What's new

Chinese hypersonic research

Do you believe this news is true?

• Yes.

Votes: 24 85.7%
  • No.

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Well ,There is such a project, but the speed performance is hardly faster than SR-71.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Ahhh ... sorry, You already mentioned it, but with SA-2S I wasn't able to work !
Mr @Deino had seen it ... since last N.o2016 satellite map in the J-20 thread, u ever asked what's the smaller one near GJ-1 Wing Loong UAV ... a hypersonic aircraft.
upload_2015-9-16_16-19-49-png.257290

Could be the Shenlong Orbital Vehicle,similar to the X37B
214749k9o9fcfnc7omxhhf.jpg.thumb.jpg

231429yxjj6kj2koryorok.jpg.thumb.jpg

Or chinese Aurora spy plane
223246q6hxcz16uxutg6gt.jpg
021523x5im5dr5mtnh3i55.jpg.thumb.jpg

Last edited:
took off and faded into the sky a few days ago:

试飞中心某型机首次试飞圆满成功_中航工业_航空工业频道_新闻中心_中国航空新闻网_航空行业第一新闻门户_CANNEWS

The dark-coloured plane showed up again and made a perfect landing hours after take-off。

The report says that it was the first flight by the plane at an undisclosed flight test centre。

An unmanned hypersonic plane?

I dunno what the fcuk is that, yet, but everything so far strike me as kinda of world-leading high tech! :woot: :dance3:

How reliable is the report?

Also, if it were true, wouldn't it have been noticed by someone? Usually all HGV tests are confirmed by the Washington Free Beacon.

I have no doubt China would be working on such things, but I don't think they are at the stage when they can test such things. China has barely begun to produce jet engines right now.

Also, if it were true, wouldn't it have been noticed by someone? Usually all HGV tests are confirmed by the Washington Free Beacon.

I have no doubt China would be working on such things, but I don't think they are at the stage when they can test such things. China has barely begun to produce jet engines right now.
It seems to be quite reliable. The news firstly came from an official report we called 八股文(official news with certain rigid and boring forms and ambiguous rhetoric that ordinary media would never use) and it is reported by several credible public medias by now, otherwise we would not take it seriously. The news said that this aircraft is using some kind of new generation engine which is very different from current turbofan jet engine in theory and engineering, but we don't know exactly what it is for now.

Also, if you can read chinese, you may tell the difference from CCP official news and public media news, it's very very boring but much much more informative if you knew what it really says.

It seems to be quite reliable. The news firstly came from an official report we called 八股文(official news with certain rigid and boring forms and ambiguous rhetoric that ordinary media would never use) and it is reported by several credible public medias by now, otherwise we would not take it seriously. The news said that this aircraft is using some kind of new generation engine which is very different from current turbofan jet engine in theory and engineering, but we don't know exactly what it is for now.

Also, if you can read chinese, you may tell the difference from CCP official news and public media news, it's very very boring but much much more informative if you knew what it really says.

May be they have just put two solid fuel rockets on a plane? :p:

May be they have just put two solid fuel rockets on a plane? :p:
Unlikely. I have read some disguss about the detail of this plane on chinese forums, engines involved, but I can't translate it into english because too much jargons that I don't understand, but I can tell it is not a rocket engine.

I have read the original news again and found sth intriguing. It is said that this plane has unprecedented airframe, unprecedented flight mode, and matchs unprecedented altitude and speed, to fulfill unique mission, I'm really curious about what exactly it is.

This is it
Next Big Future: Reports of improved jet engines in China and development for a mach 5 test plane faster than the SR71 Blackbird
An Aug. 25 report in Beijing-based newspaper China Aviation News praised the engine division of Xi'an-based aeronautic and aerospace firm AVIC Qingan Group. The report mentions a planned project which would see the development of China's first domestically-made turbofan-ramjet combined cycle engine, designed for an unnamed aircraft. The description of this engine suggests something resembling the Pratt and Whitney J58 variable cycle engine used by the SR-71 Blackbird.

A source close to the PLA Air Force was cited by New Outlook as stating that this is part of a project to develop a manned supersonic aircraft, currently in the preparation stages at a domestic research institute. The aircraft is expected to have a top speed faster than the Blackbird on completion, according to the source, although the project is yet to be formally launched.

The China Aviation News report stated that in the first half of 2015, the engine division of AVIC Qingan Group finished the design process for three engine products and gained approval for them in May and July.

