What's new

David Cameron: Britain Will Never Surrender The Falkland Islands

Back to the Falklands topic, why are nuclear weapons even being talked about as an option? Even if our government wanted to use them, it would be diplomatic suicide. We would be the pariahs of the world. Not even our most stupid politicians would seriously entertain a thought about a nuclear strike on Argentina. They don't have the balls for that.

Back to the Falklands topic, why are nuclear weapons even being talked about as an option? Even if our government wanted to use them, it would be diplomatic suicide. We would be the pariahs of the world. Not even our most stupid politicians would seriously entertain a thought about a nuclear strike on Argentina. They don't have the balls for that.
I only mentioned them to demonstrate that we still had some power, we'd never use them.

Well, good luck with your hypocritical "better standard of living" crap. As the 2nd largest country in SA, if it cannot grow itself stronger and stronger and reclaim Malvinas, that will be Argentina's own problem.

However, I do see Argentina will get Malvinas back within the forseeable future and there is nothing the U.K. can do about it. U.K., just like a sinking ship, can enjoy the cold water there while going down.

Ah, now Spain cannot really take political pot shots at us over the Falklands, or even Gibraltar, considering they continue to possess enclaves in Morroco. France and French Guyana. Heck, even Russia and the Kuril Islands.

If the Falkland Islands were not islands, and in fact continguous with the South American landmass, then yes there would be a fair case for Argentina (similar to India and Goa in the 1960s, correct me if I'm wrong).

But we're haggling over relative distance. Distance is not a way to make claims, otherwise Trinidad and Tobago belongs to Venezuela, Alaska to Canada, Kaliningrad to Poland, and China would have no claim to the Spratly Islands.

What difference would it make to Argentina if it did possess the islands? The islands are largely self sufficient, the UK taxpayer barely pays a quid for keeping them and the Falklands don't pay 'tributes' to the UK mainland. In the 1982 invasion the Argentinians immediately enfored the teaching of Spanish in schools and cars driving on the Argentine side of the road. Now, apart from the latter being very dangerous (left-side cars driving on the right isn't fun!), that was coming very close to a form of colonialism, by forcing of one culture and practices over the long established, conquered one.

Taking or gaining the islands would not change anything in Argentina, be it the national wealth, healthcare, crime rates or regional security. Of all things it deprives at least one political party of a unifying point to distract to public away from the proverbial troubles at home.

One last point: should 'Falklands 2' break out, the outcome would not affect UK politics greatly. Foreign policy has hardly ever impacted on British election outcomes. Churchill was dumped in 1945 (Yes! After all of that!); despite Suez 1956 it was another 10 years before they lost power; Thatcher did not survive because of the Falklands, her government's economic plan later in 1982/1983, disunity in the Liberal-Democratic Alliance, and the Labour Party's suicidal manifesto, were far more important factors (Falklands-effect is a retrospective, easy, convenient term); Blair was re-elected after Iraq. Foreign policy is not a political lightning rod over here.

To conclude, Argentina must prove that it can offer the Falkland Islands a better standard of living than they currently have under UK 'rule' (they are largely self-governing if not completely) if they truly wish to possess the islands. But that doesn't change the fact that while they are nearer to Argentina, 300 miles off their coast is still a bloody long way away!

Well, good luck with your hypocritical "better standard of living" crap. As the 2nd largest country in SA, if it cannot grow itself stronger and stronger and reclaim Malvinas, that will be Argentina's own problem.

However, I do see Argentina will get Malvinas back within the forseeable future and there is nothing the U.K. can do about it. U.K., just like a sinking ship, can enjoy the cold water there while going down.
nope,Agentine is a pathetic loser.

I only mentioned them to demonstrate that we still had some power, we'd never use them.

Nuclear weapons is not an indication of power. Its simply an indication that u can kill millions of hapless civilians en masse. Yes the UK has nuclear weapons, but IF u r put in a confrontational situation against a country like China, that won't help. You would help them in population control with your nuclear strike, their retaliation would wipe u out.

To deliver an effective punch, u have to be able to take one in the first place and still stand upright. An old martial arts tradition, and it applies to any form of combat.

You can have nuclear weapons my friend, doesnt mean ****.

Like your fellow Brit said earlier, any nuclear initiative on your part would make you the pariah of the world. So shut up already about your shallow British potency. Do yourselves a favor and stick your bloody red noses into the affairs of Europe cos beyond the Urals, you account for squat.

Falkland Islands would be lost if Argentina invaded warns former commander | Mail Online

Major General Julian Thompson warns that if Argentine forces managed to take British base on islands it would be 'end of story'

Britain would lose the Falklands if Argentina decided to invade according to one of the most distinguished commanders of the 1982 conflict.
Major General Julian Thompson, who commanded the brigade of Royal Marines during the conflict, said the islands have been left vulnerable by defence cuts, and it would be 'end of story' if Argentine forces took the British base on East Falkland.

