beijingwalker

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
China
China satellite navigation starts services to Asia
Associated Press in Beijing
Thursday, 27 December, 2012, 2:24pm

A Chinese satellite navigation network created to eventually compete with America’s Global Positioning System has started offering services to Asian users outside the country.

The network’s spokesman, Ran Chengqi, said in a press briefing that the Beidou system is offering from Thursday services including positioning, navigation, time and text messaging to users in the Asia-Pacific region.

China expects Beidou to generate a 400 billion yuan (HK$492 billion) annual market for services to the transport, meteorology and telecommunications sectors.

China, and especially its military, has long been wary of relying on the United States’ dominant GPS network, fearing that Washington might take the system offline in a conflict or an emergency.

1_20110328145413644lj.jpg

104132454.tl.jpg

2011122975B8AE9A154D47AF91D7B28B8D22B7ED.jpg

北斗导航:总体性能与GPS相当 拥有“独门绝技”  
“北斗导航系统拥有‘独门绝技’,将成冲击市场的‘杀手锏’。”中国航天科技集团公司导航工程办公室主任吴东说。

吴东所说的“杀手锏”指的是北斗将导航与通信紧密结合起来。世界上其他的全球卫星导航系统只是告诉用户什么时间、在什么地方,而北斗系统除此之外还可以将用户的位置信息发送出去,使用户想告知的其他人获知用户的情况。

Beidou has something better than GPS,though I don't quite understand how this part works.

Beidou has something better than GPS,though I don't quite understand how this part works.

It means Beidou will also be transmitting information about the place you are at, not just location.
In short, when i come to Beijing, i wont need you as a tour guide...ill just search for anything on the Beidou interface or (more likely by then) a smart phone app.
Apps on Android and Garmin Nav have this also.

It means Beidou will also be transmitting information about the place you are at, not just location.
In short, when i come to Beijing, i wont need you as a tour guide...ill just search for anything on the Beidou interface or (more likely by then) a smart phone app.
Apps on Android and Garmin Nav have this also.

it has the limited ability to send and transmit short messages(sms service), more than just tourism, its meant as a life saving measure, for instance a lost fishing ship, tht has lost its propulsion, can transmit a short sos to the government.

Just another technology that will be misused by the communist to track its people.

I don't see this going too well with any country that has conflicts with china. Just like their telecom companies being banned because of the lack of integrity on secrurity

Typical FoxNews bravado. Go slow on your cable package and eat some desi foods!

Just another technology that will be misused by the communist to track its people.

I don't see this going too well with any country that has conflicts with china. Just like their telecom companies being banned because of the lack of integrity on secrurity

Typical FoxNews bravado. Go slow on your cable package and eat some desi foods!

vs. blind umbrage you show your enablers? stop donning the crown of kissing up :lol:

I don't need Fox to tell me they use technology to regulate their own people and that their telecom companies are banned by several countries because of the potential for the CCP to misuse it.

vs. blind umbrage you show your enablers? stop donning the crown of kissing up :lol:

I don't need Fox to tell me they use technology to regulate their own people and that their telecom companies are banned by several countries because of the potential for the CCP to misuse it.

The US government can track you using GPS as well. In fact, it's perfectly legal for the US government to stick a GPS tracker on your car and follow you without a warrant.

People who are paranoid of governments wouldn't use GPS anyway.

The US government can track you using GPS as well. In fact, it's perfectly legal for the US government to stick a GPS tracker on your car and follow you without a warrant.

People who are paranoid of governments wouldn't use GPS anyway.

US law enforcement can track you if you use pay as you go phones and only if law enforcement suspects one of criminal activities vs. big brother snooping activities that China uses it's technology for. http://consumerist.com/2012/08/15/c...ta-on-pay-as-you-go-phones-without-a-warrant/

I think it's hilarious you would even compare US govt to China's proven usage of technology to track its citizens everyday.

http://www.defence.pk/forums/world-affairs/226856-china-toughens-its-restrictions-use-internet.html

GREAT! Future who has her own GPS, who will own the world (no any secret and dark shadow,the truth in her eyes)

US law enforcement can track you if you use pay as you go phones and only if law enforcement suspects one of criminal activities vs. big brother snooping activities that China uses it's technology for. Court Says Cops Can Track GPS Signal Data On Pay-As-You-Go Phones Without A Warrant

I think it's hilarious you would even compare US govt to China's proven usage of technology to track its citizens everyday.

http://www.defence.pk/forums/world-affairs/226856-china-toughens-its-restrictions-use-internet.html

The point is that governments everywhere already have the technology to track your every move. And they have used it whenever they want to. We're not much different from animals with RFID tags.

And oops, you're right, they changed the law this year to require a search warrant for GPS tracking.

Well if you are paranoid, then using a cell phone with a sim card that is associated with you would allow others to track you, not only government.
Beidou has the potential to track you even outside the cellular network coverage area like if you are out in the open in ocean or remote area.
It can also potentially save your life if you get lost in a remote area by letting the rescuer locate you.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom