridge finished
Source: Xinhua| 2017-07-07 12:38:51|Editor: Song Lifang

GUANGZHOU, July 7 (Xinhua) -- The main structure of world's longest cross-sea bridge linking Hong Kong, Zhuhai, and Macao was finished on Friday, bridge builders said.

It has taken seven years to build the bridge, which will be open to traffic at the end of the year, said Zhu Yongling, director of the management bureau of the bridge.

The main structure measures 29.6 kilometers, consisting of a 22.9-km bridge section and 6.7-km underground tunnel. The bridge's total length is 55 kilometers.

"The bridge has passed all engineering risks, and we will prepare it for public use in a few months," said Zhu.

Lin Ming, chief engineer of China Communications Construction Company Ltd., said they tackled great engineering challenges in building the bridge.

The Y-shaped bridge will cut travel time between Hong Kong and Zhuhai from three hours to just 30 minutes, further integrating cities in the Pearl River Delta, said Wei Dongqing, the management bureau's deputy Communist Party secretary.

It will create new space for the development of the Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao Greater Bay Area, he said.

China's largest immersed tube under inland waterway opens to traffic
New China TV
Published on Jul 7, 2017

China's largest immersed tube under an inland waterway opens to traffic. The 2,650-meter-long Honggu Tunnel in Nanchang, Jiangxi allows vehicles to pass through the Ganjiang River in three minutes.

World's longest desert highway opens to traffic
By Wang Xuejing
2017-07-15 13:54 GMT+8

263dc825-aaf2-45a2-8034-ae825cdc5dc6.jpg
The last three sections of the world's longest desert highway opened to traffic on Saturday.

The Beijing-Urumqi Expressway, with a total length of 2,540 kilometers, stretches from Beijing to Urumqi, the capital of northwest China's Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region.

b36d336e-0ff7-4180-ad16-5e01a8f3fd47.jpg
The Hami section of Beijing-Urumqi Highway in Hami, northwest China's Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region, June 18, 2017. /Xinhua Photo

It crosses through three Gobi deserts, the Tengri, Badan Jaran and Ulan Buh in northwest China.

The highway will shorten the road distance between Beijing and Urumqi by 1,300 kilometers.

upload_2017-7-15_14-42-10.jpeg

upload_2017-7-15_14-42-39.jpeg

upload_2017-7-15_14-48-58.jpeg

upload_2017-7-15_14-44-12.jpeg

upload_2017-7-15_14-45-2.jpeg

Last edited:
World's longest desert highway opens to traffic
By Wang Xuejing
2017-07-15 13:54 GMT+8

263dc825-aaf2-45a2-8034-ae825cdc5dc6.jpg
The last three sections of the world's longest desert highway opened to traffic on Saturday.

The Beijing-Urumqi Expressway, with a total length of 2,540 kilometers, stretches from Beijing to Urumqi, the capital of northwest China's Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region.

b36d336e-0ff7-4180-ad16-5e01a8f3fd47.jpg
The Hami section of Beijing-Urumqi Highway in Hami, northwest China's Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region, June 18, 2017. /Xinhua Photo

It crosses through three Gobi deserts, the Tengri, Badan Jaran and Ulan Buh in northwest China.

The highway will shorten the road distance between Beijing and Urumqi by 1,300 kilometers.
It will much ease the traffic jam on the old beijing-urumqi route via Silk Road Expressway.

Driving in Northeast China
Hunchun–Ulanhot Expressway G12/Jilin section

China_Expwy_G12_sign_with_name.svg.png

The Hunchun–Ulanhot Expressway (Chinese: 珲春—乌兰浩特高速公路), commonly referred to as the Hunwu Expressway (Chinese: 珲乌高速公路) is a 926.22-kilometre-long expressway (575.53 mi) in the People's Republic of China that connects the cities of Hunchun, Jilin and Ulanhot, Inner Mongolia. The route parallels much of China National Highway 302.

