What's new

CV-18 Fujian - Type 003 Aircraft Carrier News & Discussions

87de359547fa1c3d80ba43dd5e525006.jpg

PLEASE :woot: ... @LKJ86 !!! I admire your post and each contribution ... but please add a short translation so that the non-Chinese speaker/-reader know at least what's the point. :(

... and it is not a request by me, but a rule made by the forum's Admin.

Best and keep on...
Deino
China is planning a nuclear-powered icebreaker, and there is a tender notice about that.

I think if the 3rd carrier is broadly 80000-85000 tonnes, c.320 meters long and c.80 beam across flight deck, has at least 3 and preferable 4 deck-edge lifts, and has 3 catapults aligned so planes can be ready to launch and not interfere with aircraft landing, it will be an excellent platform for operating aircraft.

After seeing the CSIC image of the possible 003 aircraft carrier, I thought the ship looked not much bigger than PLANS 16 Liaoning and the 002 carrier. Now I realise it was only a CGI, and the angle was not the best for a comparison, but it didn’t look to me like an 80000 tonne vessel.

Now I am not saying the comments about 003 being 80000 tonnes are wrong, but to me the photo looked like a modified Liaoning. So then I thought about the article in the Chinese Defence magazine on how we could modify PLANS 16 (posted under CV-16 Liaoning - Type 001 Aircraft Carrier News & Discussions thread). What if 003 carrier is based on the Liaoning’s hull form, but modifying it as much as they can? China has a history of this, look at the Type052B/C/D evolution. What if the same philosophy was used on PLANS 16 Liaoning? 003 carrier would have a flat deck, three catapults and 3 deck-edge lifts, with an increased 16000m2 deck area instead of 14700m2. With the same hull, propulsion, and systems as 002 carrier, the only new addition will be the catapults. Especially if the 003 carrier is a one-off, this makes sense . Then 004 carrier only introduces nuclear propulsion and new hull as new factors, everything else is proven! Just a thought.

^^
It is possible, then I believe she could be close to 70000 tonnes.

Last edited:
^^
It is possible, then I believe she could be close to 70000 tonnes.
70,000 tonnes full displacement would be highly unlikely given that the Liaoning is already at over 60k tonnes. Most likely, the carrier will be around 80-85k tonnes full displacement ... a CGI is just a CGI.

70,000 tonnes full displacement would be highly unlikely given that the Liaoning is already at over 60k tonnes. Most likely, the carrier will be around 80-85k tonnes full displacement ... a CGI is just a CGI.

The Type 003 is now controversial, since there is chance it will be nuclear powered and being a 100,000+ tonnes supercarrier.

We will only know when it is officially launched.

The Type 003 is now controversial, since there is chance it will be nuclear powered and being a 100,000+ tonnes supercarrier.

We will only know when it is officially launched.

Actually I don't think so. There are indeed controversial rumours around but similar to such reports for other projects (the H-20 is already flying, the J-20 uses a +210kN WS-15, there is already a secret carrier-borne AEW operational off the CV-16) I would rate them BS or fan-boys wet dreams at best.

All reliable reports tend to conventional carrier with a displacement of 80000tonnes or a bit more.

Deino

Actually I don't think so. There are indeed controversial rumours around but similar to such reports for other projects (the H-20 is already flying, the J-20 uses a +210kN WS-15, there is already a secret carrier-borne AEW operational off the CV-16) I would rate them BS or fan-boys wet dreams at best.

All reliable reports tend to conventional carrier with a displacement of 80000tonnes or a bit more.

Deino

All 'reliable reports' claimed that the third carrier will still use the steam catapult, until rear admiral Ma Weiming cleared all the doubt.

All 'reliable reports' claimed that the third carrier will still use the steam catapult, until rear admiral Ma Weiming cleared all the doubt.

That that was long, long ago ... the recent reliable ones all hint to the EMALS, whereas no reliable one (at least none that I know) says 003 will be a 100000t CVN.

Deino the actual significance of this post is as follows:

"China has opened the bid to construct its first nuclear-powered icebreaker support ship, a move to prepare for the construction of a nuclear-powered aircraft carrier, military observers said."

From the English version of Chinamil.

Deino the actual significance of this post is as follows:

"China has opened the bid to construct its first nuclear-powered icebreaker support ship, a move to prepare for the construction of a nuclear-powered aircraft carrier, military observers said."

From the English version of Chinamil.

Indeed, but - at least IMO - for the already under construction 003 this is too late but indeed a "move to prepare for the construction of a nuclear-powered aircraft carrier" aka 004.

Back
Top Bottom