What's new

controversies section: asian games

Sales not converting to filled seats at cricket.

Guangzhou: If all the tickets are sold, the Asian Cricket Council wants to know why the stadium has been almost empty for the sport’s Asian Games debut.

“The gap between expectations and reality is surprising,” ACC media manager Shahriar Khan told reporters on Monday. “We have no idea about the tickets sale.”

Despite claims by organizers that all the tickets were sold out, only roughly 500 people turned up to watch
when the Chinese women played the opening match against Malaysia on the weekend.

“There’s no way one could buy a ticket online,” Khan said, adding that a cricket official from Hong Kong was interested in buying a ticket but he couldn’t “because the website showed it sold out.”

The sparse crowds on the opening few days have mostly comprised students from the Guanggong University of Technology, where the Asian Games venue is located.

Most of them have had little idea about the sport, but have been kept abreast of the proceedings through announcements over the public address system whenever a run is scored or a wicket falls.

Khan said the ACC had initially planned a promotional campaign about the Asian Games cricket event in nearby Hong Kong for those who wanted to travel to China.

“But when we came to know through Guangzhou games website that the tickets were sold out we thought to leave out our plans of distributing flyers,” Khan said.

China’s next big international tournament will be in January 2011 when it co-hosts International Cricket Council’s World Cricket Division III tournament with Hong Kong.

Nice try.

Dedicated Servers | Managed Dedicated Servers | Web Hosting | VPS | Liquid Web.deccanherald.com/content/112962/sales-not-converting-filled-seats.html

you don't have a chinese source to give you news.....

how it really feel ,
that you have to check outside of your country to get the news on the games played in your soil.......

You must be deaf or dumb. I LIVE CANADA. I know it must blow your little tiny brain but I read the Globe and the Star and STILL think you're an idiot. *what a shocker*

you don't have a chinese source to give you news.....

how it really feel ,
that you have to check outside of your country to get the news on the games played in your soil.......

Sorry mate, Cardsharp can not provide you any source in Chinese, because he can not even read Chinese properly...

For the arguement here, please provide a non-indian base news source.

Last edited:
Sorry mate, Cardsharp can not provide you any source in Chinese, because he can not even read Chinese properly...

For the arguement here, please provide a non-indian base news sourse.

Shhhh I'll relearn it one day down the line. I actually read a lot as a kid. ( I can still communicate verbally)

I learn languages really fast but I also forget them really fast.

For the arguement here, please provide a non-indian base news source.

does all news source in china are in chinese language...

anyway ,

Sales not converting to filled seats at cricket - Yahoo! Sports

Sales not converting to filled seats at cricket | kgw.com | Portland News, Local News, Breaking News, Weather | Sports

but he won't going to like it either....

To all Chinese members, just ignore this troll thread, that "illiterated troll " will be running out of bullets very soon.:cheers:
PS, i wish i 'm allow to post some of his brilliant posts from I.... defence forum on here, so that everyone will get to know his true "evil colour".:D

Shhhh I'll relearn it one day down the line. I actually read a lot as a kid. ( I can still communicate verbally)

I learn languages really fast but I also forget them really fast.

Language skill needs immersion. As long as you retain the grammar and the 4 tones, you be up and running in no time. The main problem for reading is the small font size...

Cricket is the sport of the opium people.
Never got popular among the Chinese in British colonies.

I am not surprised by the low turnout at the cricket game, it is not like it is a very popular game in China, I can be sure that 80% of the people don't even know what it is. The interesting thing is that the reporter said that the tickets had been sold out.

I am not surprised by the low turnout at the cricket game, it is not like it is a very popular game in China, I can be sure that 80% of the people don't even know what it is. The interesting thing is that the reporter said that the tickets had been sold out.

and you know who bought all the tickets ,it's the Games organising committee ...

Asiad: Cricket chiefs probe ticket farce

Commonwealth Games vs Asian Games: No contest - The Times of India Nov 10, 2010

GUANGZHOU: It was all good news for Asian Games organizers: the deputy mayor of this southern city outlining impressive progress with test events and venue preparations, and talking of hosting the games "with a Cantonese charm."

Sitting next to Xu Ruisheng, who is also on the organizing committee, at a news conference on Wednesday was Randhir Singh of India, a member of the Olympic Council of Asia.

Singh's country recently hosted the Commonwealth Games in New Delhi, a multi-sports event beset by construction delays, corruption allegations and, in its early stages, empty stadiums. So when the inevitable question about a comparison between the two events came, Singh conceded China is setting the example for the rest of Asia.
"There were many delays in Delhi, so the test events got delayed, we had problems there," said Singh, a member of the International Olympic Committee. "And there had been some internal problems, but still, we managed to hold a very good games. I believe Guangzhou will as well."

The Commonwealth Games ended October 14. Competition begins less than a month later at the Asian Games, which includes 42 sports and involves more than 10,000 athletes from 45 regions and countries which comprise two-thirds of the world's population.

Singh listened as Xu read out some dazzling figures in terms of preparations, and ones which the smaller Commonwealth Games were never able to match: 53 competition venues and 17 training stadiums ready and locked down in Guangzhou well in advance of Friday's opening ceremony, and the completion of test events for all 42 sports.

Four times in the past three weeks, the Guangzhou organizing committee held "simulation tests" at all venues to test timing and scoring systems and hold dry runs for the medal presentations at what will be the biggest Asian Games on record.

"I am glad to say that after these tests, we have greatly enhanced our operational abilities," Xu said through an interpreter.

The Commonwealth Games managed only a handful of test events for its 17 sports. Some countries even considered withdrawing from the New Delhi Games following long construction delays, the collapse of a foot bridge and the discovery of ****** conditions in the athletes' village just days before the games were to begin.

After the games ended, India's main opposition party demanded a parliamentary investigation into the organization of the event. The Bharatiya Janata Party said millions of dollars were siphoned by companies run by relatives of games officials, a claim which supports reports from local media.

There were also ticketing problems - spectators said they were often surrounded by empty seats, despite officials saying all seats had been sold. The Times of India reported that ticket sales brought in less than half the expected 1.1 billion rupees ($24 million).

On Tuesday, Suresh Kalmadi, head of the New Delhi 2010 organizing committee, was removed as party parliamentary secretary of India's governing Congress Party, which ordered an investigation into the Commonwealth Games.

Asked to comment on Kalmadi's demise, Singh didn't answer, but instead talked about Asia's emergence as a "major player in the world of sports." He said it was impressive that two major events such as the Asian Games and Commonwealth Games were being hosted in close proximity in time and location on the same continent.

While Delhi had its usual air pollution problems and unusual monsoonal rains that didn't help already-delayed construction at venues, Guangzhou, a city of 10 million, has done its best to reduce polluted air across the province. The levels are still considered high, however, by most Western standards.

Similar to rules for the Beijing Olympics in 2008, half of the 2.1 million private cars in Guangzhou have been ordered off the roads for a period during and leading up to the games, leading to improved air quality.

Xu again took the opportunity to spruik his city and his games. "The highest standards of water and electricity supply, smooth urban traffic and air, water and living environment quality," he gushed. "Guangzhou is ready to extend its welcoming hands."
Read more: Commonwealth Games vs Asian Games: No contest - The Times of India Commonwealth Games vs Asian Games: No contest - The Times of India

and you know who bought all the tickets ,it's the Games organising committee ...

Asiad: Cricket chiefs probe ticket farce

Read the article carefully. The GOC bought the tickets to ensure full house, this happens a lot in China when the organizers don't expect the venues to be full and lose face, and they buy those tickets for free and give to people. I guess the problem is that the people they distributed to aren't even interested even if it is for free, but the people who want those tickets couldn't get it.

Criket is an alien game to Chinese, as were Christmas to most mainland Chinese 10 years ago, thus it is no surprise. However, the authority that bought all tickets has overdone, they should have left something like 30%-40% available to interested public, including foreigners.

Near empty stadium at early stage of competition is normal, it happened in Malaysia for international badminton games too. Badminton is the No.1 sport in Malaysia, the final is always a big contrast, with stadium full busrting to the brim.

Also, it is normal too for organiser to look for corporate sponsors and government bodies to buy up large number of tickets for free distributions to employees and business affiliates, school sstudents etc.

Read the article carefully. The GOC bought the tickets to ensure full house, this happens a lot in China when the organizers don't expect the venues to be full and lose face, and they buy those tickets for free and give to people. I guess the problem is that the people they distributed to aren't even interested even if it is for free, but the people who want those tickets couldn't get it.

then GOC could have bought 50% inplace of all , knowing well that a comman man can only buy it online...

i think it's more to do with security concerns , that GOC like to give tickets to
only few they know well..

or

the infrastructure/ GOC not ready to take the burden of a huge geathering....you know , GOC will then need to look at water , senitation , security , ..and be needing extra polic and volanteers..

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom