What's new

China hits out at WHO chief’s ‘irresponsible’ criticism of zero-Covid policy as censors target UN social media account

Hamartia Antidote

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
United States

• The foreign ministry accused Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus of not having a ‘proper understanding of the facts’
  • Internet users noted screen grabs of a post on the UN’s Weibo account and even pictures of Tedros had also been banned

Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, director-general of the World Health Organization (WHO) said of China’s zero-tolerance policy on Covid-19:  “I think a shift would be very important”. Photo: Reuters

Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, director-general of the World Health Organization (WHO) said of China’s zero-tolerance policy on Covid-19: “I think a shift would be very important”. Photo: Reuters

The Chinese foriegn ministry on Tuesday denounced the head of the World Health Organization for making “irresponsible” remarks after he said the country’s zero-Covid policies were unsustainable.

“We hope the relevant individual will make objective and reasonable views of China’s epidemic protocol and policy and try to get a better understanding of the facts and refrain from making irresponsible remarks,” foreign ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian told a regular briefing in Beijing.

China is facing rising pressure over the prolonged lockdown in Shanghai and the huge social costs of its zero tolerance policy, including residents in the country’s wealthiest city running out of food.

World Health Organization director general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus told a media briefing on Tuesday: “We don’t think that it is sustainable considering the behaviour of the virus and what we now anticipate in the future.

Another wrote: “Even the United Nations news centre [account] and Ghebreyesus were censored, it is getting worse”.

Most state media remained quiet about the comments, but Hu Xijin, former editor-in-chief of Global Times, a tabloid affiliated with the party mouthpieces People’s Daily, wrote on his Weibo account that Tedros was jeopardising China’s fight against the virus.

“The WHO should consider what impact it has on China when they comment on China now. They should not jeopardise China’s effort to fight the pandemic from outside.” he wrote.

He also said that the WHO “would not take responsibility” for deaths caused by easing the restrictions.

• The foreign ministry accused Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus of not having a ‘proper understanding of the facts’
  • Internet users noted screen grabs of a post on the UN’s Weibo account and even pictures of Tedros had also been banned

Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, director-general of the World Health Organization (WHO) said of China’s zero-tolerance policy on Covid-19:  “I think a shift would be very important”. Photo: Reuters

Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, director-general of the World Health Organization (WHO) said of China’s zero-tolerance policy on Covid-19: “I think a shift would be very important”. Photo: Reuters

The Chinese foriegn ministry on Tuesday denounced the head of the World Health Organization for making “irresponsible” remarks after he said the country’s zero-Covid policies were unsustainable.

“We hope the relevant individual will make objective and reasonable views of China’s epidemic protocol and policy and try to get a better understanding of the facts and refrain from making irresponsible remarks,” foreign ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian told a regular briefing in Beijing.

China is facing rising pressure over the prolonged lockdown in Shanghai and the huge social costs of its zero tolerance policy, including residents in the country’s wealthiest city running out of food.

World Health Organization director general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus told a media briefing on Tuesday: “We don’t think that it is sustainable considering the behaviour of the virus and what we now anticipate in the future.

Another wrote: “Even the United Nations news centre [account] and Ghebreyesus were censored, it is getting worse”.

Most state media remained quiet about the comments, but Hu Xijin, former editor-in-chief of Global Times, a tabloid affiliated with the party mouthpieces People’s Daily, wrote on his Weibo account that Tedros was jeopardising China’s fight against the virus.

“The WHO should consider https://amp.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/may/15/us-public-health-healthcare-covid-society impact it has on China when they comment on China now. They should not jeopardise China’s effort to fight the pandemic from outside.” he wrote.

He also said that the WHO “would not take responsibility” for deaths caused by easing the restrictions.
I remembered US was critisizing WHO too for asking US take it seriously.

I remembered US was critisizing WHO too for asking US take it seriously.

Well according to that article you are remembering completely wrong about the US criticising the WHO. Try reading it again or posting one that actually backs up your claims. It's actually China criticizing the WHO not the US.

Well according to that article you are remembering completely wrong about the US criticising the WHO. Try reading it again or posting one that actually backs up your claims. It's actually China criticizing the WHO not the US.
in early 2020 Trump wanted Tedros to resign and now China agrees

Corrupt Tedros has been compromised by the US since 2020 with threat and bribes , he has been shilling hard against china for re election at WHO.
This undignified Ethiopian burglar is set on damaging the WHO image all across the globe.

Corrupt Tedros has been compromised by the US since 2020 with threat and bribes , he has been shilling hard against china for re election at WHO.
This undignified Ethiopian burglar is set on damaging the WHO image all across the globe.
Are you getting paid on time?

There have been complaints, recently.

I guess he traded that red envelope of Chinese Yuan for Dollars.

The usual racism of Asians towards Africans raises its ugly head.

I remember your hero Trump saying it was just flu and he abandoned WHO after WHO critisized his response, and then he advocated everyone to inject chrolox. Lol

No, you have that backwards (gee what a shocker!).
The WHO was treating it like a simple flu and Trump wanted it treated more seriously.

Donald Trump threatens to pull US out of WHO​

U.S. President Donald Trump threatened to permanently end funding to the World Health Organization and pull out of the international body altogether in a letter blasting its coronavirus response and accusing its head of "political gamesmanship."

The letter, which Trump publicly revealed in a tweet Monday evening, listed a number of criticisms of the WHO's initial response to the novel coronavirus in the early days of the outbreak in China.

He claimed the WHO "ignored credible reports of the virus"

and

accused the organization of acting too slowly and bowing to pressure from the Chinese government.

Trump said that had Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus followed the example of the WHO during the SARS outbreak in 2003, during which it strongly criticized Chinese attempts to cover up the spread of the virus, "many lives could have been saved."
Ok keep lying. I was alive in 2020 dude. You think I have amnesia. He was accusing China if being totalitarian and overreacting when we did a lockdown, just like your attitudes now. Wake up cheerleader! You are no different from a commie drone, you are an American fanatic eventhough you know America fck up big time. How are you going to defend 1 million dead? Collateral damage, come I am waiting for your excuse. Lol

All The Times Trump Compared Covid-19 To The Flu, Even After He Knew Covid-19 Was Far More Deadly​

Go inject some chrolox now. Lolol

Ok keep lying. I was alive in 2020 dude. You think I have amnesia.

All The Times Trump Compared Covid-19 To The Flu, Even After He Knew Covid-19 Was Far More Deadly​

Go inject some chrolox now. Lolol

Yes, he said that in May 2020 when the WHO was saying China had assured it that COVID was no big deal.

May 19, 2020

Trump threatens to permanently cut WHO funding and withdraw US membership

President Donald Trump threatened to permanently cut U.S. funding to the World Health Organization and "reconsider" membership if the WHO does not adopt "major substantive improvements" within 30 days.

Trump's demands, made in a letter Tuesday to WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, are an escalation of his attacks on the organization. He accused the WHO of "repeated missteps" during the coronavirus pandemic and demanded it "demonstrate independence" from China.

"My administration has already started discussions with you on how to reform the organization. But action is needed quickly. We do not have time to waste," Trump wrote in his ultimatum, which comes about a month after he froze WHO funding, pending a formal investigation into the international health body and its coronavirus response.

The letter lists Trump's allegations that the United Nations agency missed warning signs of the virus's spread, then blithely accepted China's lack of transparency over the outbreak. The WHO initially circulated preliminary Chinese claims that there was no clear evidence of human-to-human transmission of the coronavirus.

Remember China being angry at countries for banning flights? Remember that?? They were saying Covid was no big deal.

Coronavirus deaths hit 259 as China voices anger at US travel ban​

Coronavirus: China slams Australia’s ‘extreme measures’ after travel ban extended​

WHO chief says widespread travel bans not needed to beat China virus​

Last edited:
Yes, he said that in March 2020 when the WHO was saying China had assured it that COVID was no big deal.
Stop lying genius, he was against mask and keep on downplaying the virus even until today. This is in OCTOBER, 7 MONTHS LATER. Keep lying! Sick of retarded cheerleaders, no different from religious fanatics.

Show me an article that says China says its not serious, China was protesting against flight suspension until the situation was confirmed which we did in January 2020 and tahts was month before the outbreak in US. The flights could have been quarantined like now not suspended, but US was at the height of anti. CHINA EUPHORIA. SICK PEOPLE, never seen such hatred from a bunch of cowboys.

Last edited:
Stop lying genius, he was against mask and keep on downplaying the virus even until today. This is in OCTOBER, 7 MONTHS LATER. Keep lying! Sick of retarded cheerleaders, no different from religious fanatics.

LOL! You keep moving the goal posts. I thought you were talking about him talking about leaving the WHO in early 2020 and now you are suddenly talking about an article in December 2020.

Any other goal posts you want move?

I think WHO chief if right, China should scrap this zero covid policy, Beijing's restrictions now are increasingly like Shanghai's.

LOL! You keep moving the goal posts. I thought you were talking about him talking about leaving the WHO in early 2020 and now you are suddenly talking about an article in December 2020.

Any other goal posts you want move?
No goalpost was moved, just pointing out your hypocrisy and double speak. Damned if we do damned if we don't. It was US who was critisizing and laughing at us when we quarantined Wuhan. Now when 1 mil died, it not so funny anymore right? Tedros is most likely under CIAs pocket now.

I think WHO chief if right, China should scrap this zero covid policy, Beijing's restrictions now are increasingly like Shanghai's.
I agree, I don't mind letting older folks die like US. If US can be democratic and free when 1 mil died, we should have the same excuse too I guess. Democracy is the rule of the majority afterall.

Back
Top Bottom