What's new

China Expressways, Highways: News & Discussions

So 135 dollar is more expensive than 80 dollars?
Did that "Chinese" genuinely tell you Beijing-Shanghai HSR has annual ridership of over 100 MILLION?
Pls do not equate China to most developing countries, thanks, not even in the same living standards bracket.

View attachment 415254

What you want to prove by showing these, I talk about experiences. I showed my appreciation for infrastructure already. offending anyone is not intended.Hire an English speaking guide in China you will hear of negative side, same every country has so there is no paradise on earth

In Europe, bullet train tickets are more expensive than air tickets in most cases, talk about "empty" just go to their bullet trains.

But in China, on the contrary, bullet train tickets are cheaper than air tickets and bus tickets in Most cases.
Standing tickets are a huge business for China Railway. o_O

View attachment 415258

Suzhou HSR Station
View attachment 415259 View attachment 415260

Newly opened Xining HSR Station, Qinghai Province, Northwest China
View attachment 415261
Air flights are seldom empty because they frequently reschedule and oversold their seats. Remember the United Airlines? I don't think he knows the differences between train and airplanes policies.

Last edited:
No, I am not trolling sharing my experience what Chinese said to me. I bought ticket at 135 USD in 2014.
I appreciate chinese development but common man life is not as good as infrastructure, same is in the most of the developing world.

You are talking about the first class
Class and Ticket Price

G trains
(5-6 hours)
Business Seats CNY 1,748 3 seats in a row;
the sofa-like seats can be adjusted for passengers to lie flat.
Sightseeing Seats CNY 1,748 5 to 6 deluxe seats in the first car, just behind the cockpit.
First Class Seats CNY 933 4 seats in a row.
Second Class Seats CNY 553 5 seats in a row.

https://www.travelchinaguide.com/china-trains/beijing-shanghai-highspeed.htm

933 Yuan is is 138 USD
553 Yuan is 82 USD

Class and Ticket Price

G trains
(5-6 hours)
Sightseeing Seats CNY 1,748 5 to 6 deluxe seats in the first car, just behind the cockpit.

933 Yuan is is 138 USD
553 Yuan is 82 USD
90+% seats are second class, comfortable enough.

DRIVING IN THE WILD WEST
3724km G6 Beijing-Tibet National Expressway
Chaka-Golmud section on Qinghai-Tibet plateau

View attachment 415184

The Beijing-Tibet Expressway (Chinese: 北京-西藏高速公路; pinyin: Běijīng-Xīzàng gāosù gōnglù), commonly abbreviated to Jingzang Expressway (Chinese: 京藏高速), also known as Beijing-Lhasa Expressway (Jingla Expressway; Chinese: 京拉高速公路) or China National Expressway 6, is part of the Chinese national expressway network and is planned to connect the nation's capital, Beijing, to the capital of the Tibet Autonomous Region, Lhasa.

It passes through a total of seven China's administrative regions, including the Beijing municipality, the province of Hebei, the autonomous regions of Inner Mongolia and Ningxia, the provinces of Gansu and Qinghai, and finally the Tibet Autonomous Region.

Beijing-Golmud section in operation
Golmud-Lhasa section starts construction in 2016
View attachment 415183
@AViet @Godman @TaiShang @cirr @Götterdämmerung @terranMarine @PaklovesTurkiye et al

Thanks for tagging me, dear. U guys are crazy at infrastructure. :tup:

Is Shanghai also connected with Tibet through highways/railway? How many visitors Tibet receive from within China?

And what about infrastructure in western region of China? Do you have photos of that too?

:china: :)

Is Shanghai also connected with Tibet through highways/railway? How many visitors Tibet receive from within China?
Shanghai and Tibet is connected with both railway and highway.

I made a check on the navigation APP. If you wanna drive Shanghai to Lhasa, the 4,072km long route will cost you 62hr and 20min (a none-stop driving). This is an estimation only, the real time spending will be much longer than that, because you anyway need rest/sleep.
1342445367.png

I believe Andrew @AndrewJin can give you more information around.

Shanghai and Tibet is connected with both railway and highway.

I made a check on the navigation APP. If you wanna drive Shanghai to Lhasa, the 4,072km long route will cost you 62hr and 20min (a none-stop driving). This is an estimation only, the real time spending will be much longer than that, because you anyway need rest/sleep.
View attachment 415290

I believe Andrew @AndrewJin can give you more information around.

Thanks...

Class and Ticket Price

G trains
(5-6 hours)

933 Yuan is is 138 USD
553 Yuan is 82 USD
Your data is accurate.
There is also difference between 200-250km/h D trains and 300-350km/h G trains.
In addition, some lines in Western China are cheaper, some lines in Southeast China are more expensive.

