What's new

China’s past secret dealings and betrayal against VN + other allies

Vietnam is a pawn of the superpower game. That all there is to it. The Soviet and us know after the Korean War, the US would not allow Uncle Ho to take over the South Vietnam without a fight. To ensure the big power interests are respect, a deal is made. There is nothing behind it. It was known by Uncle Ho who disagreed with that deal. Go learn some history, my friend. LOL

It is nature of China policy. so why Kim Songil had said " Chima is turmcoat and our enemy".

North Korea: China is a ‘Turncoat and our Enemy’
North Korea has resumed openly criticizing Beijing, according to new reports.

zachary-keck_q-36x36.jpg

By Zachary Keck
March 25, 2014

thediplomat_2013-12-24_03-40-02.jpe

North Korea has hung signs denouncing China in one of its premier military academies, according to a report in a South Korean newspaper.

Chosun Ilbo, a conservative South Korean newspaper,reports that a sign in North Korea’s Kang Kon Military Academy states that China is a “turncoat and our enemy.” The newspaper bases the reports on “sources” without any further identification information. It quotes another source as saying: “”The position of the North Korean regime is to use China, but not trust it.”

The fact that the newspaper has not provided any further identification information about its sources have led some to criticize Chosun Ilbo and doubt the accuracy of the report. However, calling China a “turncoat and our enemy” would hardly be unprecedented for North Korea. Indeed, the phrase is a quote from Kim Il-Sung, the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea’s (DPRK) eternal president, who uttered it shortly after China established diplomatic relations with South Korea in 1992. After that, banners bearing the phrase were hung on the walls of the Kang Kon Military Academy for three years until 1995. The same banners were temporarily re-hung on the walls of the Kang Kon Military Academy after North Korea’s second nuclear test in 2009.

According to the Chosun Ilbo report, “North Korean leader Kim Jong-un ordered the signs displayed again at the academy after China joined UN Security Council sanctions last year over the North’s long-range missiles and third nuclear test.”

However, Ahn Chan-il, president of the World Institute for North Korea Studies, told NK News, a subscription service reporting on North Korea, that if the new reports are true, “a meeting of two presidents from South Korea and China has likely affected North Korea’s decision to hang the sign again.”

Ahn continued: “China has successfully adopted a market economy while maintaining its communist idea. But Pyongyang knows it will be impossible for North Korea to do same thing…. That’s why North Korea is afraid of China’s influence, and hanging the sign is one of its efforts to resist any kind of influence from China.”

This history does demonstrate that the often-depicted close relationship between North Korea and China is overly simplistic. During the Cold War, Pyongyang repeatedly played the Soviet Union off of China to preserve its foreign policy autonomy. Since the end of the Cold War, North Korea has become increasingly dependent on Beijing for its survival.

Nonetheless, it has often remained defiant against China, including by purging North Korean officials who advocate closer ties with China, such as Kim Jong-Un’s uncle Jang Song-Thaek.

North Korea: China is a ‘Turncoat and our Enemy’ | The Diplomat

It is nature of China policy. so why Kim Songil had said " Chima is turmcoat and our enemy".

North Korea: China is a ‘Turncoat and our Enemy’
North Korea has resumed openly criticizing Beijing, according to new reports.

What a fiction new written by a kid, you really think that China will be fallen into this kind of Child play trap??? :rofl::rofl:Unless Kim come to public and said that...nowadays people can write any bullshi1 they want and spread a false new in internet.

Buddy, I live in the real world. I have a full time job, A game on steam I want to play, a girl who I have to write a letter back to, a dog to walk...

I am not a prolific poster nor am I a respectable Chinese member here but for some reason you have set your fury on me and at the same time refuse to post!

I'm off to bed.

I’m not a respectable Viet member either, nor a prolific poster. If you look at my post count, you can see I don’t have much free time to always post on PDF. So I can only post slowly in this thread, when I have free time.

I’m not setting my fury on you. I’ve already explained why this thread was created, its a response to your post from that other thread. I’m not forcing you to participate here either, you are free to ignore this thread. But I’ll still carry on posting here as planned, because you were not the only Chinese member who made those type of posts, plenty of other Chinese members do it too, so I’m not singling you out.

You don't need permission to open threads. o_O

OK thanks. I’m just making sure!

To ensure the big power interests are respect, a deal is made. There is nothing behind it. It was known by Uncle Ho who disagreed with that deal. Go learn some history, my friend. LOL

Most Vietnamese are know very well about the deal made by China+Soviet+US and how North Vietnamese leaders were upset about it and felt betrayed. You do not need to tell us to learn that history.

But thanks for raising your point, I will get back at it later on.

Vietnam is a pawn of the superpower game. That all there is to it. The Soviet and us know after the Korean War, the US would not allow Uncle Ho to take over the South Vietnam without a fight. To ensure the big power interests are respect, a deal is made. There is nothing behind it. It was known by Uncle Ho who disagreed with that deal. Go learn some history, my friend. LOL
Yes Vietnam as too China was pawns, the Yalta Conference for instance.
Some Chinese members are ignorant of history. They look down on Vietnam because its a poor country, but they need to be reminded that Vietnam was economically contained by embargo only ending in 1995. Some Vietnamese know the real reason why China went to war with Vietnam - ultimately I don't care. But some member saying that Vietnam is race traitor and ungrateful are very wrong.

@BoQ77 Since you are from Vietnam I wish to ask you a question; Had Vietnam ever repay the aid received from China?

Let me interrupt, because it relates to my topic as well.

Your question may sound legitimate, but it is still an incomplete/meaningless question until you expand on the word “repay” which you used in that question. When you mention “repay”, you must also have a value of that repayment in mind, what is the value of this repayment that needs to be paid back? what type of repayment Vietnam supposedly need to “pay” back China?...and most importantly, how did you calculate this value? Basically, if you ask for a “repayment”, you need to issue an invoice to the person you are demanding it from. And like all invoices, what is important is the value that is asked for and how that value was calculated. So, your question about a “repayment” is incomplete/meaningless until you can show your detailed “invoice”.

This leads to another point, this “repayment” you were talking about cannot be referred to in legal terms, but can only be referred to in terms of something that relates more to ethics/morality obligation. I am under no legal obligation to give my extra sandwich to a starving street kid sitting next to me, but some say I have a moral obligation to do so. Or more related to your question, a person in front of me could be entering through a door and decides to pause and hold the door for me. I will have no legal obligation to pay anything back to him, but most would say I owed him at least a “thank you”.

This applies to your question because there is no legally binding agreement that currently exist where Vietnam is obliged to “repay” anything back to China. So you cannot talk about the notion of “repayment” in terms of law, you can only talk about it in terms of ethics/moral obligation like in the case of the guy holding the door. But even in terms of ethics/moral obligation, you would still need to show your calculation of how have came up with that repayment value/moral obligation, you need to show the “invoice” I mentioned.

An “invoice” calculated in reference to ethics/morality is even harder to come up with than a legal invoice. What if the guy holding the door was a neo-nazi with ill-intentions against me but was just holding the door purely for his grandmother who was walking behind me? do I still morally owe him a “thank you”? This is just a simple example, the VN-CN issue is much more complicated. There are much more factors that you need to take into consideration when you calculate your “invoice”. Vietnam suffered damage in the 1979 VN-China war, who was right and who was wrong? does the damage offset what VN morally “owes” to China? China negotiated with the US during the VN-US war contrary to Vietnam’s interest, so how would this affect your moral repayment calculation? various Viet dynasties paid tributes to China right up to the period France colonized VN, which some argued that China had the obligation to protect VN but failed to do. So how would this also affect your calculation of the repayment to China for “helping VN get rid of a western colonizer”? There are much more factors that need to be taken into consideration when calculating your “invoice” that is based on morality rather than on law. It may turned out that VN still does owe China something, it may turned out that VN owes nothing, or it may even turn out that China owes VN. Who knows, I’ve never seen such calculation made before.

So in short (if you dont want to read the above), you talked about a repayment that Vietnam needs to pay China but this can only be talked about not in legal terms but in terms of ethics/moral obligations. And more importantly, you need to show your calculation how you came up with your conclusion that there is a “repayment” that VN owed and the value of this repayment. Since you have mentioned this repayment, can you kindly show us your calcuation for it? Please show the invoice and how you calculated it. I am actually interested to look at your calculation since many Chinese also claim similar things but I’ve never seen a proper figure and its calculation before. I hope Chinese members like +4vsgorillas-Apebane can help you out since they have the habit of talkimg about Chinese help and ingratitute which hints that they also think people owed China something.