He explained it has been left vulnerable because cost-cutting meant the Royal Navy did not have an aircraft carrier to defend the region.

He told The Times: 'The Argentines have a marine brigade. They've got a parachute brigade and some good special forces.'

'All they've got to do is get those guys on to the islands for long enough to destroy the (RAF) Typhoon jets and thats the end of it.

Read more: Falkland Islands would be lost if Argentina invaded warns former commander | Mail Online

Falkland Islands would be lost if Argentina invaded warns former commander | Mail Online

Major General Julian Thompson warns that if Argentine forces managed to take British base on islands it would be 'end of story'

Britain would lose the Falklands if Argentina decided to invade according to one of the most distinguished commanders of the 1982 conflict.
Major General Julian Thompson, who commanded the brigade of Royal Marines during the conflict, said the islands have been left vulnerable by defence cuts, and it would be 'end of story' if Argentine forces took the British base on East Falkland.

He explained it has been left vulnerable because cost-cutting meant the Royal Navy did not have an aircraft carrier to defend the region.

He told The Times: 'The Argentines have a marine brigade. They've got a parachute brigade and some good special forces.'

'All they've got to do is get those guys on to the islands for long enough to destroy the (RAF) Typhoon jets and thats the end of it.

Read more: Falkland Islands would be lost if Argentina invaded warns former commander | Mail Online
yet,GB still has the third biggest military badget around the whole world.

Nuclear weapons is not an indication of power. Its simply an indication that u can kill millions of hapless civilians en masse. Yes the UK has nuclear weapons, but IF u r put in a confrontational situation against a country like China, that won't help. You would help them in population control with your nuclear strike, their retaliation would wipe u out.

To deliver an effective punch, u have to be able to take one in the first place and still stand upright. An old martial arts tradition, and it applies to any form of combat.

You can have nuclear weapons my friend, doesnt mean ****.

Like your fellow Brit said earlier, any nuclear initiative on your part would make you the pariah of the world. So shut up already about your shallow British potency. Do yourselves a favor and stick your bloody red noses into the affairs of Europe cos beyond the Urals, you account for squat.
Did you read what I said? I said we would not use them.
You blabber on about China for some reason, rendering pretty much all of your post worthless.
The point is we could still give the Argies a run for their money.
We are perfectly entitled to the Falklands, perhaps you should look at Argentina before accusing us of venturing outside Europe.

Did you read what I said? I said we would not use them.
You blabber on about China for some reason, rendering pretty much all of your post worthless.
The point is we could still give the Argies a run for their money.
We are perfectly entitled to the Falklands, perhaps you should look at Argentina before accusing us of venturing outside Europe.

I didn't blabber about China for no reason. I was simply highlighting your own weakness while you were busy enlightening the rest of us on your so called nuclear prowess. My blabbering about China is just as good as your blabbering about the British nuclear prowess. A Chinese nuclear strike is as distant as a British nuclear strike on Argentina over a bunch of rocks. Both are not gonna happen anytime soon, so cut the bullshit about the UK being superior simply because they are nuclear armed. Yes you did say u will not use them, but yet u did throw that out in the open as a show of your superiority. I merely countered it.

We are perfectly entitled to the Falklands, perhaps you should look at Argentina before accusing us of venturing outside Europe. and how exactly has Argentina been meddling in affairs of nations out of their continent ? They are simply known as a superb footballing nation, not as a colonial power and certainly not an imperialist nation - on both accounts the UK is guilty of that. And how exactly are you entitled to a bunch of islands, thousands of miles away from your own homeland?

I know its difficult, but you gotta deal with this. Grandpa's stories about white supremacy over the brown bastards in Asia and the Americas are just that..a bunch of stories that ended 1/2 a century ago. If you are still hanging onto that superiority complex, then just too bad......get your white *** beat up in the Falklands and pull out of there like u did everywhere else.

And keep wondering why your former 'slaves' don't like you..the list just keeps growing.

:sniper:time to go beat up the next Brit bastard I see in Singapore for the fun of it

Thank you for your respone 888jamie888- I think we're clear with each other now. :)

@ephone: Argentina being the second largest country in South America means nothing; I ask this, what are the socia-economic and political benefits for Argentina and the Falklands Islands should the UK relinquish control?
No logical answers spring to my mind. Yes the islands are 8000 miles away from the UK, but they also are 300 miles from Argentina: that isn't exactly a short boat trip!

The Falkland Islanders have lived in prosperity since the invasion (not immediately after the last Argentine soldier left, but in time afterwards). Why would the current inhabitants of the islands risk Argentine state interference by voting themselves in their control.

