What's new

Chinese naval force may have deterred Indian invasion of Maldives

After reading through this entire thread, I ran into this from a Russian site:
https://sputniknews.com/asia/201803071062310153-india-china-indian-ocean/

India's tri-service war games in the Indian Ocean coincided with a Constitutional crisis in the strategically located island nation Maldives. It was apparently this exercise that forced China to abort a naval mission reportedly aimed at containing New Delhi's influence over the troubled country.

New Delhi (Sputnik) — In a first of its kind, India recently conducted a massive exercise in the Indian Ocean involving its army, navy, air force and coast guards. The extensive exercise saw the participation of all operational ships, submarines and aircraft of the Indian Navy, along with men and equipment of the Indian Army, all types of aircraft of the Indian Air Force and ships and aircraft of the Indian Coast Guard. The Indian defense ministry claimed that the war games were aimed at threat perceptions of a two-front war, i.e. simultaneous combat with China and Pakistan.

READ MORE: Maldives Declines Indian Invite for Joint Exercise, Analysts Cite China as Cause

"The war games conducted on both the seaboards of India extended from the Northern Arabian Sea off the coast of Gujarat to the Southern Indian Ocean off the Sunda Straits near Indonesia," the defense ministry said about the exercise which concluded on 28 February.

Around the same time, Chinese news portal Sina.com.cn had reported that a fleet of destroyers, at least one frigate, a 30,000-tonne amphibious transport dock and three support tankers entered the Indian Ocean. Though the report did not mention any specific reason for the deployment, it was widely construed as an attempt by China to exert its influence over Maldives — the strategically located chain of islands in the Indian Ocean Region (IOR).

It was later reported that the Chinese warships turned around and returned to the South China Sea through the Lombok Strait. The four straits of Malacca, Sunda, Lombok and Ombai Wetar are used by China's People's Liberation Army (Navy) to cross between their bases in the South China Sea and the Indian Ocean.

1035018748.jpg

© AFP 2018/ STR
China Unlikely to Match India Strength in Indian Ocean in Near Future - Analysts
The Indian defense ministry hinted that the Chinese warships that were believed to be destined to linger off the Maldives, made a U-turn after they encountered the mission-ready ships of the Indian Navy that were then engaged in the war games.

"Mission-ready ships are now forward deployed in critical areas of the IOR with the inherent capability to respond to emerging threats and benign situations. The Navy has already reaped rich dividends from this concept," defense ministry exulted.

The Indian Navy adopted the "mission-based deployment" concept last year in July to maintain its dominance in the IOR. The exercise was mainly a review of his concept. The Indian Navy further revealed that it has "cut the flab" in the various exercises undertaken at sea.

"Greater focus has been accorded to conflict readiness across the spectrum, as well as realistic scenarios likely to be faced at sea," the defense ministry revealed.

It said that the focus has been on realistic scenarios likely to manifest in the future, including terrorist attacks from the sea on critical infrastructure and populated areas, defense of offshore oil resources of the country and protection of India's significant seaborne trade.
Anal-lyst is "Gurpreet Khurana"?
Enough said. It's self explanatory.

Anal-lyst is "Gurpreet Khurana"?
Enough said. It's self explanatory.
The article was not written by him..even if it was, this guy writes for Washington Post and other publications and is a retired Navy Captain..and no - is not a part of CPC..sorry about your luck

The article was not written by him..even if it was, this guy writes for Washington Post and other publications and is a retired Navy Captain..and no - is not a part of CPC..sorry about your luck
I would trust CPC any day than any Indian anal-lyser.
Did you read your post? I didn't say he wrote it but It clearly says "Gurpreet Khurana" told Sputnik.

I would trust CPC any day than any Indian anal-lyser.
Did you read your post? I didn't say he wrote it but It clearly says "Gurpreet Khurana" told Sputnik.
So is the Chinese Navy there now? No. Why not?
I rest my case.

Hey dumbass. We are discussing about something else. Wtf you rest your case for, moron?
The title of the thread, is "Chinese Naval Force may have deterred Indian Invasion of Maldives " - dumbass!
This is what happens when a brainwashed Chinese twerp babbles

The title of the thread, is "Chinese Naval Force may have deterred Indian Invasion of Maldives " - dumbass!
This is what happens when a brainwashed Chinese twerp babbles
I was discussing something with you. Dumbass. Did I ever mention even once that the Chinese Navy is still around? All I ever said was this was the analysis by an Indian. Dumbass...
This is what happens when you worship penises.

@TexasJohn Btw, for an American you seem to be very interested in Indian and Pakistan affairs. I wonder why.

I was discussing something with you. Dumbass. Did I ever mention even once that the Chinese Navy is still around? All I ever said was this was the analysis by an Indian. Dumbass...
This is what happens when you worship penises.

