What's new

China's COVID vaccines: Do the jabs do the job?

If those US vaccines don't even work well for their own population, don't get your hopes up for what they can do for others, US still suffers hundreds of deaths daily now and another new wave is picking up.

They have 300mil+ people. Adjusted for population, HK is having much more deaths than the US currently.

1672567079400-png.908802

1672567986827.png

But of course, China is doing the best. 1.4bil people (~200x of HK's population), barely 40% booster rate among >80 age group, but almost zero deaths...

_127845827_optimised-china_vax_80plus_bars-nc.png

1672568070873.png

They have 300mil+ people. Adjusted for population, HK is having much more deaths than the US currently.

But of course, China is doing the best. 1.4bil people (~200x of HK's population), barely 40% booster rate among >80 age group, but almost zero deaths...
Hong kong is a small city which is not a good sample pool, it's like using Haidian district in Beijing to talk about the situation in whole China, which is rather stupid. If western vaccines work that well how come now the hospitalization rate is still rising and hundreds still die daily in US?.
As for China's case, it's a tidal wave hit China so suddenly and swiftly only two weeks ago, and the government admitted at this moment it's very hard to get detailed data, It'll take some time for the data to be collected and analysed.

Covid deaths is like a ghost in China, everyone talks about it but no one personally knows anyone who died from it.

Last edited:
I have several relatives in Beijing who are over 85 years old, unfornately they were all being infected last month in December, but they all recovered in two weeks time very well, we all had 3 shots of sinovac vaccines a year ago. Nothing is more convincing than people's own personal experience.

If western vaccines work that well how come now the hospitalization rate is still rising and hundreds still die daily in US?.

Why do you have such binary thinking? The vaccines are not 100% effective, so it means it doesn't work well?

Vaccines are effective in reducing deaths, but different vaccines have different efficacy. A 0.1% difference in death rate in a country like China can mean an additional 1.4mil deaths.

As for China's case, it's a tidal wave hit China so suddenly and swiftly only two weeks ago, and the government admitted at this moment it's very hard to get detailed data, It'll take some time for the data to be collected and analysed.

Well, it seems like China has different classification all along and not recently. I always found it puzzling that China can report 90% asymptomatic rate and such low death rate during the Shanghai outbreak, but I still gave them the benefit of doubt. Seems like I was wrong to trust their figures.

Erm, I live in SG so I know more than you. Sinovac was all along available but the health authorities still strongly recommend mRNA. And the majority of the population also trust the health authorities, that's why uptake for Sinovac is only 2%.

And of that 2%, the majority are immigrants from China living in SG who prefer taking their own brand.

1669668853403-png.901202
lol, I know u trust the authority. But that's different from being able to think isn't it ? ie analyze what they say & why they say it, not just they say it therefore must be true.
Sheep also 'trust the authority'.

Well, it seems like China has different classification all along and not recently. I always found it puzzling that China can report 90% asymptomatic rate and such low death rate during the Shanghai outbreak, but I still gave them the benefit of doubt. Seems like I was wrong to trust their figures.
I have several relatives in Beijing who are over 85 years old, unfornately they were all being infected last month in December, but they all recovered in two weeks time very well, we all had 3 shots of sinovac vaccines a year ago. Nothing is more convincing than people's own personal experience.

I always found it puzzling that China can report 90% asymptomatic rate and such low death rate during the Shanghai outbreak, but I still gave them the benefit of doubt. Seems like I was wrong to trust their figures.
In summer it was true, but not now.

他透露,“很多医生和护士其实都已经有点肺炎了,哎呀,我感觉我们大家好像都被专家骗了,不是说90%无症状吗?”

接着他解释说,“其实并不是(被骗)啊,怎么说呢?六七月份夏天的时候,很多医生去支援定点方舱、定点医院,那时候的患者真的是很多都是无症状,真的是没有症状,很轻感觉,偶尔可能有些人会有嗓子疼。”

lol, I know u trust the authority. But that's different from being able to think isn't it ? ie analyze what they say & why they say it, not just they say it therefore must be true.
Sheep also 'trust the authority'.

LOL. I thought you were the one who said that we should trust the experts? Whatever floats your boat bro.

You really have a binary thinking huh?

1672506770965-png.908683

If you're triple vaccinated with Sinovac, the death rate of the >80 age group is 2.34%. 1.15% for Pfizer. Which means the vast majority of >80 age group won't die if you're triple vaccinated, Pfizer or Sinovac. Just that even a 1% difference is also quite big a difference.

If you want to say whether Sinovac is effective, then yes I agree, 14.39% to 2.34% is still a respectable 83.7% reduction in death rate. So get out there and convince more elderlies to get vaccinated/boosted if you still know any who aren't.

You really have a binary thinking huh?

If you're triple vaccinated with Sinovac, the death rate of the >80 age group is 2.34%. 1.15% for Pfizer. Which means the vast majority of >80 age group won't die if you're triple vaccinated, Pfizer or Sinovac.

