What's new

Concessions to Pakistan: EU move gets mixed reaction at CIG meeting

Actually thats the worst thing to do. Why give free aid, when you can give business? It is the age old philosophy, of teaching a man to fish instead of giving him a fish.

Actually the real help anyone can give Pakistan is 1) Not give aid 2) Give trade. No freebies.

Asim veer, taking your example further, why not help restart the industry in Pakistan's affected areas? Why not provide them machinery and loans so that they can get back on their feet? Surely thats a better solution, right?

Asim veer, taking your example further, why not help restart the industry in Pakistan's affected areas? Why not provide them machinery and loans so that they can get back on their feet? Surely thats a better solution, right?

The answer to your question is actually dead simple. It doesn't make any sense to setup a whole industry infrastructure when it already existst elsewhere. Of course, if you're willing to provide the millions we can talk.

Read my replies to Zaki above. I have elucidated how this waiver will adversely affect India's textile workers, most of them are poor themselves, just like Pakistan's. Here's an excerpt from my previous post-

I've also answered your unfounded skepticism. It’s too premature to judge that the waiver can or will affect Indian textile workers. Rather, your fear is based on protectionism apart from other unfounded apprehensions.

The answer to your question is actually dead simple. It doesn't make any sense to setup a whole industry infrastructure when it already existst elsewhere. Of course, if you're willing to provide the millions we can talk.

Again, I find myself repeating this in every post in this thread,--Why punish the Indian textile exporters for that, when you know that Indian exports will go down if Pakistan's are given duty free access? What is their fault?

Just think of yourself from an Indian textile exporter's perspective. Why is he being indirectly punished for the floods in Pakistan?

I've also answered your unfounded skepticism. It’s too premature to judge that the waiver can or will affect Indian textile workers. Rather, your fear is based on protectionism apart from other unfounded apprehensions.

I dont think mine or GoI's fears are unfounded. Textiles, handicrafts, Basmati and Mangoes are a few products where India and Pakistan are competitors. A benefit to one country will adversely affect the other. Its not that hard to understand.

And please don't tell me that GoI has an ulterior motive for not allowing this concession. GoI offered its help during the floods as well.

Again, I find myself repeating this in every post in this thread,--Why punish the Indian textile exporters for that, when you know that Indian exports will go down if Pakistan's are given duty free access? What is their fault?

Just think of yourself from an Indian textile exporter's perspective. Why is he being indirectly punished for the floods in Pakistan?

Why does India make an exception of itself? Again, Indian paranoia is unjustified and baseless. Granting Pakistan a waiver isn’t meant to punish India. The Indians need to get out of their victim mindset. The sole purpose of the temporary trade concession is meant to fix the damaged economy. It’s also meant to help the flood affectees in the process. Once you start accepting this fact you’ll also realize that it’s not a conspiracy theory meant to hurt India.

Why does India make an exception of itself? Again, Indian paranoia is unjustified and baseless. Granting Pakistan a waiver isn’t meant to punish India. The Indians need to get out of their victim mindset. The sole purpose of the temporary trade concession is meant to fix the damaged economy. It’s also meant to help the flood affectees in the process. Once you start accepting this fact you’ll also realize that it’s not a conspiracy theory meant to hurt India.

I am not saying its a conspiracy theory, just saying that the method use to help Pakistan has adverse impact on India. Here's my reply to you to another post -

I dont think mine or GoI's fears are unfounded. Textiles, handicrafts, Basmati and Mangoes are a few products where India and Pakistan are competitors. A benefit to one country will adversely affect the other. Its not that hard to understand.

And its not about having the victim mindset. EU can lift duties on Baloch marbles exports for example (if that is exported), India wont care as it has no competing interest there. But any category where India is also a direct competitor would be protested against.

And please don't tell me that GoI has an ulterior motive for not allowing this concession. GoI offered its help during the floods as well.

If I'm correct, the initiative was launched by the EU. It's the EU which realized that Pakistan requires extra help in time of need. Therefore, it makes perfect sense for Pakistan to grab this opportunity with both hands. India feels the need to protect its interest by tooth and nail. Pakistan which has recently faced the worst natural catastrophe in its history has a greater need and urgency to protect its own economic interests.

The Indians certainly aren't helping Pakistan's cause by forming an obstacle in the first place. India needs to get off its high horse and show some cooperation and understanding.

If I'm correct, the initiative was launched by the EU. It's the EU which realized that Pakistan requires extra help in time of need. Therefore, it makes perfect sense for Pakistan to grab this opportunity with both hands. India feels the need to protect its interest by tooth and nail. Pakistan which has recently faced the worst natural catastrophe in its history has a greater need and urgency to protect its own economic interests.

The Indians certainly aren't helping Pakistan's cause by forming an obstacle in the first place. India needs to get off its high horse and show some cooperation and understanding.

Don't get emotional. Cooperation and understanding is all fine but not at the cost of our own interests, not for Pakistan at least, and not yet. As I said EU needs to find another solution that isn't detrimental to any party. Otherwise I hope GoI puts all its might in opposing the waiver.

Anyways, lets leave it to EU to decide. We as usual, can keep on debating till no end.

Don't get emotional. Cooperation and understanding is all fine but not at the cost of our own interests, not for Pakistan at least, and not yet. As I said EU needs to find another solution that isn't detrimental to any party. Otherwise I hope GoI puts all its might in opposing the waiver.

Anyways, lets leave it to EU to decide. We as usual, can keep on debating till no end.

Emotional? Do you have an emotional feeling detector? *sarc*

Well, that's the point, isn't it? Pakistan isn't going to let India have its way either. Pakistan will also protect its economic intererests tooth and nail. The EU is free to do as it wishes. If the EU feels the need to provide Pakistan with concessions so be it. India shouldn't cry like a baby.

Emotional? Do you have an emotional feeling detector? *sarc*

Snide remarks like the one below dont display a rational mind.

India needs to get off its high horse...

Well, that's the point, isn't it? Pakistan isn't going to let India have its way either. Pakistan will also protect its economic intererests tooth and nail. The EU is free to do as it wishes. If the EU feels the need to provide Pakistan with concessions so be it. India shouldn't cry like a baby.

You can call it crying or whatever you want to, we call it using our influence and throwing our weight around. We have it and we will use it.

Actually thats the worst thing to do. Why give free aid, when you can give business? It is the age old philosophy, of teaching a man to fish instead of giving him a fish.

Actually the real help anyone can give Pakistan is 1) Not give aid 2) Give trade. No freebies.

But by if by teaching you to fish , our fishermen are bound to loose their business then its the duty of the Government of India (which is elected by Indians) to oppose that move tooth and nail.

Why are you people not understanding it --- Its not the hate for Pakistan,its the self-interest that we are looking after.

OK its official. The EU has postponed the concession & it will be presented to WTO in March 2011. And as usual, India has been vilified & it has been projected that the decision was solely based on India's opposition.

Top Stories - Pakistan not off the hook in concession seeking: EU gives fresh assurance

ISLAMABAD (December 07, 2010) : Pakistan is not off the hook in concession-seeking efforts as European Union has formally conveyed to Islamabad that its case to get waiver for a concessional tariff regime from its member countries will again be presented to the World Trade Organisation (WTO) in March 2011.

The officials in Islamabad seem little bit consoled and relieved after getting the new assurance from EU for keeping their hopes alive for getting some preferential treatment in the near future to help Pakistani exporters get more share and subsequently supplement the government's efforts to enhance export to that market.

Sources said the officials of the Commerce Ministry and the Foreign Office have shared the new EU assurance and they are likely to present Pakistan's case to the WTO next time for a waiver with even better preparations. The EU is also specific for next time for Pakistan as it hinted in its communiqué at working on hostile countries well before the event so that they do not oppose Pakistan's case at WTO forum.

The EU had presented Pakistan's case to WTO on November 29, for one-time waiver for concessional treatment for 75 key exportable items to the EU market on the ground that in post July 2010 flood the country deserves special concessions to steer its weakening economy out of current difficult phase, but it did not go through due to India's strong opposition. This development dashed Pakistan's hope to get special concessional for its some key sectors such as textile and value added which contribute to is exports to the EU. The officials here in Islamabad had calculated benefit in monetary terms to Pakistan of one-time waiver for concessional regime for 75 items roughly $900 million. This could also help Pakistan take its case for similar concessions from other key trade partners like Japan and USA.

Jalil Abbas, Pakistan's ambassador in Geneva, reported to have had conveyed to the officials in Islamabad much before the WTO meeting that India could oppose Pakistan's move to get concessional treatment from the EU member countries. The conscious ambassador had suggested to the decision-makers in Islamabad to try to convince India through some non-traditional channel that since it was going to sign free trade agreement it should not oppose Pakistan's case for one-time waiver at WTO forum, but the suggestion did not work at home.

India tries to stab Pakistan in the back every time because Indians are not brave enough to do it on the face. Pakistan needs to focus on trade not aid. Actually trade has done good things for Pakistan and we should keep the momentum going.

India tries to stab Pakistan in the back every time because Indians are not brave enough to do it on the face. Pakistan needs to focus on trade not aid. Actually trade has done good things for Pakistan and we should keep the momentum going.

May be you did not read this from the article?

The conscious ambassador had suggested to the decision-makers in Islamabad to try to convince India through some non-traditional channel that since it was going to sign free trade agreement it should not oppose Pakistan's case for one-time waiver at WTO forum, but the suggestion did not work at home.

Your ambassador knew India was going to oppose & advised the GoP of convincing India. A wise suggestion indeed - GoP should have taken India into confidence before the move as Indian interests were at stake. But as always in GoP, the India-paranoia won. As if talking to India would have been a great sin or something.

Back
Top Bottom