And my last point: this relates to my topic in the sense that “betrayal” or “turning ones back” similarly can only be talked about in terms of ethics/morality and not in terms of law (because there were hardly any formal treaty/legally binding agreements made between VN-CN). This also means that Chinese members would also need to explain their moral calculus in coming to the conclusion that VN betrayed or turned its back against China and all the various factors that they have considered in their moral calculus. Chinese members seem to be ignorant of this concept because they never seem to be able to present their calculus other than the primitive and unsophisticated ideas like China sent xyz weapons and trained some Viets in year 1234 therefore VN still now owes China, while ignoring the other important factors. I will also need to talk in reference to ethics/morality too and will slowly make my posts on it.

So in short (if you dont want to read the above), you talked about a repayment that Vietnam needs to pay China but this can only be talked about not in legal terms but in terms of ethics/moral obligations. And more importantly, you need to show your calculation how you came up with your conclusion that there is a “repayment” that VN owed and the value of this repayment. Since you have mentioned this repayment, can you kindly show us your calcuation for it? ......

And my last point: this relates to my topic in the sense that “betrayal” or “turning ones back” similarly can only be talked about in terms of ethics/morality and not in terms of law (because there were hardly any formal treaty/legally binding agreements made between VN-CN). This also means that Chinese members would also need to explain their moral calculus in coming to the conclusion that VN betrayed or turned its back against China and all the various factors that they have considered in their moral calculus. Chinese members seem to be ignorant of this concept because they never seem to be able to present their calculus other than the primitive and unsophisticated ideas like China sent xyz weapons and trained some Viets in year 1234 therefore VN still now owes China, while ignoring the other important factors. I will also need to talk in reference to ethics/morality too and will slowly make my posts on it.

Okay the question of repayment was surmised reaction to Vietnam's Soviet-era dept.
Sino-Soviet split needs to be understood as it preceded and contributed to the Sino-Viet split.
I further add that during the Korean war, aid to N Korea from both the Soviet's and China, was to be repaid (later both countries strategically erased this dept for influence within N Korea). Post Korea China found itself in further dept which crippled it's economy for years buying weapons from the Soviet's.
Contradicting the promoted ethos - communist spirit of helping one another, China's Mao disappointed, commented "Soviets seem more like arms merchants". Mao was also disappointed with the way China was treated like a junior in the communist alliance having its war plans pass through the Kremlin.

This definitely echoed China's behavior toward Vietnam during Vietnam war with conditional aid and planning having to pass China's command - this was why I automatically suggest that there was a 'repayment'.

Most Vietnamese are know very well about the deal made by China+Soviet+US and how North Vietnamese leaders were upset about it and felt betrayed. You do not need to tell us to learn that history.

But thanks for raising your point, I will get back at it later on.
UPSET for what? You do realize that the US is a nuclear power? Think of it for a second if you are in our shoes. We just fought hard in the Korean War and you wanted us to support your invasion of the South and force a direct confrontation with the US's nuclear power? What funny is why are you upsetting of our betrayal but NOT the Soviet? It wasn't as if it's a secret deal between China-US. The Soviet was heavily involved and agreed with us to make a deal at the 38th parallel.

Yes Vietnam as too China was pawns, the Yalta Conference for instance.
Some Chinese members are ignorant of history. They look down on Vietnam because its a poor country, but they need to be reminded that Vietnam was economically contained by embargo only ending in 1995. Some Vietnamese know the real reason why China went to war with Vietnam - ultimately I don't care. But some member saying that Vietnam is race traitor and ungrateful are very wrong.
The Chinese looks down on you because you bite the hand that feed you. Let remember, we don't have to support you whatsoever in the Vietnam War. Absolutely none! You haven't' done jack shit or aid us in any of our conflicts.

