What's new

COUNTRY WITH 1.2 BILLION PEOPLE WILDLY CELEBRATES 2 LOSING MEDALS. HOW EMBARRASSING IS THAT?

Oh he certainly is trolling no doubt about it.
And it's not a big deal that sharapova doesn't know Sachin....90 percent of us Indians don't know Messi or Ronaldo either and that has got nothing to do with our topic.

I am just saying although he is trying to troll but he raised a very good point regarding our failure to get the proper recognition in the sports arena

Yep my point was exactly about that overreaction to a troll attempt.. I dont see anything beyond that

I think we have discussed Indian and further South Asian lack of sporting success enough on a number of threafs, Except for a few rare glimpse of individual brilliance, There is nothing much to talk about.. I guess for the majority of the population the priority is to get three square meals a day not professional sports, So until that aspect is sorted out, People in the region will have to do with disappointments

We hardly need the likes of Morgan to realize the dismal reality of Indian sports sans a few exceptions. The problem is at all levels and aspects be it cultural, infrastructure, support structures etc.

Things may improve, they may not. Hardly matters in reality. There are infinitely more significant things for us to concentrate on as a nation.

I dont agree with what he has stated, or the context of it.. Obvious attempt at trolling.. But the fact is it warrants such a post because of the Over sensitive over reaction you expect from Indians, This is not the first time either, Remember the Sharapova incident ? They make such easy targets

Sharapova, who's that?

Ok. But if you notice the tweet by Piers, the one that causeed this outrage, is that he said its funny how Indians are celebrating just two medals which according to him implies Indians are satisfied, and hence ge got mocked back. He did not talk about poor state of sports in our country as you are saying, otherwise everyone would had agreed and there would have been no outrage.

Lol.. He's trolling mate, He does'nt care about the status of infrastructure there, You people are just feeding it with your over sensitive reaction.. Just like some posters here fall right in to the trap :D

Lol.. He's trolling mate, He does'nt care about the status of infrastructure there, You people are just feeding it with your over sensitive reaction.. Just like some posters here fall right in to the trap :D
Right.

That's not true...I can't agree to this that we cannot produce 100 quality sportspersons out of 1.3 billion people ....being poor is not an excuse...

It is just one part of the problem, Lack of sporting culture, Corruption at administration levels, Lack of nutrition, training, wrong dietary habits, genes, infrastructure.. Reasons are numerous, Yes it shouldn't be an excuse because far smaller, less wealthy countries have far out performed a nation of 1.3 billion but such is reality.. There needs to be a paradigm shift but i don't see that happening soon.. From one of the more relatively successful Olympic campaigns India had in London to back to square one this time

India should be proud of their athletes. It's about the spirit and good soportsmanship, not the medal tally. Congrats to India for winning two medals.
Agree....nothing wrong to celebrate...
No matter how many medals you get...
All Chinese athletes are welcomed in Great Hall of the People today, with or without a medal.

屏幕快照 2016-08-26 00.30.12.png
W020160825749866497011.jpg
W020160825749871100845.jpg
W020160825749849650600.jpg

At airport
1471914242370897.jpg
64006a8dc5161926c38d2a.jpg

645581373802743142_11n.jpg

Last edited:
All Chinese athletes are welcomed in Great Hall of the People today, with or without a medal.

View attachment 328835 View attachment 328832 View attachment 328833View attachment 328842

At airport
View attachment 328840 View attachment 328841

View attachment 328836

Good pics! I do respect sportsmanship, however Rio is a landslide disappointment for China. Despite unfair judges in boxing, fencing and gymnastics, Chinese team should also deeply review the far lower than expected results in shooting, weight-lifting, swimming, badminton and rowing.

Good pics! I do respect sportsmanship, however Rio is a landslide disappointment for China. Despite unfair judges in boxing, fencing and gymnastics, Chinese team should also deeply review the far lower than expected results in shooting, weight-lifting, swimming, badminton and rowing.
Agree....very disappointing performances in traditional fields....Some are not just disappointing but disastrous...
An overhaul is a must in those fields...A lot of coaches should be fired.
But we did also have breakthroughs in a lot of new fields, such as track & field, bike, golf, taekwondo, synchronised swimming....

