What's new

CV-18 Fujian - Type 003 Aircraft Carrier News & Discussions

From 逆襲 @Horobeyo on 2020-08-20:

超大leeone的主题里也从中/苏和美国航母的水线长宽比上推测了003水线长度,他推算出水线宽度是40米,则长度在305~313米。然而老哥thefirstpin发图通过精确划线,得出水线宽度是39.6米,我觉得这个数据很准,接近真相了。动力舱分段顶部宽度确实是41米以上,但是下面带外倾角。

https://lt.cjdby.net/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=2642708&extra=page=1

The 超大leeone also extrapolates the 003 waterline length from the ratio of length to width of the Chinese/Soviet and American aircraft carriers. He calculates that the waterline width is 40 meters and the length is 305 ~ 313 meters. However, the first pin map shows that the waterline width gives a measurement of 39.6 meters, which I think is accurate and close to the truth. The top width of power module section is indeed more than 41 meters, but it has a camber angle below.

View attachment 662275

至此,基本得出003的水线长宽,为304~305米×39.6米,小鹰级的水线长宽是990英尺(301.95米)×130英尺(39.65),主尺度两者几乎一样大。但小鹰是三段100米长的舰首、动力舱、舰尾。003是113米的舰首,87米的动力舱,87米的舰尾,动力舱和舰尾较短,舰尾很宽,舰首很长应该是为了在总长有限时减小阻力

So far, the waterline length and width of 003 is basically obtained, which is 304 ~ 305 meters × 39.6 meters. The waterline length and width of the Kitty Hawk class is 301.95m × 39.65m, and the main dimensions are almost the same. However, the Kitty Hawk has three sections of 100-meter-long bow, power cabin and stern. The 003 has a bow of 113 meters, a power cabin of 87 meters, and a stern of 87 meters. The power cabin and stern are shorter, and the stern is very wide, and the long bow is supposed to reduce resistance when the total length is limited.

View attachment 662274

leeone = fzgfzy

He is more concerning to salvage his sinking reputation than telling the truth.

The debacle of the Type 075 has absolutely destroyed his reputation.

And the Type 003 will become a final nail to the coffin, and we shall see this very soon.

leeone = fzgfzy

He is more concerning to salvage his sinking reputation than telling the truth.

The debacle of the Type 075 has absolutely destroyed his reputation.

And the Type 003 will become a final nail to the coffin, and we shall see this very soon.

Interesting, but it seems some of these former Big-Stars/ Big-Shrimps are now falling in their reputation ... for Pupu and his latest claims concerning the J-20 I've heard similar concerns.

Interesting, but it seems some of these former Big-Stars/ Big-Shrimps are now falling in their reputation ... for Pupu and his latest claims concerning the J-20 I've heard similar concerns.
I don't see how Pupu is not credible other than one SDF poster who was ranting about him. He claimed Pupu was 99% wrong of the time and is a fraud but did not offer any evidence to back that up. Personally, I really don't see how 60 J-20s at the end of the year being a ridiculous claim at all.

Of course, the Type 003 will indeed become the biggest legend killer in the history of the Chinese military enthusiasts, over 90% of big shrimps will get annihilated.

Even a former military insider like POP3 will not be immune. Since POP3 has already made a bad prediction in the EMALS vs steam catapult contest, and will likely lose again in the reactor vs boiler contest.

Of course, the Type 003 will indeed become the biggest legend killer in the history of the Chinese military enthusiasts, over 90% of big shrimps will get annihilated.

Even a former military insider like POP3 will not be immune. Since POP3 has already made a bad prediction in the EMALS vs steam catapult contest, and will likely lose again in the reactor vs boiler contest.
To be fair, the plan was originally steam. At that time, no one thought the 003 was going to be EM because everyone was in the dark regarding Ma Weiming's progress.

We pretty much already knew that the steam catapult system had completed development and was ready to be built when the change was made. This at the end set the whole project back by more than two years (if you care to sit down and count the delays). POP3s prediction was right.

I don't see how Pupu is not credible other than one SDF poster who was ranting about him. He claimed Pupu was 99% wrong of the time and is a fraud but did not offer any evidence to back that up. Personally, I really don't see how 60 J-20s at the end of the year being a ridiculous claim at all.

I don't think it is ranting but being more and more critical and no longer taking everything for gospel. Point is - and IMO it is always a good point to even question such high value sources from time to time - that even the best one sometimes looses his network and as such becomes less credible due to changing networks. Just look: When Yefim Gordon started writing books on Russian aviation in the late 1980/90s he was the god father of all-knowing esp due to his connections to the old OKBs, but those are now all gone and since then he is a falling star with sometimes highly questionable results.

We pretty much already knew that the steam catapult system had completed development and was ready to be built when the change was made. This at the end set the whole project back by more than two years (if you care to sit down and count the delays). POP3s prediction was right.

Some recent information suggests that China had decided to go after EMALS for the third carrier as early as 2012.

So POP3's prediction was correct in the pre-2010s era.

I don't think it is ranting but being more and more critical and no longer taking everything for gospel. Point is - and IMO it is always a good point to even question such high value sources from time to time - that even the best one sometimes looses his network and as such becomes less credible due to changing networks. Just look: When Yefim Gordon started writing books on Russian aviation in the late 1980/90s he was the god father of all-knowing esp due to his connections to the old OKBs, but those are now all gone and since then he is a falling star with sometimes highly questionable results.
I agree but I don't understand why his claim of 60 J-20s by the end of this year was so non credible. Even 60 J-20s today is not some outlandish figure like a 240 kN WS-15 engine. My point is we should not take anything for gospel but I really don't see anything ridiculous about Pupu's claim (or his track record for that matter), as the SDF user implied. The J-20s with WS-10s have been mass produced since 2019 (or even late 2018) and we have not seen a single one in operation. This alone should tell us how far the observed J-20s numbers are from reality.
Some recent information suggests that China had decided to go after EMALS for the third carrier as early as 2012.

Pop3 is still honestly the most credible source on the PLAN; he only retired from CSSC in 2016 IIRC. As such, I still think his words bring value.

It is pretty certain that China was developing EMALS for many years now (at least a decade, I'd say). This is different than saying that China had locked EMALS for 003 from the start. It is far more probable that EMALS was being developed "for the future" with Steam LS being used in the meantime, and then a big TRL breakthrough happened with EMALS that made the interim solution obsolete/redundant.

In any case, the whole argument is semantics driven (from me at least)..what I was trying to say is that POP3 was not shooting in the dark when talking about 003 being planned for Steam Catapults. He was right on the money, and THEN things changed.

The 003 alignment comparison:

The 003 Alignment Comparison 20200815.png

those two missing modules (3,4) are probably around 30 meters in length combined, so if we add that to the total length of the other modules then the length is around 300 meters approximately, however this is without the bulbous bow right? in which case the ship would actually be longer than the Ford.

those two missing modules (3,4) are probably around 30 meters in length combined, so if we add that to the total length of the other modules then the length is around 300 meters approximately, however this is without the bulbous bow right? in which case the ship would actually be longer than the Ford.

Here is the first half of the bulbous bow.

The ship's waterline without the bulbous bow should be close to 300 meters (293 meters for the Ford class, which is 317 meters in total including a 24 meters bulbous bow), and here is 286 meters with one or two missing modules in the bow section.

bulbous_bow.png

modules.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom