What's new

China needs a fixed-wing close air-support aircraft like the A-10

Dragon Emperor

Reaction score
Fixed-wing planes for CAS role are more survivable than attack helis for the same role, since they can fly higher than helis and yet can choose to go lower when the situation demands for their weaponry to attack enemy ground forces within effective targeting ranges. Plus, they can be faster than helis, and can be even more heavily armored with titanium armor, and that means they can endure more enemy fire than vulnerable attack helis. Chinese ballistic missiles are for attacking static enemy targets, and not for a CAS role or loitering in enemy airspace after the SEAD success to attack targets of opportunity when called on by friendly ground forces. If China develops its own version of A-10, i think it must be bigger to host more weapons carrying space, slightly more armor than the A-10 at the expense of slightly reduced max speed (but still has a max speed that would be at minimum 200 kmph faster than WZ-10 max speed ), and has a targeting pod to carry PGMs, as well as unguided rockets, ATGMs, and 30mm cannon. In a scenario where PLAAF has gained air superiority, these A-10-like planes can help the PLA get CAS better due to longer loiter times and high survivability due to heavy armor. This could literally be China’s “ flying tank ”. They can also carry chaff or flares to ward off enemy SAMs and Manpads. So, can China develop an A-10-like plane ?Is it within their capability ?

The A-10 was built as a cold war tank buster, I agree that such an aircraft is still very relevant but military planners everywhere are in favor of delegating this role to advanced UCAVs with improving payloads.

Russians have the SU-34 as their premier attack aircraft, I think China is trying to acquire those. Also I think it would be better if China concentrated on a Gunship aircraft like the AC-130. There were projects for Gunship versions of Y-8, don't know its status now. Knowing how these are also better suited for COIN, they will be very integral in future military events.

Specifically, and simply put, the Chinese need an aerial platform to mount their Type 1130 CIWS. :D

First, China needs to build a badass giant gun, and then strap a plane to it; that's how you make an A-10...
GAU-8.jpg

[Edit]: God, I'm just taking the piss today. Why am I shitposting so much?

First, China needs to build a badass giant gun, and then strap a plane to it; that's how you make an A-10...
GAU-8.jpg

[Edit]: God, I'm just taking the piss today. Why am I shitposting so much?

Well, the Type 1130 would more than suffice.

Fixed-wing planes for CAS role are more survivable than attack helis for the same role, since they can fly higher than helis and yet can choose to go lower when the situation demands for their weaponry to attack enemy ground forces within effective targeting ranges. Plus, they can be faster than helis, and can be even more heavily armored with titanium armor, and that means they can endure more enemy fire than vulnerable attack helis. Chinese ballistic missiles are for attacking static enemy targets, and not for a CAS role or loitering in enemy airspace after the SEAD success to attack targets of opportunity when called on by friendly ground forces. If China develops its own version of A-10, i think it must be bigger to host more weapons carrying space, slightly more armor than the A-10 at the expense of slightly reduced max speed (but still has a max speed that would be at minimum 200 kmph faster than WZ-10 max speed ), and has a targeting pod to carry PGMs, as well as unguided rockets, ATGMs, and 30mm cannon. In a scenario where PLAAF has gained air superiority, these A-10-like planes can help the PLA get CAS better due to longer loiter times and high survivability due to heavy armor. This could literally be China’s “ flying tank ”. They can also carry chaff or flares to ward off enemy SAMs and Manpads. So, can China develop an A-10-like plane ?Is it within their capability ?

Even Americans wouldn't use A-10 to attack countries like China neighbors.

The A-10 was built as a cold war tank buster, I agree that such an aircraft is still very relevant but military planners everywhere are in favor of delegating this role to advanced UCAVs with improving payloads.

I agree. It's simply too dangerous to fly low in today's battlefield.

How about UAV based on L-15? Yeah, never heard anymore about new 'Q' aircraft after Q-5 Fantan.

Also, if China has completed SEAD missions over enemy territory with the faster J-11 and J-10 jets, the Chinese A-10 whose primary and only mission is CAS, can help provide CAS for Marine troops participating in an amphibious landing. They can be used much effectively in so-called wolf-packs of 4-5 planes in one CAS mission, and provide overwhelming support for PLA marines that would come under heavy enemy fire in the process of securing and enlarging a beach-head. For that, a VTOL-capability for Chinese A-10 could also be considered, to make it more easily served onboard PLAN Carrier.

Also, if China has completed SEAD missions over enemy territory with the faster J-11 and J-10 jets, the Chinese A-10 whose primary and only mission is CAS, can help provide CAS for Marine troops participating in an amphibious landing. They can be used much effectively in so-called wolf-packs of 4-5 planes in one CAS mission, and provide overwhelming support for PLA marines that would come under heavy enemy fire in the process of securing and enlarging a beach-head. For that, a VTOL-capability for Chinese A-10 could also be considered, to make it more easily served onboard PLAN Carrier.

Sound like you are describing American operations against Taliban

Ugh, only as target drone? This babe need an ammo.

It is neither technologically nor practically feasible for a drone to achieve substantial kinematic performance. The technical issues behind that has been discussed here before, but I'm not going to bother digging those threads up.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom