What's new

Danish cartoonist whose image of the Prophet Mohammed sparked outrage that culminated in the Charlie Hebdo massacre dies aged 86 after long illness

The Danish cartoonist whose depiction of the Prophet Mohammed sparked outrage around the Muslim world has died aged 86.

Kurt Westergaard passed away in his sleep after a long period of ill health, his family told newspaper Berlingske.

The illustrator was behind 12 drawings published by conservative daily newspaper Jyllands-Posten under the headline 'The Face of Mohammed', one of which sparked particular anger.

The cartoons went almost unnoticed initially, but after two weeks, a demonstration against them was held in Copenhagen, and then ambassadors from Muslim countries in Denmark lodged a protest.

The anger then escalated into anti-Danish violence across the Muslim world in February 2006.

The violence linked to the cartoons culminated in a 2015 massacre that left 12 people dead at the Charlie Hebdo satirical weekly in Paris, which had reprinted the cartoons in 2012.

Westergaard had been working at Jyllands-Posten since the mid-1980s as an illustrator, and according to Berlingske the drawing in question had actually been printed once before but without sparking much controversy.

During the last years of his life Westergaard, like a number of others associated with the cartoons, had to live under police protection at a secret address.

In early 2010, Danish police caught a 28-year-old Somalian armed with a knife in Westergaard's house, where he was planning to kill him.

His arrival is eagerly awaited by hell.

The Danish cartoonist whose depiction of the Prophet Mohammed sparked outrage around the Muslim world has died aged 86.

Kurt Westergaard passed away in his sleep after a long period of ill health, his family told newspaper Berlingske.

The illustrator was behind 12 drawings published by conservative daily newspaper Jyllands-Posten under the headline 'The Face of Mohammed', one of which sparked particular anger.

The cartoons went almost unnoticed initially, but after two weeks, a demonstration against them was held in Copenhagen, and then ambassadors from Muslim countries in Denmark lodged a protest.

The anger then escalated into anti-Danish violence across the Muslim world in February 2006.

The violence linked to the cartoons culminated in a 2015 massacre that left 12 people dead at the Charlie Hebdo satirical weekly in Paris, which had reprinted the cartoons in 2012.

Westergaard had been working at Jyllands-Posten since the mid-1980s as an illustrator, and according to Berlingske the drawing in question had actually been printed once before but without sparking much controversy.

During the last years of his life Westergaard, like a number of others associated with the cartoons, had to live under police protection at a secret address.

In early 2010, Danish police caught a 28-year-old Somalian armed with a knife in Westergaard's house, where he was planning to kill him.

Lannat upon him from all the creations.

permanent ban for suggesting a cartoonist should go to heaven after death
Repercussions of disrespecting the Holy Prophet P.B.U.H.

Where do you think you are...?
***.jpg
?!!
and two likes for suggesting cartoonists should be killed for cartooning.
I may get upgraded as Mod just for that view.

Died at 86, lived his life to the full. Passed away peacefully in his sleep. A death not everyone can afford.
Can only be amused at the hate by those who aren't even half his age and probably never going to reach him

😳 Honest to God (for us whom BELIEVE in the higher power), I haven't the slightest where you're going with this whole Dog & Bone nonsense.

This conversation is about SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT HUMAN BEING THAT HAS EVER WALKED ON THIS EARTH for us Muslims.

Please keep your opinions/views to yourself. Just because you do not believe in anything other than yourself - does not mean that you challenge that of Millions around.

You're in India, right... Don't know if you've ever expressed your views in front any Muslim there. I'm pretty sure the outcome would be the same, but i'd truly love to see you pass those comments in a Arab Country - since you can't make it to Pakistan.

I can't truly describe what would happen to you - but people would wonder how the burial would go about for someone of your unusual background.

I suppose that's what separates us from the likes of you.
Ii would have continued but webmaster infractions means forum is sensitive on religious discussions ...It doesn't requires courage to gang up on anybody who differs from view of a group ..but it requires a lot of patience and critical thinking to analyse difference of opinions ..Have a good life , I know religion promises so many things in bussiness of soul harvesting that its difficult to think rationally ...good day

Allah places him to the lowest point of Jahannam for his deed. A great gift before Eid Ul Adha

If i remember correctly there is a Hadith of Prophet Muhammad PBUH, when a good soul dies the Earth feel sad as his soul leave the planet, and when a evil person dies, the Earth takes a sigh of relief... For this soul I am sure Earth will be having a field day :D what a Dharti ka bhuj now becoming fuel of Hell fire, his actions were not just against the Muslims but he was a evil person who wants to see clash and create mischief in land, And Allah will deal with scums like these in a special way.

Back
Top Bottom