What's new

Dalit anger boil over in Haryana

alamgir

Reaction score
Dalit anger boils over in Haryana
29 Aug 2007, 0102 hrs IST,C Shamsher,TNN

CHANDIGARH: The killing of a Dalit in broad daylight hours after he was acquitted by a CBI court on charges of murdering a Jat, has brought to the fore the simmering class and community crisis in a land where the khap, or caste panchayats, still brazenly announce death penalties on lovers marrying outside their caste or even within the same ‘gotra’.

To anyone who has followed the Gohana violence, which rumbled to life on August 31, 2005, after upper caste groups burnt 50 houses of Dalits, this is not the handiwork of criminals but of self-appointed conscience-keepers of society.

A keen watcher of Haryana affairs, Hisar-based sociologist Ajit Singh, said, ‘‘this could be because of a perceived lessening of distances between Dalits and upper castes. Such clashes are bound to happen. This is where the state should intervene.’’

Dalits, though, are in no mood for theories about caste crises. They want action. Surinder Singh, president of the Confederation of Scheduled Caste and Scheduled Tribes Organisation, told TOI over phone from Gohana that the murder of Rakesh is retaliation by the Jats.

‘‘They (the Jats) wanted to penalise him for a murder in which he had been exonerated by the courts,’’ he said, adding, ‘‘The police didn’t do much when our houses were burnt, they won’t do much now.’’

In Haryana, some parts of which seems to have active Dalits groups ready to protest and act against what they see as injustices, areas like Gohana are turning into tinder boxes of caste-related violence. In March this year, Rajputs destroyed 73 Dalit establishments, including four houses in Saalwan village, Karnal.

Some time ago, a Dalit girl called Usha, from Jind, was brutally beaten by the headmistress of her school and charged with theft of jewellery. And who doesn’t remember the lynching of five Dalits in Jhajjar in 2002?

‘‘We have represented our case at the National Commission for SC/ST times without number. In return they have got back to the state government and sought replies on all the atrocities against us, but the situation hasn’t improved a bit,’’ said Karamveer Singh, president of the Confederation of SC/ST Organisation (North India).
The Times of India: Breaking news, views, reviews, cricket from across India.

A guy belonging to Jat tribe killed a Guy from Balmiki tribe (which falls under ST), for whatever reasons (unlawfully) and they went on pure rampage against the police asking for action? (okay I admit Indian police is as lousy as it can get but violence retaliation?) great!

Dont worry guys some more quotas coming your way with the 30% existing already, Parliament is soon passing a bill for Quotas in appretinceship private sectors.

btw I'm not quite sure of the accountability of some of the other allgetaions raised and what it has to do with this one or what picture it is trying to paint citing such allegations vis-a-vis police incompetency, I hope the crisis gets over, btw alamgir dont you think Agra rampage has turned uglier, or its not worth posting it over this? duh!

A guy belonging to Jat tribe killed a Guy from Balmiki tribe (which falls under ST), for whatever reasons (unlawfully) and they went on pure rampage against the police asking for action? (okay I admit Indian police is as lousy as it can get but violence retaliation?) great!

Dont worry guys some more quotas coming your way with the 30% existing already, Parliament is soon passing a bill for Quotas in appretinceship private sectors.

btw I'm not quite sure of the accountability of some of the other allgetaions raised and what it has to do with this one or what picture it is trying to paint citing such allegations vis-a-vis police incompetency, I hope the crisis gets over, btw alamgir dont you think Agra rampage has turned uglier, or its not worth posting it over this? duh!

Being born in Chandigarh and spending substantial time there I can say for sure that jat/jatts are a bit worried and vary of these dalits esp since BSP came to power in UP...

This ST guy killed a jat was exonerated by the court yet the vigilante justice was carried out by the jats and police naturally supported them since most of the cops are jats and so are the politicians..

Similar thing happened with Dera Sacha Sauda, it has a huge dalit following and was becoming powerful, didn't go down with the jatts small pretext to whoop dalit bottoms..

Something similar in Pakistan b/w Arain and Rajput... and in India b/w Rajput & jatt oppressing dalits.. btw I have some Rajput & jatt ancestry and so know these parts and people..

Routine thing in Punjab and Haryana. Big men bigger egos fight on a small pretext..

btw alamgir dont you think Agra rampage has turned uglier, or its not worth posting it over this? duh!
both are clear examples of desperation of minorities and low casts in india,so if you wish i can post it

alamgir, Your point does not makes for any conclusive reasoning to me on what point your actually trying to make, because the word desperation has multi-meanings.

In reality both cases has been completely different yet so similar.

Back
Top Bottom