What's new

Chittagong vs Kolkata

Both are major port cities in South Asia with good contribution to their national economies.

Chittagong has a rich history, being the economic center of Bengal for centuries. The harbor of Chittagong was well known to the Europeans and was mentioned as one of the finest harbors in the East by Ptolemy . In the 16th century, Portuguese arrived in the city and named it as 'Porto Grand de Bengala' or the great port of Bengal. Chittagong is now regarded as the commercial capital of Bangladesh. Economy of Chittagong is mainly dominated by steel, ship building, textile etc.

Kolkata's establishment as a major city dates back to the 17th century with the arrival of the British Empire in India. Kolkata was the capital of British India and was the wealthiest city in the sub continent till the early 20th century. At present, Kolkata plays a prominent role in the economy of Eastern India. Kolkata's economy is largely led by the growth of the IT industry.

GDP (ppp)

Chittagong - $174.06 Billion
Economy of Chittagong - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Kolkata - $150 Billion
Economy of Kolkata - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Annual port handling

Cargo handling

Chittagong - 49.917 million tons (2012-13)
Cargo Handling Statistics | Chittagong Port Authority

Kolkata - 41.386 million tons (2013-14)
Cargo Statistics-Kolkata Port Trust

Container handling
Chittagong - 1,468,713 TEUs (2012-13)
Containers Handling Statistics of Chittagong Port | Chittagong Port Authority

Kolkata - 562,020 TEUs (2013-14)
http://www.kolkataporttrust.gov.in/showfile.php?layout=2&lang=1&lid=1284

@Rain Man @Maira La @Bilal9 @bongbang @Doyalbaba and others, please share more info about these two cities.

Good luck to both cities.

Kolkata-Second Hooghly Bridge & a Road Interchange

20253222542_d82fd1a77f_b.jpg

pathikdebmallik, on Flickr

It's being converted into four lanes and will be completed by the end of this year so no worries... and for railway, there are plans for high speed elevated railway with an MoU already signed with China.
MoU with China ? Do you even know what these words mean ?
That highway construction is funded via Japan debt cancellation fund. In 2006, the contract went to a Pakistani company, which got cancelled in 2010 and went to a Chinese company, Sinohydro Corporation. They were supposed to complete the job by end of 2013, but completed only 30% in that time and asked for more money than what was agreed before, I forgot the amount. It' mid-2015 and still not completed.

MoU with China ? Do you even know what these words mean ?
That highway construction is funded via Japan debt cancellation fund. In 2006, the contract went to a Pakistani company, which got cancelled in 2010 and went to a Chinese company, Sinohydro Corporation. They were supposed to complete the job by end of 2013, but completed only 30% in that time and asked for more money than what was agreed before, I forgot the amount. It' mid-2015 and still not completed.

Being a non-Bangladeshi I am honestly impressed by your level of knowledge about our projects.

What is the source? Wiki?

Being a non-Bangladeshi I am honestly impressed by your level of knowledge about our projects.

What is the source? Wiki?
Somewhat related to work, hence some particular type of news leaves a greater impression.

Wiki can be a great source too if you have the habit of checking the references being quoted there.

What about much hyped $7 billion airport and Dhaka Metro ? First convert your meter gauge tracks into broad gauge,then talk about HSR.

Already being converted. Dhaka Metro is under construction.

Kolkata-Second Hooghly Bridge & a Road Interchange

20253222542_d82fd1a77f_b.jpg

pathikdebmallik, on Flickr

That's nice, here's Chittagong's answer - the Shah Amanat Bridge over Karnaphuli river

73141239.jpg

It's being converted into four lanes and will be completed by the end of this year so no worries... and for railway, there are plans for high speed elevated railway with an MoU already signed with China.
So why dont you open a thread when these fantasies turn into reality?
You are comparing Kolkata to a dreamland of yours my dear friend.
To sum it up:
1. You compared 5 year old data for Kolkata with current figures of Chottogram. And please my friend from next time do not quote wikipedia.
Go through the below link to educate yourself
:
http://www.brookings.edu/~/media/Re...global-metro-monitor/bmpp_GMM_final.pdf?la=en
2. What infrastructure/Industry you guys are planning for Chottogram, is already servicing the people ok Kolkata.
3. I would not embarass you more by posting pictures of Kolkata. Google for kolkata airport/rajarhat/salt lake pictures. Dont get surprised when you do. Those are actually in Kolkata / and not CGI.
4. Take my advise and dont embarrass yourself and your city further.

How do they calculate GDP for a city in India.

Total Population (Metro + Non Metro) x Per Capita Income (in Rupee)

Now you figure why Bombay Delhil and Kolkata GDP looks so inflated. ;)

Thanks for the Thread. We should also bring other cities into account. Cities per square mile is way higher than India in Bangladesh.

How do they calculate GDP for a city in India.

Total Population (Metro + Non Metro) x Per Capita Income (in Rupee)

Now you figure why Bombay Delhil and Kolkata GDP looks so inflated. ;)

Thanks for the Thread. We should also bring other cities into account. Cities per square mile is way higher than India in Bangladesh.
kano bhai kano?
Why are you so eager to make a$$ out of yourself with such claims?
Lol, no details/no stats and my bangladeshi comes and leaves a big fart which will further retard a already retarded thread.

Back
Top Bottom