Finally, what does Argentina gain from being given the Falklands? What difference to the proverbial man on the streets Buenos Aires?
Russia has held the Kuril Islands for less time than we have held the Falklands- does anyone on this forum that isn't Japanese dispute Russia's sovereignty?

I didn't blabber about China for no reason. I was simply highlighting your own weakness while you were busy enlightening the rest of us on your so called nuclear prowess. My blabbering about China is just as good as your blabbering about the British nuclear prowess. A Chinese nuclear strike is as distant as a British nuclear strike on Argentina over a bunch of rocks. Both are not gonna happen anytime soon, so cut the bullshit about the UK being superior simply because they are nuclear armed. Yes you did say u will not use them, but yet u did throw that out in the open as a show of your superiority. I merely countered it.

We are perfectly entitled to the Falklands, perhaps you should look at Argentina before accusing us of venturing outside Europe. and how exactly has Argentina been meddling in affairs of nations out of their continent ? They are simply known as a superb footballing nation, not as a colonial power and certainly not an imperialist nation - on both accounts the UK is guilty of that. And how exactly are you entitled to a bunch of islands, thousands of miles away from your own homeland?

I know its difficult, but you gotta deal with this. Grandpa's stories about white supremacy over the brown bastards in Asia and the Americas are just that..a bunch of stories that ended 1/2 a century ago. If you are still hanging onto that superiority complex, then just too bad......get your white *** beat up in the Falklands and pull out of there like u did everywhere else.

And keep wondering why your former 'slaves' don't like you..the list just keeps growing.

:sniper:time to go beat up the next Brit bastard I see in Singapore for the fun of it
You've got issues mate. A slight racism issue. I feel sorry for you.

I don't know if you know but Argentina was colonized by the Spanish (an imperial power) why don't they give the land back to the natives? They are just as guilty as us if not more.

Okay, if only I could alert the Singoporean police...

All countries are guilty of some past crime (Argentina had the Dirty War, although funnily enough it's not mentioned in the anti-argie press in the UK). Deal with it. Argue properly with regard to the current context.

If you want to talk about entitlements, answer me this: aren't the people of the islands entitled to decide their own political future? They have committed no crimes except existence in some people's eyes. The fact that the CURRENT GENERATION are living there is not their fault!

Thank you for your respone 888jamie888- I think we're clear with each other now. :)

@ephone: Argentina being the second largest country in South America means nothing; I ask this, what are the socia-economic and political benefits for Argentina and the Falklands Islands should the UK relinquish control?
No logical answers spring to my mind. Yes the islands are 8000 miles away from the UK, but they also are 300 miles from Argentina: that isn't exactly a short boat trip!

The Falkland Islanders have lived in prosperity since the invasion (not immediately after the last Argentine soldier left, but in time afterwards). Why would the current inhabitants of the islands risk Argentine state interference by voting themselves in their control.

Finally, what does Argentina gain from being given the Falklands? What difference to the proverbial man on the streets Buenos Aires?
Russia has held the Kuril Islands for less time than we have held the Falklands- does anyone on this forum that isn't Japanese dispute Russia's sovereignty?

Ever Wondered How does your Neighbour French have the Second Largest EEZ in the World?

Ever Wondered How does your Neighbour French have the Second Largest EEZ in the World?

So... the Argentinians want the islands for its resources? How colonial. Please give a better or more structured answer than that, this is a discussion forum not an ambiguous retort forum.

Naah don't feel sorry for my 'slight racism issue', its a 'colonial hangover'. The UK being the 'mecca' of modern-day racism as we know it - divide and conquer - ring a bell Brit?

And yes, I am well aware that Argentina was colonized by the Spaniards. No different from the USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore etc etc, which were colonized by the Brits. Your point being?

Argentina threw out the Spaniards as early as 1810. So how is that of any relevance to today's issues over the Falklands?

Yeah be my guest, go ahead and notify my authorities...Singaporean and not 'Singoporean' dumbass.

Dumb Brit can't spell right. :flame:

How old are you?

What ever happened to polite, well reasoned discussion...

Naah don't feel sorry for my 'slight racism issue', its a 'colonial hangover'. The UK being the 'mecca' of modern-day racism as we know it - divide and conquer - ring a bell Brit?

And yes, I am well aware that Argentina was colonized by the Spaniards. No different from the USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore etc etc, which were colonized by the Brits. Your point being?

Argentina threw out the Spaniards as early as 1810. So how is that of any relevance to today's issues over the Falklands?

Yeah be my guest, go ahead and notify my authorities...Singaporean and not 'Singoporean' dumbass.

Dumb Brit can't spell right. :flame:
Right well the empire is over get over it. You cannot blame the present generation for past wrongs.
My point is the current Argentinians displaced the native population, like you are claiming we did to Argentinian settlers on the Falklands. By your logic should they not go back to Spain when we leave the Falklands. Both guilty of imperialism eh?

Back
Top Bottom