If you want to whether say it's effective, then yes I agree, 14.39% to 2.34% is a 83.7% reduction in death rate. So get out there and convince more elderlies to get vaccinated/boosted if you still know any who aren't.
Your data is from a very tiny sample pool, which is ridiculous, Hong kong or Singapore's population is about Haidian district of Beijing, it's like using Haidian's data to generalize Beijing's or even the whole China's situation. I just had my own experience and I personally know no one developed any serious problems from covid, besides the hospitalization rate in US is rising, not falling , your tiny sample pool means nothing when it comes to big and diverse countries like China and US.

So get out there and convince more elderlies to get vaccinated/boosted if you still know any who aren't.
Everyone I know had already got it and recovered.

Your data is from a very tiny sample pool, which is ridiculous, Hong kong or Singapore's population is about Haidian district of Beijing, it's like using Haidian's data to generalize Beijing's or even the whole China's situation. I just had my own experience besides the hospitalization rate in US is rising, not falling , your tiny sample pool means nothing when it comes to countries like China and US.

Again I've cited multiple studies from many different sources. If you want to cope by brushing it off saying small sample size, then so be it. It's not like the ordinary Chinese have the choice to take mRNA either. It's the Chinese government decision to allow or not.

On US, come back again when China releases accurate data to compare.

1672571443517.png

Again I've cited multiple studies from many different sources. If you want to cope by brushing it off saying small sample size, then so be it. It's not like the ordinary Chinese have the choice to take mRNA either. It's the Chinese government decision to allow or not.

On US, come back again when China releases accurate data to compare.

View attachment 908817
Chinese vaccines are being used around the world, how many studies from how many countries you cited? you were just cherry picking a couple of those so called "studies" to suit your rhetoric, and how do you know they are not biased like almost all western "studies" about anything from China?
US vaccines don't protect US citizens well and their hospitalization rate is still climbing now, this a a hard fact, not from all those many self contraditing "studies". again, everyone I know got covid in a month, they all recovered, several my familiy members are over 85 years old, they also recovered in 2 weeks time and we all got 3 shots Sinovac vaccines about a year ago.

LOL. I thought you were the one who said that we should trust the experts? Whatever floats your boat bro.
ur experts, the health authority, has the mandate to get people to jab what is available, fast.
NUS-Duke experts mandate is just to study, research & present facts. Learn to think, instead of just post links & figures. lol

ur experts, the health authority, has the mandate to get people to jab what is available, fast.

Yes, thankfully only 2% got inoculated with Sinovac (and of which many are non-Singaporeans). Otherwise we could've ended like HK, poor economic and health outcomes. Worst of both worlds.

1669668853403-png.901202

Chinese vaccines are being used around the world, how many studies from how many countries you cited? you were just cherry picking a couple of those so called "studies" to suit your rhetoric

You are applying double standards yourself. You say the sample size is small in HK. Isn't the OP citing the same pool of data from HK to prove Sinovac's efficacy as well? So we can disregard this part of the article as well? Or should we cherry pick to suit your rhetoric?

Rumor #1: I've heard the Chinese vaccines don't work very well? Is that true?

"No, that's not true," says epidemiologist Ben Cowling at the University of Hong Kong. "Our research in Hong Kong has shown that's not true. I don't have a concern about the effectiveness of the Chinese vaccine."

The Chinese vaccines are not "mRNA vaccines," like the ones Pfizer and Moderna manufacture. Instead both CoronaVac and Sinopharm use an older, but well-proven, technology: they contain an inactivated – or killed – form of the SARS-CoV-2 virus.

But – and this is key – in a study by Cowling and his team, the Chinese vaccines offered just as much protection against severe disease as the mRNA vaccines for adults under age 60.

Last winter, Hong Kong suffered a massive omicron surge. And this outbreak allowed Cowling and his colleagues to test how well the Chinese vaccine CoronaVac fared compared to the Pfizer vaccine in a faced-to-face match. About half the population in Hong Kong had received CoronaVac and the other half had received the Pfizer vaccine. Altogether, more than 13 million doses had been administered to Hong Kong's 7.4-million people.

And guess what happened?

"We showed very clearly that both vaccines provide a high level of protection against severe COVID," Cowling says.

Last edited:
Yes, thankfully only 2% got inoculated with Sinovac. Otherwise we could've ended like HK, poor economic and health outcomes. Worst of both worlds.
lol, hard to get higher than 2% with low stock of Sinovac & when the shepherd was directing the sheep to mrna.

lol, hard to get higher than 2% with low stock of Sinovac & when the shepherd was directing the sheep to mrna.

Yeah sure, superior Sinovac is in such a huge demand that we can't even procure more than 2% of our population. :lol:

1672574013150.png

1672574050568.png

Back
Top Bottom