In my hometown in Central China, taking 200-250km/h intercity to cities within the province is more popular than taking long-distance coach. A 300km journey on 200-250km/h trains connecting the biggest two cities in the province costs 84.5yuan (2nd class) and 102.5 yuan (1st class), that's 13 dollars and 15 dollars. 68 services daily. Bus used to cost 150 yuan, now prices have plummeted to less than 100yuan, but nobody is willing to waste 4 hours!

Expressway opens on permafrost of Qinghai-Tibet Plateau
Source: Xinhua| 2017-08-01 15:39:50|Editor: An

XINING, Aug. 1 (Xinhua) -- An expressway opened Tuesday on the permafrost of Qinghai-Tibet Plateau, the world's highest plateau.

The 634.8-km expressway section, which connects Gonghe County with the city of Yushu in northwest China's Qinghai Province, was built at an average altitude of over 4,000 meters.

Up to 36 percent of the road is built on permafrost that could become unstable due to temperature changes caused by vehicles.

Advanced technology was developed to keep the ground surface stable for the construction and operation of the expressway, said Niu Jiangzhong, from the Electrical Engineering Co., Ltd. of China Railway 12th Bureau Group.

Construction of the road took over six years, at a total cost of nearly 27 billion yuan (4 billion U.S. dollars).

To protect the local environment, vegetation was removed during construction and later replanted along the roadside.

The expressway has shortened the travel time between the provincial capital Xining and Yushu from 12 to just eight hours.

upload_2017-8-1_18-6-30.jpeg

upload_2017-8-1_18-6-11.jpeg

Thanks for tagging me, dear. U guys are crazy at infrastructure. :tup:

And what about infrastructure in western region of China? Do you have photos of that too?

:china: :)
Western China is a bloody huge region, economically a two-trillion dollar economy growing at 7-8% annually.
Did you refer to those border provinces? Some province like Sichuan is also in Western China but not really a province with international borders.

West to the red line is high-speed railways in Western China
971cb82fgy1fhdn22kk0yj21kw28gnii.jpg

West to the red line is expressway network in Western China
(only national expressways shown)
China_National_Expressway_Network.svg.png

Expressway in Xinjiang
布尔津-克拉玛依高速.jpg

Urban roads in Urumqi, capital of Xinjiang
Screen Shot 2017-03-17 at 17.39.21.jpg

Expressway over Tianshan Mountains
74d435ed116017abce110a.jpg

This is the G56 expressway under construction back in 2016 (now open)
The Yunnan Province section, near China-Burma border.

Expressways in Guizhou Province, Southwest China, poorest province in China

Expressways in Shannxi Province, Northwest China

Newly opened Xining Railway Station on Qinghai-Tibet plateau
serving Silk Road HSR and Qinghai-Tibet railway
西宁站.jpg
西宁站2.jpg

Another newly opened railway station in Lanzhou City, the capital of Gansu Province, one of the poorest provinces in China
兰州西站.jpg

A regular bullet train service between Lanzhou and Urumqi in Northwest China

客流很大,于是大家被要求排队。.jpg

旅客有序乘降中。.jpg

张掖西站,大上大下,依旧超员。确切的说是一路超员.jpg
张掖西站,大上大下,依旧超员。确切的说是一路超员2.jpg

Last edited:
World's longest desert highway opens to traffic
By Wang Xuejing
2017-07-15 13:54 GMT+8

263dc825-aaf2-45a2-8034-ae825cdc5dc6.jpg
The last three sections of the world's longest desert highway opened to traffic on Saturday.

The Beijing-Urumqi Expressway, with a total length of 2,540 kilometers, stretches from Beijing to Urumqi, the capital of northwest China's Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region.

b36d336e-0ff7-4180-ad16-5e01a8f3fd47.jpg
The Hami section of Beijing-Urumqi Highway in Hami, northwest China's Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region, June 18, 2017. /Xinhua Photo

It crosses through three Gobi deserts, the Tengri, Badan Jaran and Ulan Buh in northwest China.

The highway will shorten the road distance between Beijing and Urumqi by 1,300 kilometers.
Building anything in a Shifting sand desert is almost impossible. Only China can do it. :china:

Is Shanghai also connected with Tibet through highways/railway?
There is a daily train service from Shanghai to Lhasa, 4373km, 47h10min
Alterantively, take high-speed train to Lanzhou City (the one I mentioned in my previous reply), 2077km, 10hours, 6:17-16:55
Then transfer at the same station to Qinghai-Tibet Railway, 6 daily, 2188km, 23 hours.

In terms of road transport, now one can drive on the expressway from Shanghai all the way to the edge of Qinghai-Tibet plateau in Sichuan Province, then the rest of the journey will be on 318 national highway.
An expressway parallel to 318 highway is underway, with the opening section soon to be finished.
I think it will take us another 2-3 decades to finish the entire route, bloody difficult.

The first section on the edge of Tibetan plateau

No project in China's history is more difficult than this....possibly the human history
2-3 decades?.....I am not confident.

The following is the highway 318.....3-5km above the sea level
I hope I could one day in my life drive on the new expressway......

Back
Top Bottom