@TexasJohn Btw, for an American you seem to be very interested in Indian and Pakistan affairs. I wonder why.
Because years ago as a kid my family lived there...we also take a keen interest in the South China sea, someplace I have never seen, nor care to.
It is obvious your parents raised a disrespectful thug. No point in any further discussion with you kid.

Someday when you have kids ( if you do) maybe they won't talk to you like that. Karma is a bitch

Maldives lifts state of emergency, defusing China-India tensions

Politically turbulent island nation became a regional sea power flashpoint

YUJI KURONUMA, Nikkei staff writer..

NEW DELHI -- The Maldives' president has lifted a 45-day-long state of emergency that had raised the threat of maritime clash between China and India over the tiny island nation.

President Abdulla Yameen ended the state of emergency Thursday "in an effort to promote normalcy," according to a statement from the president's office, "though there still exists a diminished threat to national security."

Yameen imposed the state of emergency Feb. 5 after the country's Supreme Court ordered the release of jailed opposition lawmakers. The Yameen government nullified the court's decision and had two justices arrested, saying they had conspired to overthrow the government.

Yameen said the situation posed an imminent threat to national security. On Feb. 20, the original 15-day order declared by presidential decree was extended another 30 days by the Maldives parliament.

Pressure from India and the U.S. seems partly responsible for bringing the state of emergency to an end. Calling the situation unconstitutional, ex-President Mohamed Nasheed, in exile and facing terrorism-related charges, called on India to send its military and a special envoy to free the political detainees. In response, India beefed up patrols in the Indian Ocean around the island nation.

According to Indian government sources, China sent several vessels, including missile destroyers, near the Maldives, apparently in response to a Maldivian envoy's visit to Beijing on Feb. 7. Yameen has counted on China for support, including investment, which has proven controversial.

But around Feb. 22, when these ships were around 30 nautical miles from India's vessels, the Indian Navy threatened action -- a warning shot and "war drill" -- if they were to come within 20 nautical miles. The Chinese fleet retreated to the southeast, stopping in waters 276 nautical miles from the Maldivian capital of Male.

India worked with the U.S. to bring the state of emergency to a swift end. In the event of a clash between China and India, the U.S. Navy is positioned to collaborate with their Indian counterparts by sending ships from Diego Garcia, a British-controlled island south of the Maldives. Australian naval vessels were also stationed around 380 nautical miles from Male in the Indian Ocean, according to the sources.

Australia, India, Japan and the U.S. agreed last November to team up on security under their so-called Indo-Pacific strategy. When February's standoff began, the partners had not even begun discussing the specifics of that framework.

Diminished prospects for Chinese military support may have led Yameen to scrap the state of emergency. Tensions between China and India over the island nation of 400,000 people look likely to abate for now, though both navies were maintaining the positions of their warships in the Indian Ocean as of March 22.

Around 400 people, including opposition politicians, activists and journalists, were arrested during the state of emergency, according to the leading opposition Maldivian Democratic Party. Independent news broadcaster Raajje TV went off the air on Feb. 8, citing "the curtailing of the right to free media," after which three of its journalists were arrested.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Politics-Ec...mergency-defusing-China-India-tensions?page=1

Because years ago as a kid my family lived there...we also take a keen interest in the South China sea, someplace I have never seen, nor care to.
It is obvious your parents raised a disrespectful thug. No point in any further discussion with you kid.

Someday when you have kids ( if you do) maybe they won't talk to you like that. Karma is a bitch
Mr. TexasJohn. Is this nice enough? Do not... I repeat.... Do not judge a person on the internet. You will be surprised. My life doesn't revolve around the internet. Let's get that clear. I come here mainly to get myself updated and not to get judged by people like yourself. You have never met me and perhaps never will and you do not reserve the right to judge me by my posts in here.
I will just end it here as I don't see any reason to carry on and I hope I have made myself clear to you.
So... Good day to you.

Mr. TexasJohn. Is this nice enough? Do not... I repeat.... Do not judge a person on the internet. You will be surprised. My life doesn't revolve around the internet. Let's get that clear. I come here mainly to get myself updated and not to get judged by people like yourself. You have never met me and perhaps never will and you do not reserve the right to judge me by my posts in here.
I will just end it here as I don't see any reason to carry on and I hope I have made myself clear to you.
So... Good day to you.
I agree - we have never met and probably never will. My life does not revolve around the internet either. I have been on this forum, since 2006. Many of those I know have left, some dear friends have passed on and most of them were military veterans. On this forum we can agree, disagree or agree to disagree. We never resorted to name calling. We would never stoop that low. The veterans here remember names like MuradK etc. who were true Officers and gentlemen.

On that note all I can say is " have good day" - tomorrow is never guaranteed.

Back
Top Bottom