Especially the first gold in bike Asia has ever gold...
129226252_14710445627241n.jpg
3223423.jpg
q21.jpg

Though I respect those athletes in some of the traditional fields, frankly speaking, they did spend too much time in commercials and entertainment industry.... Compared to their counterparts in US and other countries, they under-trained.....All the other countries are crazily pouring money and efforts training their athletes.....China lags behind.....I hope in the next 4 years before Tokyo, they could spend less time in selfie and shows. Their first jobs are sports and exploring the limit of world records, not in a reality show or milk commercial.
(u know whom I refer to)

Last edited:
I hope more funds are allocated for training athletes. More awareness needs to be created for sports in general. IIT/JEE is not everything. :angel:

However look at from this angle. Despite the bias judging and changing of rules and even the ping pong ball (made it bigger so it travels slower to give non Chinese an advantage),China still did quite well.

Congrats to China and her athletes! Made Chinese from all over the world proud

View attachment 328835 View attachment 328832 View attachment 328833View attachment 328842

At airport
View attachment 328840 View attachment 328841

View attachment 328836

You are right, but most of the pics are shown with medal winners. Chinese cheer more for medal winners. Sorry to my Indian members here but that is reality. Everyone loves a winner.
The Chinese athletes sitting close to the front are medal winners

However look at from this angle. Despite the bias judging and changing of rules and even the ping pong ball (made it bigger so it travels slower to give non Chinese an advantage),China still did quite well.

Congrats to China and her athletes! Made Chinese from all over the world proud

You are right, but most of the pics are shown with medal winners. Chinese cheer more for medal winners. Sorry to my Indian members here but that is reality. Everyone loves a winner.
The Chinese athletes sitting close to the front are medal winners
Yeah, front benchers are gold winners...
But those who do not have can still sit in the same hall...hope they could be inspired....
We must salute to all athletes in Asia......they have tried....win or not, is another story....

W020160824523865912840.jpg
W020160824014311070611.jpg

Outdated training methods, lack of proper training space, ill-managed administration must be seriously examined.
UK spent several millions of pounds per gold medal....China has really under-invested....
Again, those who are addicted to commercials even before good results must be seriously questioned....
Let's first have some celebration....(they will go to HK soon)
But later, should they not train as hard as their counterparts in the West, all fired.

Yeah, front benchers are gold winners...
But those who do not have can still sit in the same hall...hope they could be inspired....
We must salute to all athletes in Asia......they have tried....win or not, is another story....
Outdated training methods, lack of proper training space, ill-managed administration must be seriously examined.
UK spent several millions of pounds per gold medal....China has really under-invested....
Again, those who are addicted to commercials even before good results must be seriously questioned....
Let's first have some celebration....
But later, should they not train as hard as their counterparts in the West, all fired.

My concern is that China is fairly rich and developed. If you say China's training method is outdated than how would a poorer country invest in training? Can spending a lot of money per athlete help with winning medals?

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...u-spend-rs-480-crore/articleshow/53753471.cms

India can get you 10 medals in 2020 if you spend Rs 480 crore

My concern is that China is fairly rich and developed. If you say China's training method is outdated than how would a poorer country invest in training? Can spending a lot of money per athlete help with winning medals?

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...u-spend-rs-480-crore/articleshow/53753471.cms

India can get you 10 medals in 2020 if you spend Rs 480 crore
Some are ok, some are not..
Olympics is all about investment....(well u have to have a big pool of proper potential athletes for sure)
For example....years ago, they hired a physio who could be in charge of several sports....
But now, not just one team, but one athlete can have his/her own physio...
Same with nutritionist, and even psycho.....
Money...money.....money....

China's women volleyball team could get their 3rd Olympics gold in Rio, it has many reasons.
A professional league.....several training centres around China (u have to find good place with good scenery....they have a centre on Hainan Island...lol)....best coach(millions of yuan per year, no joke)....best physio......and again, money
W020160824014311070611.jpg

Now it's 21st century, sport is a industry....Any gold is underpinned by so many factors...
U suck in one element, then u will definitely fail.....Most countries are crazily investing in competitive sport for Olympics (Small country focus on one or two fields....Medium country on 3-5...Big power on >8-10....Super power on nearly all fields)....

Now a gold is worth several million pounds in UK, probably worth millions of pounds 4 years later......U stop funding or under-fund, then even u have the right athletes, a gold is of 0% chance....Check US, how crazily they are burning dollars in those programs in schools....Their investment in gymnastics and swimming is crazy...

Last edited:
Piers Morgan mocks India’s hyped Olympic celebration, then retweets ‘Modi’s tweet’ with similar content
By JKR Staff -
August 24, 2016
Share on Facebook

Tweet on Twitter

British journalist Piers Morgan on Wednesday became the dominating theme of social media conversation for his criticism of India’s poor performance in Rio Olympics.

In his tweet, Morgan, who’s now moved to the US and presents a flagship show on CNN, mocked India’s hyped celebration at winning just two Rio Olympics medals.

He tweeted, “Country with 1.2 billion people wildly celebrates 2 losing medals. How embarrassing is that?”

xpiers-morgan_650x400_61472040358.jpg.pagespeed.ic.j7IIFwppXR.webp

His comment angered many Indians as they began to troll the British journalist. Noted among them were controversial Indian writer, Chetan Bhagat and socialite Suhel Seth.

Piers, it seems, was on fire as he responded with incredibly witty one-liners to his Indian critics.

Bhagat, while commenting on Piers’ tweet, misspelled the journalist’s first name.

Bhagat’s tweet read, “We honor achievers Peirs. Top 3 in the world,despite 3rd world sports facilities isn’t loser.It is freaking amazing!”

To which, Piers too replied by wrongly spelling the name of the Indian writer.

Piers wrote, ” Noted, Chatan.”

Piers Morgan @piersmorgan
Noted, Chatan. https://twitter.com/chetan_bhagat/status/768403625966116864 …

4:59 PM - 24 Aug 2016

Piers wasn’t finished yet as he appeared determined to tackle his Indian critics on Twitter head-on.

True to his form, Seth didn’t hesitate to make his attack against Piers personal.

His tweet read, “What is even more embarrassing are your snivelling interviews as if you had a diaper in your mouth. Sad.

Pat came the reply from the 51-year-old British journalist, “At least you’ll never have to worry about being one of my interviewees, Suhel. I only interview famous people.”

The former Daily Mail editor also received plenty of support from Indian social media users including some popular celebrities.

Film director and a prolific Twitter user, Shirish Kunder reminded all of how Indian prime minister, Narendra Modi too had once allegedly tweeted expressing similar thoughts as that of Piers.

Modi’s alleged tweet had gone a step further and asked the Indians to die of shame. But of course, this was during his time as an opposition leader.

As expected, Piers was nimble-footed in retweeting Kunder’s tweet that included the snapshot of Modi’s tweet.

With just one silver and a bronze, India had finished at an appallingly 67th position in the Rio Olympics medal table.

In contrast, the British contingent had returned home with 67 medals including 27 gold, 23 silver and 17 bronze. This was two more than what the British athletes had achieved in London Olympics four years ago.

Here are some other social media reactions:

Sorabh Pant @hankypanty
People getting furious with Piers Morgan.
Hilarious.
Guys, this is what he does.
He's a professional troll.
He's KRK with a British accent.

Tanmay Bhat @thetanmay
*Too much drama already faces so quietly types out tweet supporting popular sentiment so yes yes piers Morgan what a total lie he tweeted*

Keh Ke Peheno @coolfunnytshirt
Piers Morgan is right. We shud stop glorifying small achievements!We shud focus on our job instead of blaming Modi, LG, MCD, DP all the time

Gautam @gautamverma23
If trolling was a sport, India would be having the maximum number of gold medals for ripping Piers Morgan apart.

Sruthijith @sruthijith
Piers morgan getting acquainted with Indian nationalist twitter in 3... 2... https://twitter.com/piersmorgan/status/768352437166112768 …

कोमल :) @Komal_Indian
What Piers Morgan is saying is not untrue !
First step towards improvement is to accept that u need to improve ! https://twitter.com/piersmorgan/status/768436620353740801 …

Rofl Piers Gandhi @RoflGandhi_
We need Akshay Kumar to teach Piers Morgan a lesson, the way he taught it to Graeme Smith in Namastey London.

http://www.jantakareporter.com/social-media-buzz/piers-morgan-mocks-indias/57761

How many medals has he won ?

Back
Top Bottom