What's new

Court orders society death probe

Moin91

Reaction score
The High Court in the Indian city of Calcutta has ordered federal police to investigate the death of a Muslim man within a month of his marriage.
The dead man had recently married the daughter of a rich Hindu businessman who allegedly opposed the union.
Analysts say the court order is a setback for the West Bengal government, which argued the death was due to the bridegroom's suicide.
Computer graphics designer Rizwanur Rehman was found dead on 21 September.
His body was found on a railway track near the city's airport area of Dumdum.
The discovery of the body prompted protests by angry crowds of friends and relatives who attacked police in central Calcutta, alleging foul play.
'Cold blooded murder' Mr Rehman married Priyanka Todi, daughter of one of Calcutta's richest businessmen, Ashok Todi, in August.

But the Todis refused to accept the marriage.
The dead man's family allege that senior Calcutta police officials, believed to be close to Mr Todi, threatened Mr Rehman to allow Priyanka to return to her parents.
They say that after Priyanka went back, Rizwanur was found dead on the train tracks.
"This is a case of cold-blooded murder but the police are trying to show it as suicide. That is preposterous," said the dead man's brother, Rukbanur Rehman.
The Rehmans have been joined by tens of thousands of sympathetic Calcuttans, cutting across religions and political affiliations, to demand justice.
They have organised silent rallies and candle-lit processions for Mr Rehman, praying for his soul and demanding punishment for the Todis and "his friends" in the police.
'Special protection'
The local media, particularly Bengali TV channels, have given huge coverage to the case.
Leading local personalities have appeared on the screen to lambast the Calcutta police and the West Bengal government for "interfering in the married life of two adults".
Former Chief Minister and top lawyer Siddhartha Shankar Ray alleged that West Bengal's Marxist government had not implemented Supreme Court guidelines to accord "special protection" to couples involved in inter-religious marriages.
Another former Chief Minister, Jyoti Basu, has called for the removal of top police officials who had allegedly interfered on behalf of the Todis to break up the marriage.
The state government, under huge popular pressure to act against the Todis and alleged corruption surrounding the case within the police force, has ordered inquiries into the incident by the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) and by a retired judge of the Calcutta High Court.
The current Chief Minister, Buddhadev Bhattacharya, has visited the Rehmans in their house and assured them they will receive justice.
But he has so far refused to remove the five police officials accused of interfering on behalf of the Todis in the case. The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) inquiry into the death of Rizwanur Rehman should submit its report within two months.

There has been 24 hour candle light vigil being dome by all outside St Xaviers College, where he studied..

The Police Chief has been sacked as of today.

The High Court has ordered that the case is handed over to the CBI.

Justice will be done!

No cover up or crap with be tolerated by the Calcuttans!

A fresh post mortem will be done!

its a crime report ......whats the point posting it in a defence forum
i think the guy posted it has a love for indian muslims like there cricket
captain.

ied_blast,

Of course we have love for Indian muslims.

So you think an Indian Muslim in a secular India shouldn't be given equal rights/judgment?

So you are supportive of Hindu police in hiding actual cause of the death?

Interesting.

ied_blast,

Of course we have love for Indian muslims.

So you think an Indian Muslim in a secular India shouldn't be given equal rights/judgment?

So you are supportive of Hindu police in hiding actual cause of the death?

Interesting.

hindu this muslim that.... ur sick bro.

hindu this muslim that.... ur sick bro.

LOL :D

I am sick because i want equal rights for the Muslims in India?

Interesting!

"This is a case of cold-blooded murder but the police are trying to show it as suicide. That is preposterous," said the dead man's brother, Rukbanur Rehman.

a must read for all those who thinks like this mod

Pakistan’s Impact on Indian Muslims at Indian Muslims

So what is that you wana prove out of it. Quoting one guy that thinks two nation theory was wrong while neglecting many others (indian muslims) who actually think their interest are being minipulated in india and people like dimension who have actually migrated from india due to unjustice that they found in india. Mods here are doing an excellent job and are trying to be as netural as they can otherwise you wouldnt be paisting such crap as you currently are. My advice to you is stop flaming.:flame:

Minority issue is a sensitive issue.

