What's new

China protests over South Korea's plan for US missile defences

No, i think he is referring to the British Army's retreat from Kabul in 1842, and the subsequent annihilation of the entire Army. In fact only 1 managed to escape alive back to British India.....

1842 retreat from Kabul - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last-stand.jpg

I see.

Anyways, Afghanistan (or its ancient entity) did survived an attack from a Western power, specifically Alexander's army when he tried to expand into South Asia.

I see.

Anyways, Afghanistan (or its ancient entity) did survived an attack from a Western power, specifically Alexander's army when he tried to expand into South Asia.

Yes, that is true. Afghanistan is a relatively mountainous region and due to this aspect, inhibits logistics for any army operating in the country. As you noted , Alexander had issues traversing trough Bactria. The British had issues, so did the Soviets after them, and even to an extent the ISAF has failed to fulfill its objectives in the country. As you may or may not know the Taliban are still viable and the ISAF have already started to leave the country.

In fact the ISAF's actions and operations in Afghanistan have ended in epic, gargantuan FAILURE.

Isis and the Taliban are brutally carving up modern Afghanistan | Voices | The Independent

‘From Vietnam to Afghanistan, US military intervention has failed to deliver’ — RT Op-Edge

By the way, you've seen the state 'Iraq' is in right now , yes? I don't think there really is even an Iraq anymore.

I see.

Any ways my point is that US foreign policies in modern real time have been catastrophic, actually. This is one of the reasons why I hope that leadership in Seoul will cooperate with Beijing in solving the inter-Korean crisis through a more local level and abandon this failure of a system that is the 6 party talk. The United States is totally irrelevant in the region now and the fact that it has failed to even thwart Pyongyang's nuclear ambitions is indicative. American machinations in the region is for its own self gain and to preserve its presence in Japan and Korea.

@Nihonjin1051 I agree with you here, regarding the failure of the six-party talks. As for China-ROK cooperation, we've seen a significant improvement in the bilateral relations and IIRC President Park did thank China for coming in handy in terms of defusing the tensions on the Korean peninsula, so it sounds plausible to me that the Blue House needs Beijing as a mediator to solve the crisis. It would be a wise step to include the Kremlin to the process of defusing, let's not forget them.

It was a hegemony that was always sought after by the United States even before the Japanese Empire saw to the necessity of war. Because of this geostrategic reality, at the time:

japanesse_shipping.jpg

ngo_icon.jpg

Japanese-Mandate.jpg

2000px-Pacific-German-Colonies.svg.png

The United States had always deigned to acquire those islands and to wrest control of the Central and Western Pacific from Japan; one way or another. The war, which was forced upon Japan through crippling sanctions, was just the conduit to realize that.

Sir,

Let us not feign ignorance, please. Accept it as reality and truth, i think being apologetic about this doctrinal and "mandated" truth is beneath you.

manifest-destiny-H.jpeg

Manifest Destiny and the Pacific

Are you really Nihonjin san?:what:

Just find it weird that its all the fault of 'evil/imperialist' west oppressing holy East asian countries, with Japan as the holiest obviously. JAPAN ONLY FOUGHT FOR THE LIBERATION AND FREEDOM OF ASIANS. LMAO.:rofl:
Awwwwwwww........How sweet of Japan.:lol:

Its no wonder the vast majority of Chinese and koreans hate Japan more than any other country. Now I understand why. :agree:. Its because Japan liberated them from western imperialism. :omghaha:

Should India also join in the US led alliance and offer bases to US army in J&K and Arunachal Pradesh to add to the discomfiture of China?

He might be referring to an earlier Western power - Alexander the Great's military force

I'm referring to the 1842 campaign but you're correct that's not the first occasion. There have been a number of others:

1. The defeat of the Greek (Seleucid) occupation of Afghanistan by Meer Dad ('Mithradates I' to the Romans) at the battle of Herat in 167 BC. The term Parthian is 'Pathan' in India, and the dynasty was started by two brothers from Bactria, Afghanistan.

2. The defeat of the Roman Emperor Crassus at the Battle of Carrhae in 53 BC by Surenas (meaning 'the Suri') the Parthian. He was of the Pashtun Suri family which also produced Muhammed 'Ghauri' Suri who founded the Ghurid dynasty in the 13th century and Sher Shah Suri who founded the Suri dynasty which ruled India for a short period in the 16th century.