The article went on to list descriptions of the three engines as China's first domestically developed turbofan-ramjet combined cycle engine designed for an unnamed aircraft, a classic model engine and a classic model engine with a medium bypass ratio. This suggests the latter two are improved versions of the WS-10 and WS-18 turbofan engines.

The turbofan-ramjet combined cycle engine project, however, has never before been made public. The article stated that there is no precedent for the project and that China currently has no suitable heat-resistant materials for the project and therefore will have to contract overseas suppliers, adding that without the appropriate tools, they will have to go about making them from scratch.

A PLA Air Force source told New Outlook that the aircraft that will use this engine has been in experimental development for several years by an aircraft institute in the southwest. The aim of the project is to surpass the SR-71 Blackbird with a plane that can reach speeds of almost five-times the speed of sound, which is the upper limit of a ramjet engine. For higher speeds, a supersonic combusting ramjet (scramjet) engine is necessary. The aircraft is said to be a large manned plane, with a similar design to Mikoyan's mysterious Project 301 hypersonic aircraft.

This is it
Next Big Future: Reports of improved jet engines in China and development for a mach 5 test plane faster than the SR71 Blackbird
An Aug. 25 report in Beijing-based newspaper China Aviation News praised the engine division of Xi'an-based aeronautic and aerospace firm AVIC Qingan Group. The report mentions a planned project which would see the development of China's first domestically-made turbofan-ramjet combined cycle engine, designed for an unnamed aircraft. The description of this engine suggests something resembling the Pratt and Whitney J58 variable cycle engine used by the SR-71 Blackbird.

A source close to the PLA Air Force was cited by New Outlook as stating that this is part of a project to develop a manned supersonic aircraft, currently in the preparation stages at a domestic research institute. The aircraft is expected to have a top speed faster than the Blackbird on completion, according to the source, although the project is yet to be formally launched.

The China Aviation News report stated that in the first half of 2015, the engine division of AVIC Qingan Group finished the design process for three engine products and gained approval for them in May and July.

The article went on to list descriptions of the three engines as China's first domestically developed turbofan-ramjet combined cycle engine designed for an unnamed aircraft, a classic model engine and a classic model engine with a medium bypass ratio. This suggests the latter two are improved versions of the WS-10 and WS-18 turbofan engines.

The turbofan-ramjet combined cycle engine project, however, has never before been made public. The article stated that there is no precedent for the project and that China currently has no suitable heat-resistant materials for the project and therefore will have to contract overseas suppliers, adding that without the appropriate tools, they will have to go about making them from scratch.

A PLA Air Force source told New Outlook that the aircraft that will use this engine has been in experimental development for several years by an aircraft institute in the southwest. The aim of the project is to surpass the SR-71 Blackbird with a plane that can reach speeds of almost five-times the speed of sound, which is the upper limit of a ramjet engine. For higher speeds, a supersonic combusting ramjet (scramjet) engine is necessary. The aircraft is said to be a large manned plane, with a similar design to Mikoyan's mysterious Project 301 hypersonic aircraft.

The aircraft is said to be a large manned plane ? 5M ? :woot:

Unlikely. I have read some disguss about the detail of this plane on chinese forums, engines involved, but I can't translate it into english because too much jargons that I don't understand, but I can tell it is not a rocket engine.

I have read the original news again and found sth intriguing. It is said that this plane has unprecedented airframe, unprecedented flight mode, and matchs unprecedented altitude and speed, to fulfill unique mission, I'm really curious about what exactly it is.

It's a variable-cycle engine:

093930b1h3qflssii6assf.jpg.thumb.jpg

The aircraft is said to be a large manned plane ? 5M ? :woot:
that where i'm getting confused, according to the original chinese report, it's seems an unmanned aircraft, although they did not say that explicitly. maybe it will be further upgrade to an manned plane as the article above said??
A source close to the PLA Air Force was cited by New Outlook as stating that this is part of a project to develop a manned supersonic aircraft,

i'm impressed by the 八股文 writer's ability of constructing a thousand words report without actually revealing anything. it basically goes like X plane developed by X institute made a successful test in X place on X time...LOL....

Last edited:
Mr @Deino had seen it ... since last N.o2016 satellite map in the J-20 thread, u ever asked what's the smaller one near GJ-1 Wing Loong UAV ... a hypersonic aircraft.
upload_2015-9-16_16-19-49-png.257290

So your hypersonic manned plane is smaller than a J20? Also the top view of the plane looks very different from the images shared of the suppossed SR 71 successor.

Back
Top Bottom