It requires a greater attention in India and hence it is news.

Of course, it has nothing to do with defence, unless one expected a riot to ensue.

Nothing has happened so far because all agencies are at work including the population and the media!

I would also migrate if I were a ne'er do well and wish to live off the fat of the land instead!

In the US people of Asian origin are strip searched. People with beards are treated as animals and yet none complains. And yet the hang around with all the humiliation.

In the UK, Moslems are humiliated and yet they hang on.

Any answer why?

The reason is dollar and pound seems to be much attractive for them. Unable to do within their own country, help it progress, rather decide to use their expertise because they can pay well and inturn get stronger by the expertise provided by our very own people. Strip search dosent embrasse them at all.

Sadly, only a few return to help their countries.

Nothing embarrasses them since Dollar is their new God!

In the US people of Asian origin are strip searched. People with beards are treated as animals and yet none complains. And yet the hang around with all the humiliation.

In the UK, Moslems are humiliated and yet they hang on.

Any answer why?

Salim,

Honestly! How do you know this? Have you visited the United States?

Let me tell you this. United States is a land of freedom, preference, and opportunity which you cannot get anywhere else.

Thats why thousands of students from India come to live here.

Now is it because they dont get freedom and enjoyment in India? It would be silly to think like that!

Let me also add, that a number of people who migrate from India is far less than the people from Pakistan.

Is it because of India's sheer size or lack of freedom.. ehmm? Totally irrelevant, but a good tool for you know what.

its a crime report ......whats the point posting it in a defence forum
i think the guy posted it has a love for indian muslims like there cricket
captain.

When your going to post **** like that in Defence.pk.. dont expect sweetness and fairness in return. It was totally uncalled for.. hence my replies, which more than pissed you off.

Cheer it off.

Salim,

Honestly! How do you know this? Have you visited the United States?

Let me tell you this. United States is a land of freedom, preference, and opportunity which you cannot get anywhere else.

Thats why thousands of students from India come to live here.

Now is it because they dont get freedom and enjoyment in India? It would be silly to think like that!

Let me also add, that a number of people who migrate from India is far less than the people from Pakistan.

Is it because of India's sheer size or lack of freedom.. ehmm? Totally irrelevant, but a good tool for you know what.

Hyperboles do not overawe me. It does awe me, but does not overawe me.

Have I visited Fiji? Have I visited Afghanistan? No. Today's world is a global world and the communications are realtime. The video pictures are realtime. The news reporting is realtime and varied in commentary. Then, there are books. Then there are the forums, blogs and a whole host of information mediums. Anyone who wants to read and acquire knowledge, it is all there for him to be conversant with! On this forum itself, one can learn of the Pakistani psyche and of events as viewed from the common Pakistani's point of view and not merely those as reported in the media. And it offers a better insight into Pakistan and its middle class values since it is interactive. Do I know more of Pakistani society than before. Yes I do and guess what? I have not visited Pakistan in the recent times! My ideas on Pakistan is as authentic as the authentic views of the authentic Pakistani posters out here.

I would agree that it is still not the Real McCoy, but the distortion is not that great that an average mind cannot comprehend.

Who is talking about lack of freedom prompting people to migrate? What has Freedom to do with economic migration? The Freedom or lack of it is an issue that Dimension and Icecold (quoting Dimension) have raised.

I allude only to the issue that the Dollar is the new God for many!

People are migrating more from India than Pakistan is because they have the requisite skills to make a living.

In so far as strip searching in the US is concerned, have you not come across the term "racial profiling"? What does that mean? Is it happening in Asia, Africa or South America? Are we less vulnerable to terrorist threat than the Europeans and Americans? And if you want to needle me into giving an opinion on the US and freedom, then the US was more free than it is now. I do not appreciate the strip searching nor do I like the Patriot Act or the prying into all sorts of information of a person through illegal wiretaps and prying into the IT realm. And it is not only for America, but also for any country, including mine, doing so.

There was a huge hue and cry over the demand that Pakistani origin Britons get visas before they enter the US!

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom