What's new

China's defense budget to grow 7.5% in 2010: spokesman

grey boy 2

Reaction score
Country
China
China's defense budget to grow 7.5% in 2010: spokesman - People's Daily Online

262b0be7a5d82e8924d762724d4f74aa.jpg

The news conference on the Third Session of the 11th National People's Congress (NPC) is held at the Great Hall of the People in Beijing, capital of China, March 4, 2010. (Xinhua/Xing Guangli)

China plans to increase its defense budget by 7.5 percent in 2010, a major slowdown compared to last year's growth of 14.9 percent, a parliament spokesman said in Beijing on Thursday.

The planned defense budget is 532.115 billion yuan (about 78 billion U.S. dollars), a rise of about 37 billion yuan from last year's defense expenditure, Li Zhaoxing, spokesman for the annual session of the National People's Congress (NPC), told a press conference.

It is the first time for China's defense budget growth rate to drop to less than 10 percent in recent years, after a row of consecutive double-digit increase.

It is very normal....

China's economy is growing in double digits. So two consecutive budget should be growing even if put into the same percentage of GDP. By this news, actually the defence allocation is reduced a little comparitively.

It is very normal....

China's economy is growing in double digits. So two consecutive budget should be growing even if put into the same percentage of GDP. By this news, actually the defence allocation is reduced a little comparitively.

reduced?

check today's news on our $130 billion USD investment on high speed rail in the next 36 months.

there are two points you should understand:

1. we Chinese don't play excuses/plans, when we say something, we do mean something. we never had significant delays for our project that concerns our national interests.

2. the high speed rail is never a pure civil project, it can be used to efficiently project our influence to south asia and deploy troops to our border when necessary.

now do you seriously believe we "reduce" the military spending?

Everyone knows china doesnt report is correct military spending.

Now China is increasing defense spending by 7.5% and no one complaining. I have no problems with it, but there are double standards.

reduced?

check today's news on our $130 billion USD investment on high speed rail in the next 36 months.

there are two points you should understand:

1. we Chinese don't play excuses/plans, when we say something, we do mean something. we never had significant delays for our project that concerns our national interests.

2. the high speed rail is never a pure civil project, it can be used to efficiently project our influence to south asia and deploy troops to our border when necessary.

now do you seriously believe we "reduce" the military spending?

I know you are not habitual to undertsand sane post. However I will give you a try.

For example China GDP is 100$ and it's defence budget is 3% of GDP therefore defence budget should be 3$.
Since Chinese economy is growing in double digit so let's take it 10 percent of growth rate.
Therefore in next year economy should be 110$. Even if the same 3% of GDP is allocated to defence, this time it should be
3% of 110$ = 3.3$ which is actually 10% more than ealier defence fund.

This is when no percentage change is done in defence budget. But as we see the growth rate is 7.5% rather than 10 therefore the defence percentage of GDP is actually lessened.

Hope you understand my point. Rest is your offtopic nonsense. :coffee:

Edit: After second thought, I guess this is not the actual figure. But this is not expected as well, from any govt to reveal true data about defense.

Last edited:
Now China is increasing defense spending by 7.5% and no one complaining. I have no problems with it, but there are double standards.

Every nation in the region is increasing defence budget whats the big deal

This time he forgot to add 'lol' at the end of his ranting statement. He always uses 'lol' as a punctuation mark, lol. Lol man.

I don't see how one line is a rant. Also my statement is true, China do not report there real military budget, it's a well known fact. google it.

xdrive, neither does the USA or many other countries. That's the ball park figure, if it's announced around 1.5% of GDP equivalent, then it's anywhere between 1.5% ~ 2%, which has been the case for china for years. One thing we know for sure is we are not spending 4% as the US does.

Back
Top Bottom