UPSET for what? You do realize that the US is a nuclear power? Think of it for a second if you are in our shoes. We just fought hard in the Korean War and you wanted us to support your invasion of the South and force a direct confrontation with the US's nuclear power? What funny is why are you upsetting of our betrayal but NOT the Soviet? It wasn't as if it's a secret deal between China-US. The Soviet was heavily involved and agreed with us to make a deal at the 38th parallel.
The Stalin had authority even to Mao, I agree Stalin was scared of US nukes, at the time US was the one true power. Even so the US also fought hard in Korea invasion of the South was a good opportune time, the US would never have had public support even financial support would be questioned (this is in retrospect) Why don't we blame the Soviets? Hmmm??? It may be that China is not the only strategic culture in Asia! No one knows China better than Vietnam that includes Korea and Japan!

The Chinese looks down on you because you bite the hand that feed you. Let remember, we don't have to support you whatsoever in the Vietnam War. Absolutely none! You haven't' done jack shit or aid us in any of our conflicts.
Bite the hand that feeds you, ingratitude, these are common familiar words used against Vietnamese. Anyone know the origin of these phrases? Maybe we can explore 'Four modernization' and 'Horizontal Strategy' and see who bites the hand that feeds them.

Vice President Walter Modale

"Relaxed restrictions on US exports; Two billion government loan; $1Billion ore-processing complex; Export licenses; Electron high-energy accelerator"
Such generosity to whom was received?

Deng Xiaoping
"The West would provide money and equipment for a powerful China to deter Soviet revisionism"

Tell what reason does the US, Japan curry favour in Vietnam? Is it to do with China's security strategy? What would happen if the US took control of all Vietnam? If Vietnam took control of all Indo-China under Soviet control. You had every reason to aid in guise of generosity, but it's okay with me, because I'm pro China, I like Xi Jinping, just hubris is unbearable.

How could a giver betray a beggar? I wonder

China said there is voluntary proletariat help to counter "paper tiger" USA in cold war. Apply your logic China is beggar before USSR stalin 1950 and USA Nixon, Carter in 1972, 1979.

China said there is voluntary proletariat help to counter "paper tiger" USA in cold war. Apply your logic China is beggar before USSR stalin 1950 and USA Nixon, Carter in 1972, 1979.
We never said USSR or USA betrayed us. Right?

We never said USSR or USA betrayed us. Right?

Sure, they didn't betrayed China, but China betrayed them.

China attacked USSR 1969, and now China is angry when USA administration's pivot to Asia. China betrayed both of them. Right ?

Sure, they didn't betrayed China, but China betrayed them.

China attacked USSR 1969, and now China is angry when USA administration's pivot to Asia. China betrayed both of them. Right ?
China didn't betray USSR and USA either. China sacrificed thousands lives in Korea War in behalf of USSR. And China helped US to win the cold war against USSR. What did Vietnam do as a return for China's help?

lol why are you asking me those questions? I didn’t said I was upset, I was referring to the north Vietnamese leaders being upset. And yes, China had her own interests and has the right to persue her own interests with respect to the Soviet+US+China geopolitical dynamics. But I must mention that China too had ill-intentions against Vietnam regardless of the Soviet-US dynamic:

Following a Party congress in December, it was announced that reunification would be completed by April 30, 1976...China refrained from sending any personal greetings and Peking would certainly have preferred Vietnam to remain divided and thus relatively weak.

...The Chinese reaction betrayed Peking’s long-standing fear that Vietnam should emerge as a powerful state threatening Chinese power and influence in the region. It had not escaped Hanoi’s notice that Peking had sought for several years to jeopardize Vietnamese chances for rapid reunification in the hope that it might delay or halt the strengthening of its southern neighbor.
Source: Cécile Menétrey-Monchau.
American-Vietnamese Relations in the Wake of War: Diplomacy After the Capture of Saigon. (pg. 52-53)

What I quoted is just common knowledge in Vietnam. China had wanted Vietnam to be just strong enough to exist as a buffer state between the US-allied South VN and the Chinese boarder, but want Vietnam to remain divided and weak.

I think your own fellow Chinese countrymen (Kiss of Dragon) summarized it best from his Chinese perspective: that Vietnam is just something to be used and then to be disposed of when it can no longer serve any purpose. I would say that is a very honest and Chinese perspective.

Was it really a case of VN biting the hands that feed it or was it a case of China being a “turncoat” so Vietnam reacted accordingly? or worse, was it a case of Vietnam seeing through China’s ill-intentions against VN from the beginning and reacted accordingly?

Of course I can’t draw any conclusion yet about China with only that one source, I would need to provide more. So please give me some time to post those up.

Okay the question of repayment was surmised reaction to Vietnam's Soviet-era dept.
Sino-Soviet split needs to be understood as it preceded and contributed to the Sino-Viet split.
I further add that during the Korean war, aid to N Korea from both the Soviet's and China, was to be repaid (later both countries strategically erased this dept for influence within N Korea). Post Korea China found itself in further dept which crippled it's economy for years buying weapons from the Soviet's.
Contradicting the promoted ethos - communist spirit of helping one another, China's Mao disappointed, commented "Soviets seem more like arms merchants". Mao was also disappointed with the way China was treated like a junior in the communist alliance having its war plans pass through the Kremlin.

This definitely echoed China's behavior toward Vietnam during Vietnam war with conditional aid and planning having to pass China's command - this was why I automatically suggest that there was a 'repayment'.

The Viet-Soviet-Russia case is different. Russia/Soviet can legally ask VN for repayments since VN legally owes the Soviet/Russia. It’s because both parties have signed legally binding agreements for loans and credits, even from the 1960s, with stipulations that VN needs to pay them back. And they were still legally binding even after the Soviet had collapsed. This was what Russia had asked for and they were legally entitled to do so.

That was not the case for VN-China. I guess we can attribute this to the European social ethos (which I would include Soviet Russia just only for this specific case) where it was primarily based on Social contract with an emphasis on things getting agreed to and signed with ink on paper. You probably already know about the alternative Confucian ethos, with its emphasis on the virtues whereby a good man is expected to have the moral sense to perceive what is wrong and right and how to behave accordingly during social interactions in accordance to confucian moral norms, so less emphasis on the “ink on paper” contracts were needed. I think you can see this kind of ethos in daily encounters, a little gesture here and there, without any written or verbal contractual agreements, but it is still expected that you will perceive the meanings and significance behind those gestures and respond in accordance to moral norms. This is offtopic and belongs to another thread, but my point is that the Chinese cannot talk about repayments, betrayal, etc. in legal terms like how the Russian could (the Russian can do this with VN just by showing the signed legal documents). I can end this thread easily just by looking at it from a legal perspective: there are no existing legal documents to show that VN owes China or who betrayed who, and vice versa. Case closed.

However, many Chinese members still talk about repayments, betrayal, deeds and ingratitude in reference to the VN-CN relation, then it means that they were talking in terms of morality and not on law. I will also write from this moral perspective. So even though there are no legal documents to show that VN owes or had betrayed China, they can argue that VN still owed something from the moral perspective.

The difference between the legal and moral approach is that morality can be (and often is) independent from legal contracts. If I’ve made a legally binding agreement to transfer to you my house, I am legally binded by it regardless of your later immoral conducts like stealing my girlfriend and eating my dog, as long as those actions were not mentioned in the contract. In the moral approach, all moral/immoral actions need to be taken into account, they are all interdependent. So sure, I could give you a house without any legal conditions and from the moral perspective, you would owe me something in return, like favors, friendship, etc. However, unlike the legal approach, my other immoral actions will affect this dynamic. If I steal your girlfriend, eat your dog, beat up your parents and burn down your other 2 houses, then my previous gesture would be now meaningless. You would no longer owe me things like favors or friendship. I am not saying China had done these things, just pointing out the differences between the legal and moral approach.

And many Chinese members here often use the moral approach but only cherry pick a certain gesture and actions their country have made in the past and interpret it in a way to paint their country as the saint, the helper, while ignoring their other actions. I want to approach this by looking at the VN-CN relation more holistically by examining other Chinese actions and looking at other interpretations.

Last edited:
Was going to post in detailed about this but running out of time so will just post some pictures for now.

1972 and the US-VN war was still waging on. It was a particularly harsh year for Vietnamese in North Vietnam because they were on the receiving end of the “Christmas bombing” in December, and it turned out to be one of the fiercest bombings in that war.

4-7-67,+hiding+in+manholes+during+bombing.jpg

kham%2Bthien%2Bstreetx.jpg

HanoiAfterChristmasBombing.jpg

Hanoi1972Bombing.jpg

BachMaiHospital.jpg

Back
Top Bottom