800px-Map_of_China_NTHS_Expressway_G12.png

Last edited:
DRIVING IN THE WILD WEST
3724km G6 Beijing-Tibet National Expressway
Chaka-Golmud section on Qinghai-Tibet plateau

58ee3d6d55fbb2fb5b7b71d84d4a20a44723dca3.jpg.png

The Beijing-Tibet Expressway (Chinese: 北京-西藏高速公路; pinyin: Běijīng-Xīzàng gāosù gōnglù), commonly abbreviated to Jingzang Expressway (Chinese: 京藏高速), also known as Beijing-Lhasa Expressway (Jingla Expressway; Chinese: 京拉高速公路) or China National Expressway 6, is part of the Chinese national expressway network and is planned to connect the nation's capital, Beijing, to the capital of the Tibet Autonomous Region, Lhasa.

It passes through a total of seven China's administrative regions, including the Beijing municipality, the province of Hebei, the autonomous regions of Inner Mongolia and Ningxia, the provinces of Gansu and Qinghai, and finally the Tibet Autonomous Region.

Beijing-Golmud section in operation
Golmud-Lhasa section starts construction in 2016
Map_of_China_NTHS_Expressway_G6.png

@AViet @Godman @TaiShang @cirr @Götterdämmerung @terranMarine @PaklovesTurkiye et al

China has invested heavily in infrastructure which has given its economy & companies boast, now their construction firms are getting huge contracts in other countries specially Asia & Africa.
But the fact remains that some of these projects specially bullet trains are so expensive that Chinese themselves can't afford it.

China has invested heavily in infrastructure which has given its economy & companies boast, now their construction firms are getting huge contracts in other countries specially Asia & Africa.
But the fact remains that some of these projects specially bullet trains are so expensive that Chinese themselves can't afford it.
Not expensive for average Chinese, 4000 bullet trains per day.
Dunno where the "fact" comes from. :o:

Not expensive for average Chinese, 4000 bullet trains per day.
Dunno where the "fact" comes from. :o:
Chinese people while travelling from beijing to shinghai...... train was empty. I remember in 2014 that was more expensive as we pay for karachi to dubai flight.

Chinese people while travelling from beijing to shinghai...... train was empty. I remember in 2014 that was more expensive as we pay for karachi to dubai flight.
Are you trolling here?
Beijing-Shanghai HSR is one of the few profitable HSRs in the world.
100 million passengers in 2014.
I beg you buy me karachi-dubai flight cheaper than a bullet train ticket of less than 80 dollars.

Last edited:
Are you trolling here?
Beijing-Shanghai HSR is one of the few profitable HSRs in the world,100 million passengers in 2014.
I beg you buy me karachi-dubai flight cheaper than a bullet train ticket of less than 80 dollars.

No, I am not trolling sharing my experience what Chinese said to me. I bought ticket at 135 USD in 2014.
I appreciate chinese development but common man life is not as good as infrastructure, same is in the most of the developing world.

No, I am not trolling sharing my experience what Chinese said to me. I bought ticket at 135 USD in 2014.
I appreciate chinese development but common man life is not as good as infrastructure, same is in the most of the developing world.
So 135 dollar is more expensive than 80 dollars?
Did that "Chinese" genuinely tell you Beijing-Shanghai HSR has annual ridership of over 100 MILLION?
Pls do not equate China to most developing countries, thanks, not even in the same living standards bracket.

Life expectancy at birth 1990-2013.png

135 USD is probably first class, otherwise its only 80 USD. I checked. In the long run, money invested in the railway tracks depreciate less than airplanes. Airlines right is now on parity with train because of cheap oil.

135 USD is probably first class, otherwise its only 80 USD. I checked. In the long run, money invested in the railway tracks depreciate less than airplanes. Airlines right is now on parity with train because of cheap oil.
In Europe, bullet train tickets are more expensive than air tickets in most cases, talk about "empty" just go to their bullet trains.

But in China, on the contrary, bullet train tickets are cheaper than air tickets and bus tickets in Most cases.
Standing tickets are a huge business for China Railway. o_O

005TDqJZly1fghdwreq4cj33402c0x6p.jpg

Suzhou HSR Station
8b19ad14-c815-4a8a-a855-5fa1457c84ee.jpg
苏州站1.jpg

Newly opened Xining HSR Station, Qinghai Province, Northwest China
II4A0141.jpg

Back
Top Bottom