What's new

CV-18 Fujian - Type 003 Aircraft Carrier News & Discussions

What's the official line regarding power generation? Nuclear or conventional? AFAIK, there has been no consensus on this.

Well, the progression of the current third carrier is very close to the CVN-79 in that photo.

You can see that the Type 003 most likely got 2 major engines and 4 steam turbines, unlike the layout of the CV-16/17, which got 8 boilers and 4 steam turbines.

1.jpg

Well, the progression of the current third carrier is very close to the CVN-79 in that photo.

It's that reason why I asked. JNCX has kept certain parts covered up from prying eyes and it was not assembled in Dry Dock #4 (DD4). Since DD4 doesn't have environmental shelters, it would be rather difficult to hide the installation of nuclear reactors. It's not to say the current location at JNCX is totally secure, but it's a little easier to hide it than in a dry dock. At Dalian, no effort was made to cover up the conventional power plant installation because it's nothing new to anyone. I'm now expecting the entire engineering level to be completed (minus the bulbous section) before it gets relocated to Dry Dock #4.

You can see that the Type 003 most likely got 2 major engines and 4 steam turbines, unlike the layout of the CV-16/17, which got 8 boilers and 4 steam turbines.

I don't see anything to support what you're claiming. I only see openings where the steam turbines would be located. In the end, we'll all know on the power plant used when the island is installed.

So something like this?

View attachment 565445
Yes, but bear in mind it is just a sketch, a well educated thought one though. There is a possibility that there are two large super module blocks instead of just one block. We don't know from the photo at this stage.

I posted months ago regarding the contract tender on dredging of exit point for the harbour basin, I can't remember the project completion date, may be around 25th of June the dredging at exit point must be completed. So if there is any movement of the superblocks to dry dock, it would likely be happened after end of July/ August because the harbour basin itself is not yet deepened.

Last edited:
Yes, but bear in mind it is just a sketch, a well educated thought one though. There is a possibility that there are two large super module blocks instead of just one block. We don't know from the photo at this stage.

I posted months ago regarding the contract tender on dredging of exit point for the harbour basin, I can't remember the project completion date, may be around 25th of June the dredging at exit point must be completed. So if there is any movement of the superblocks to dry dock, it would likely be happened after end of July/ August because the harbour basin itself is not yet deepened.

Thanks, however I must admit I did not measure and calculate, but my feeling so far told me the finished ship should be about twice the length of the modules so far connected; aka I would have expected at least two such super structures and not the nearly complete ship, .... but time will tell. And also, there are come critics since he added details which look more like two nuclear reactors - as on USN CVN's - than a usual "power-pack".

About the length of the ship, your feeling is right. The top deck will extend to the bow, and the missing part of the stern may be longer than the sketch.

Correction on harbour basin project scheduled completion time.

My post dated 24th March 2019:-
"There are discussions in CJDBY that the proposed new "launching and fitting out basin/pool" contract is to be completed by October this year. And also a mobile dock or barge will be completed by the same time.

If the above are true, then it is possible that ac 003's planned launching schedule is after October this year. I have a photo dated 2018-8-19 showing a module of 003, which indicate that JNCX started fabricating that module in 2nd quarter of 2018.

(Edit: forget about the "launching after October this year" part. It should be movement of super module to dry dock.)

Since October 2019 is about 1 1/2 years after, it is quite reasonable that ac 003 will be launched around then. It will be interesting to see if they will use a dry dock or using the mobile barge method that launched type 055 DDG."

Last edited:
It's that reason why I asked. JNCX has kept certain parts covered up from prying eyes and it was not assembled in Dry Dock #4 (DD4). Since DD4 doesn't have environmental shelters, it would be rather difficult to hide the installation of nuclear reactors. It's not to say the current location at JNCX is totally secure, but it's a little easier to hide it than in a dry dock. At Dalian, no effort was made to cover up the conventional power plant installation because it's nothing new to anyone. I'm now expecting the entire engineering level to be completed (minus the bulbous section) before it gets relocated to Dry Dock #4.

From news so far don't think 003 is Nuclear power AC.

From news so far don't think 003 is Nuclear power AC.

FZGFZY has made so many erroneous predictions, his popularity is going down along with the CF forum.

Now it is not even going to carry as three smaller super blocks to the dry dock, most likely one larger super block only.

I read news possible some AC module will transport via road in shipyard using Spmt Self Propelled Modular Transporter, max up to 20K tons. distance about 2.5km to dry dock #4.

Example Spmt Self Propelled Modular Transporter.

20171221172842364.jpg

201712211727466035.jpg

Once again a brilliant write-up on the Chinese People’s Liberation Army Navy carrier program by Rick Joe aka @Blitzo !

He reviews "these recent developments in context of what has been previously rumored for the PLAN carrier program. Projections of future carrier development and procurement trajectories will also be considered, including the topic of carrier airwings."

Congrats, hat off ... well done.

https://thediplomat.com/2019/06/a-mid-2019-guide-to-chinese-aircraft-carriers/

Very interesting new images of the Type 003 carrier currently under construction at the Jiangnan Shipyard, Shanghai. For the first time a module - or super block - was moved near the new basin, eventually to be transported to the dry dock.

Thanks to @10969YUKIKAZE !

PLN Type 003 carrier - 20190712 - 1.jpg
PLN Type 003 carrier - 20190712 - 2.jpg
PLN Type 003 carrier - 20190712 - 3.jpg

S
Very interesting new images of the Type 003 carrier currently under construction at the Jiangnan Shipyard, Shanghai. For the first time a module - or super block - was moved near the new basin, eventually to be transported to the dry dock.

Thanks to @10969YUKIKAZE !

View attachment 568865 View attachment 568866 View attachment 568867
o
Looks like fabrication of 3rd super model block will begin soon.
I dont think so soon because basin is not ready yet. All the super blocks also have not been constructed. I think it would take almost 6 to 7 months till it is launched.

Back
Top Bottom