China ranks among middle, high-income countries

beijingwalker

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
China

17:16, December 13, 2011

The "2012 Industry Blue Book" released yesterday by the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences said that China now ranks among the middle and upper income countries.

According to the grouping standards released by the Word Bank in 2008, a country with the per capita gross national income (GNI) between 3,865 U.S. dollars and 11,905 U.S. dollars will be categorized as a middle and upper income country, while China's per capita GNI reached 4,260 US dollars last year.

The report said that China ranks first in its current international competitiveness of industry, followed by Germany, the United States and Japan. Hong Kong and Taiwan are in the 13th and 17th place, respectively.

The report also warns China against falling into the "middle income trap" and councils it to maintain healthy and rapid development.

The "2012 Industry Blue Book" released yesterday by the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences said that China now ranks among the middle and upper income countries.

According to the grouping standards released by the Word Bank in 2008, a country with the per capita gross national income (GNI) between 3,865 U.S. dollars and 11,905 U.S. dollars will be categorized as a middle and upper income country, while China's per capita GNI reached 4,260 US dollars last year.

The report said that China ranks first in its current international competitiveness of industry, followed by Germany, the United States and Japan. Hong Kong and Taiwan are in the 13th and 17th place, respectively.

The report also warns China against falling into the "middle income trap" and councils it to maintain healthy and rapid development.

No, the CASS report says China is now an upper-middle income country. It's just some journalists have no idea what upper-middle income means so they wrote their reports as if it means middle and higher income.

For a country with 1,3 billion people that was very poor 2 decades ago this is a huge achievement. With reforms, China will be able to sustain this rapid grow in the future.

But is this right?
The Global Competitiveness Report by the WEF says something different, if this is two reports compare the same issue.

Has China reached that high yet? I really doubt it. For certain cities, that is true. For the whole China, I do not think so.

Priority of Chinese government at the moment should be focused on narrowing the wealth gap. In addition, move the labour heavy industries to interior provinces to provide jobs for the poor. The coastal areas are already pretty developed.

We have so many poor people how can we conclude this? to cheat again?

Has China reached that high yet? I really doubt it. For certain cities, that is true. For the whole China, I do not think so.

As i posted above, for the competitiveness im not sure, but the number of 4260$ by 2010 for the whole of China is true, estimated by the World Bank with the Atlas Method.

4300 USD per year is slightly lower than middle income for factory workers.

That comes out to 27000 RMB per year, or approximately 2500 per month. Any factory worker can make that amount of money, not including their free food and housing.

Even my hometown in inland China has per capita GDP of 60000 RMB.

$4300 USD is a low figure. I think the average income of Chinese is closer to $6000 USD since the Yuan is undervalued.

I don't doubt 4300 USD. There are still many poor farmers who will lower the average. By purchasing power, we easily have 9000-10000 USD. A meal in California costs 7 USD. A meal in China costs 6 RMB for a box meal.

China is getting better, so illegal immigration is down significantly. Ever since 2005, all immigration out of China has been decreasing.

Illegal immigration to the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Country/Total/Percent of Total/Percent Change 2000-2009

China 120,000 1% -37%

Interesting, China recently revised their poverty threshold closer to that of the UN's thereby bringing more people into the poverty bracket. While America is trying to reclassify China as no longer a developing country, no doubt trying to leverage some kind of economic/political advantage.

Interesting, China recently revised their poverty threshold closer to that of the UN's thereby bringing more people into the poverty bracket. While America is trying to reclassify China as no longer a developing country, no doubt trying to leverage some kind of economic/political advantage.

It is an advantage to be a developing country when you are negotiating things like climate change protocols.

4300 USD per year is slightly lower than middle income for factory workers.

That comes out to 27000 RMB per year, or approximately 2500 per month. Any factory worker can make that amount of money, not including their free food and housing.

Even my hometown in inland China has per capita GDP of 60000 RMB.

Your data are just for working people, adding the non-working people, the per capita will be much less.

We should know that we are a poor country and should invest more to the middle and west regions

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom