What's new

CV-18 Fujian - Type 003 Aircraft Carrier News & Discussions

I agree with Deino, 2019 is not realistic. The keel has yet to be laid and we're half way through the year already. If the shipyards decide to work around the clock (24/7) then maybe.

Type 003 is conventional EMALS with 80000 tons full displacement, is that true?
Yep. The only missing component was the EM catapult, which was finally selected over steam in July of last year.
With luck, I think 003 will launch in 2019, and delivered by 2021. I think by 2025 it will reach full operational capability thanks to experiences operating 001 and 002. They will probably construct two ships of this type. By 2030, I expect China to have 5 carriers in service.
I’m sorry but this prediction is completely ridiculous. I don’t think they can launch a 80,000 ton CATOBAR carrier within 1 year in any scenario short of wartime. Since we haven’t seen any modules thus far, 2019 seems completely unrealistic ... at best, you’ll see an advanced stage of construction, but certainly not a launch.
Pardon, some of you guys are funny. It has nothing to do with downplaying or underrating Chinese capabilities, but it is simply a fact
- since a carrier is not a skyscraper,
- since a comparison of a carrier and a house is off
- since not even the US built their carriers at such a proposed short time.

Some things simply need time and esp. when you do it for the first time. So in essence, thinking the 003 could already be launched in 2019 is as much unrealistic as to think anyone would run the 100m in 5.2 seconds.
I doubt these people extensively followed 002’s progress from 2015 to 2017, so cut them some slack

Last edited:
Type 003 will launch in 2021 and enter service in 2023. By which time both India and China will have two aircraft carriers in operation.

You mean 3 aircraft carriers in operation (001, 002, 003) ... in addition to the latter's huge qualitative edge?

If we're talking about the 2023 date, sure, although delays cannot be ruled out. As for a qualitative comparison, I'll leave that until we know more about the type of aircraft the IN chooses for its carriers as well as the vessels' sensors & defensive weaponry.

Without the breaking news of Chinese railgun mounted on a ship, he would still argue US railgun is far more advanced and way ahead and he would be doubting whether China actually had a working railgun to begin with. Just because there's hardly any information about Chinese EM doesn't mean it's not making fast progress. As always time will tell :lol:

Type 003 will launch in 2021 and enter service in 2023. By which time both India and China will have two aircraft carriers in operation.

Can we please leave out India out of this thread since you never can compare the Indian with the Chinese carrier program ...
to admit I'm not even sure if the first IN carrier will be ready by that time?

Last edited:
Guys, once again: Can we please leave out India out of this thread since it is irrelevant !

Please stay on topic.

Deino

And so it begins ???? .... I just found but I need a translation and an estimation how reliable?

https://m.weibo.cn/status/4246146660221688 (via: http://bbs.meyet.com/thread-321328-4716-1.html)

PLN Type 003 carrier - maybe first modules at Shanghai - 20180606.png

It is still uncertain.

Thanks ... since it would be the first CG of that sort similar to the then Type 002 under construction.

Can You explain what are the arguments in favour to or against it in that discussion?

Thanks again,
Deino

Thanks ... since it would be the first CG of that sort similar to the then Type 002 under construction.

Can You explain what are the arguments in favour to or against it in that discussion?

Thanks again,
Deino
He seems to be quiet confident,but the dock is currently occupied with LPG, 055 and other ships, so, who knows.

But how could there be already modules if the dock is still occupied?

I suppose there could be some modules completed and prepositioned, but the drydock still occupied.

Back
Top Bottom