Please see 'Defeat of Rome in the East' by Gareth Sampson probably the most detailed and best book on the subject. http://www.amazon.com/Defeat-Rome-E...83&sr=8-1&keywords=defeat+of+rome+in+the+east

3. There have also been something like 6 or 7 Russian invasions of Afghanistan which failed. Not just the one in the 1980's.

So basically fought Greeks, Romans, Brits, Russians etc.

No, i think he is referring to the British Army's retreat from Kabul in 1842, and the subsequent annihilation of the entire Army. In fact only 1 managed to escape alive back to British India.....

1842 retreat from Kabul - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last-stand.jpg

He was deliberately left alive to send the message to the others. 14,000 British troops were wiped out in one day. Most people don't know that the Afghan army was led by a woman. The British weren't keen to popularize that...can't wonder why lol

I see.

Yes. The fact that there were several 'Alexanders' during the Greek occupation means that some of the campaigns of the original have been confused with those of the others.

Yes, that is true. Afghanistan is a relatively mountainous region and due to this aspect, inhibits logistics for any army operating in the country. As you noted , Alexander had issues traversing trough Bactria. The British had issues, so did the Soviets after them, and even to an extent the ISAF has failed to fulfill its objectives in the country. As you may or may not know the Taliban are still viable and the ISAF have already started to leave the country.

In fact the ISAF's actions and operations in Afghanistan have ended in epic, gargantuan FAILURE.

Isis and the Taliban are brutally carving up modern Afghanistan | Voices | The Independent

‘From Vietnam to Afghanistan, US military intervention has failed to deliver’ — RT Op-Edge

By the way, you've seen the state 'Iraq' is in right now , yes? I don't think there really is even an Iraq anymore.

Any ways my point is that US foreign policies in modern real time have been catastrophic, actually. This is one of the reasons why I hope that leadership in Seoul will cooperate with Beijing in solving the inter-Korean crisis through a more local level and abandon this failure of a system that is the 6 party talk. The United States is totally irrelevant in the region now and the fact that it has failed to even thwart Pyongyang's nuclear ambitions is indicative. American machinations in the region is for its own self gain and to preserve its presence in Japan and Korea.

Afghans do have their own tactical manuals for fighting invasion such as Khushaal Khan Khattack's 17th century guide to waging guerrilla warfare in the 'Dastur-nama', and Amir Dost Muhammad's guide in the 19th century.

I find myself agreeing with the French philosopher and demographer Emmanuel Todd that the US is becoming irrelevant to the world, but is desperately trying to create situations to remain relevant.

Are you really Nihonjin san?:what:

Just find it weird that its all the fault of 'evil/imperialist' west oppressing holy East asian countries, with Japan as the holiest obviously. JAPAN ONLY FOUGHT FOR THE LIBERATION AND FREEDOM OF ASIANS. LMAO.:rofl:
Awwwwwwww........How sweet of Japan.:lol:

Its no wonder the vast majority of Chinese and koreans hate Japan more than any other country. Now I understand why. :agree:. Its because Japan liberated them from western imperialism. :omghaha:

Those of us whose great-grandparents lived in those colonized countries, and traveled to others know how bad it was. The idea that white European colonialism was some minor evil is something that nobody who has heard stories of that period can believe. The system of exploitation was so bad that it brought together people from completely different continents all of whom had suffered the same experiences.

I would recommend that you read some of Sven Lindqvist's work on the subject. What amazed me was that way back in the 1600's and 1700's white Europeans were dreaming of ways that the 'Asiatics' could be wiped out. One fiction author in the 1700's even wrote about being able to take to the air just to wipe out the Chinese. That sort of pathological hatred wasn't based on desire for resources it was based on hatred itself.

Oh, and my great-grandparents fought in WW2 against the Japanese Army, so it's not as if I'm unaware of the issues from a personal perspective.

Last edited:
The Ho-Sainteny Treaty was implemented because of US fears of Communist Domino Theory, which was already beginning to unravel in Europe with the Soviets cordoning most of Central Europe. Ho Chi Minh was actually a pragmatist individual earlier in life and saw to cooperation without bloodshed. He had considered French agreement with the ultimate independence of Viet Nam from the French Union. In fact Ho Chi Minh only agreed to the Treaty to bide time. It was actually the machinations of French and their puppet Bao Dai , who led the Vietnamese National Army into conflict with the Viet Minh.
Please...Now you are insulting your own intelligence...:rolleyes:

The Ho-Sainteny Agreement was made between Ho Chi Minh and Jean Sainteny BEFORE THE END OF WW II. The discussion to have post war Indochina returning to French control was made in Paris with the active participation of Ho speaking -- unauthorized -- for Viet Nam. The two men were actually friends and Ho was staying at Sainteny's home in France. France wanted any impression of approval, no matter how flimsy and from any source, to return to Indochina as colonial master. Had nothing to do with communism because the immediate concerns at that time for China was an impending civil war between the Chinese communists and the Chinese nationalists. Any assist from Mao or Stalin was remote. Both Ho and France knew it. That left the US as the only obstacle for France's return. The only obstacle and the most likely power to successfully put Roosevelt's UN Trusteeship into action that would PEACEFULLY have Indochina towards independence.

You got your timing way off, pal, and because of that, the rest of your post is garbage.

@Nihonjin1051 I agree with you here, regarding the failure of the six-party talks. As for China-ROK cooperation, we've seen a significant improvement in the bilateral relations and IIRC President Park did thank China for coming in handy in terms of defusing the tensions on the Korean peninsula, so it sounds plausible to me that the Blue House needs Beijing as a mediator to solve the crisis. It would be a wise step to include the Kremlin to the process of defusing, let's not forget them.

I've been reading Korean appraisals of the situation , actually. It is published in Korean and Japanese. If youn want to take a look at it (if you can read Japanesr or Korean) I can send you an attachment via PM. If you cannot, then I can translate it for you. If you are interested. You will be quite surprised Korean intelligentsia's viewpoint.

The United States is totally irrelevant in the region now and the fact that it has failed to even thwart Pyongyang's nuclear ambitions is indicative. American machinations in the region is for its own self gain and to preserve its presence in Japan and Korea.

Precise points.

Apart from failing to resolve the crisis, the presence of the US within the context of Korean Peninsula appears to be itself becoming a raison d'etre for growing hostilities. Not to solve the crisis, but. at least to freeze and contain it, the regional powers should take the US factor out of the equation.

SPT is still meaningful, I guess, but the role of the US needs to be reduced to, at least, a junior partner level and it should be sanctioned from staging aggressive and inconclusive moves to further deepen the crisis and render it unsolveable.

The US openly desires the crisis to continue.

Last edited:
I've been reading Korean appraisals of the situation , actually. It is published in Korean and Japanese. If youn want to take a look at it (if you can read Japanesr or Korean) I can send you an attachment via PM. If you cannot, then I can translate it for you. If you are interested. You will be quite surprised Korean intelligentsia's viewpoint.

Luckily, our distinct culture and writing techniques keep lots of inter-Asian dialogue from the reach of foreigners, especially, from the reach of general public. This allows us to pursue long term goals with conjectural (often distracting) moves that appear to be contradictory.

As for @Nihonjin1051 's ideas, I have been interacting with him from day one he joined this forum (although only in this section while Nihonjin has been active in many other sections, I guess); he always held a pan-East Asianist viewpoint. The disagreements we had were largely on the issue of application (conjectures), not the direction (structure).

What happens is that Nihonjin just began to concentrate more on the ideational (and larger geopolitical-structural) aspects of Northeast Asian regional development. Hence our innate unity in theorizing Northeast Asian geopolitical space has become more manifest, taking some people by surprise.

That's East Asian dynamics and you will never really comprehend it as you are always blinded by conjectures.

You got your timing way off, pal, and because of that, the rest of your post is garbage.

Yeah, I've been noticing that Nihonjin1051 tends to "distort" things for his own personal glorification on PDF.

Like for example, the good Dr. is the only person here that can read both Korean + Japanese. Almost like we're living in the 18th century, and he's never heard of Google translator.

But it's OK. We're all humans. We all have some egoistic imperfections...

@Nihonjin1051 ,is your account hacked or what because,sometimes i really dont get you?:undecided:
I have my doubts about you being from Japan:sarcastic:

Perhaps you are used to me being too nice? I am naturally blunt sans pleasantries. :)

Yeah, I've been noticing that Nihonjin1051 tends to "distort" things for his own personal glorification on PDF.

Like for example, the good Dr. is the only person here that can read both Korean + Japanese. Almost like we're living in the 18th century, and he's never heard of Google translator.

But it's OK. We're all humans. We all have some egoistic imperfections...

Sorry you think that way. That message was meant for @Arryn and not really for you.

Regards,

Perhaps you are used to me being too nice? I am naturally blunt sans pleasantries. :)

Sorry you think that way. That message was meant for @Arryn and not really for you.

Regards,

@Nihonjin1051 , aside from the one you yourself caused, let's hope the Japanese nation will surprise our questioning friends by abruptly joining the AIIB. LOL.

I am not sure they would be able to take it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom