China, India too rich for state handouts

Kevrai

Reaction score
Country
India

Tim Lester
July 6, 2011

THE Gillard government is to phase out foreign aid to China and India, acknowledging the two Asian economic giants have not only become aid donors themselves but both even run space programs.

The Foreign Affairs Minister, Kevin Rudd, will announce the decision to end the two programs this morning.

He will also release the final report from the government's Independent Review of Aid Effectiveness.

The five-member panel, led by the former public servant and diplomat, Sandy Holloway, that prepared the report is believed to have made broadly positive conclusions about Australia's aid program.

The panel's report makes 39 recommendations.

It's believed the report is also supportive of a government plan to cut aid spending on advisers.

The aid program has been criticised for including hundreds of thousands of dollars in annual fees to individual Third World advisers in areas such as agriculture, education and transport.

Mr Rudd will also release a response from the government to the report.

A recommendation to phase out Australian aid to China and India is believed to be contained in the aid effectiveness report.

India has even requested an end to Australian aid, even though it remains home to hundreds of millions of the world's poorest people.

India also remains a major recipient of non-government aid from Australia.

In the 2009-10 financial year, India received $20.5 million in Australian aid while China received $41.1 million.

Despite their size and emerging importance, both countries have been small recipients of Australian aid compared with Papua New Guinea, which received $450 million.

China's own foreign aid program is believed to be more than $1 billion per year.

The Gillard government plans to spend $4.8 billion on foreign aid this financial year although that figure is expected to rise dramatically during the next four years.

The government is committed to increasing foreign aid spending to 0.5 per cent of gross national income by 2015-16, a near doubling.

The increase is likely to bring more public scrutiny of Australia's aid spending at a time when the government is committed to bringing the federal budget back into surplus in 2012-13.

China too receives aid ? This was news to me.

In all fairness, you cannot ' dare' anyone to stop giving aid to you . Political implications aside ,it is the donors prerogative.

i don't know about china but india need's aid , we still have a lot of poor in our nation so it is better we remain humble and accept any aid given to us.

China too receives aid ? This was news to me.

In all fairness, you cannot ' dare' anyone to stop giving aid to you . Political implications aside ,it is the donors prerogative.

It should not be looked on as aid but war reparations for the colonization of China and India. Whites carry a collective guilt and blood debt that will be repaid with interest. They can do it financially, or there can be new methods of payment devised.

i don't know about china but india need's aid , we still have a lot of poor in our nation so it is better we remain humble and accept any aid given to us.

I think India needs effective distribution/disposal of funds directed towards the welfare of poor instead of aid from anyone.

However, if you are talking about our poor politicians then of course one of their source will dry out but I'm sure they will arrange a new one :lol:

India also remains a major recipient of non-government aid from Australia

people surly like to grill from whome this non-government aid comes and where it spent , in my view this perticuler non-government aid should be first stoped.....

It should not be looked on as aid but war reparations for the colonization of China and India. Whites carry a collective guilt and blood debt that will be repaid with interest. They can do it financially, or there can be new methods of payment devised.

The govt should be careful so that the aid is not misused to suit the donor's purpose.

It is true that there is the chance of aid being given for ulterior motives.

China doesn't need state handouts, & it helps bringing millions people out of poverty as well every year. While the Indian state might not need state handouts, the state doesn't do much to elevate its people out of the poverty line.

China doesn't need state handouts, & it helps bringing millions people out of poverty as well every year. While the Indian state might not need state handouts, the state doesn't do much to elevate its people out of the poverty line.

you are wrong. we have uplifted millions from poverty

Lol man you dont know a thing about india yet you want to comment on every god damn thing india is not only made of up and bihar you know s#it about other states so kkeep you thoughts to your self

Another I love China- I hate India Bull$hit.FYI India has pulled out millions out of poverty during recent economic boom..i agree there is still a long way to go..but before commenting on India,look at your own country first...Instead of reducing poverty,It is increasing day by day

Doesn't work like that, sonny! Poor don't get "aid" help. Most of the so called aid goes to NGOs and yes, they just use it to make their life rich.

Back
Top Bottom