Dawn News: CPEC is not going as well as govt would have us believe

Clutch

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Editorial: CPEC is not going as well as govt would have us believe

CPEC’s difficulties
Editorial

Updated December 06, 2017

THERE are growing indications that things are not going as well with CPEC as we are being told. Since the government did not release any meaningful details following the recent, seventh round of the Joint Cooperation Council — the crucial forum where the details of the various projects that come under the CPEC umbrella are being negotiated between the Pakistani and Chinese sides — news has managed to trickle out that many of the projects considered central by Pakistan have suffered setbacks.

Explore: CPEC’s precarious balancing act

The first news related to the Diamer-Bhasha dam project that was the most recent addition to the bouquet of projects being considered under the plan. That information emerged during a parliamentary committee hearing in which a former Wapda chairman said that the Chinese were asking for terms that Pakistan was unwilling to give in order to finance the mega dam.

The next bit of news came after the meeting itself, when reports trickled out that the framework agreements for the Peshawar-Karachi railway project, known as the Main Line 1 project, as well as the Karachi circular railway, could not be signed during the meeting.

ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER AD
Also read: CPEC master plan revealed

For the circular rail, there appeared to be good reasons for the delay, but for the ML1 project, it was merely stated that cost estimates will take another two to three months to be finalised.

Now comes a report that three important road projects, brought into the CPEC framework in the sixth JCC meeting held last December, have also suffered setbacks.

According to the report, the Chinese have developed new rules for approving financing for CPEC projects, and each of the latter will have to be resubmitted through the new procedures before financing can be arranged.

All of these might prove to be temporary difficulties, and the projects mentioned (except for the Diamer-Bhasha dam which appears to have been scrapped), could be back on track within months. Or this could be the moment when CPEC is changing gears, entering a new phase of its construction beyond the ‘early harvest’ power projects, and the enterprise is growing beyond the ability of the government to effectively manage.

As CPEC grows, its implementation becomes more complex and unwieldy given the small number of people involved in drafting the Pakistani position in the talks. The only antidote to the growing difficulties the government appears to be running into is greater transparency, which is becoming more urgent with the passage of time.

Published in Dawn, December 6th, 2017

All of these might prove to be temporary difficulties, and the projects mentioned (except for the Diamer-Bhasha dam which appears to have been scrapped), could be back on track within months. Or this could be the moment when CPEC is changing gears, entering a new phase of its construction beyond the ‘early harvest’ power projects, and the enterprise is growing beyond the ability of the government to effectively manage.

I like Dawn, I read it a lot but what the hell is this speculation? Ratings down from the Indian side of the border or what?

I guess... Dawn makes it $$$ from all the hits they get from Pakistan hating Indians

Neoliberalism 101
Again I'll wait for further reports - who knows maybe there are real issues but Dawn is just making a mountain out of a mole hill as of right now. If there is nothing more than negotiations going on right now then Dawn should get contacted from every PDFer Pakistani that reads Dawn to stop with the stupid crap articles based on nothing but speculation.

Last edited:
All of these might prove to be temporary difficulties, and the projects mentioned (except for the Diamer-Bhasha dam which appears to have been scrapped), could be back on track within months.

Key sentence..

Dawn has reduced itself to a click bait type newspaper since its online version readers have increased. Of course, when you put such headlines online, the website will attract a lot of traffic from across the border.

I am also thinking of developing a website on which I can post blah blah blah about Pakistan's and CPEC's failure, Chinese sinking economy, India becoming super power in the next 15 years (I can run the same title of "India to become a superpower in the next 15 years" for the next 30 years (my retirement age)).

I see this positively as this traffic earns us foreign exchange, and a false sense of pride across the border.

Why? What is the big deal?

A couple days after the the meeting a delegation came from Chine to iron out the missing links in the Karachi Circle line project. Which simply means there is a slight delay to commencement of the project and nothing else. In ML1 as stated in the Dawn article there are some cost estimates still not completed. The three roads need be resubmitted to satisfy parameters of the new guidelines.

Its a huge thing happening in a very short time. We are simply not used to it. These projects are of equal interest to the Chinese as well and so the execution will be ensured by them just as much as by us.

Relax and enjoy the ride. As for the apparently concerned ones but actually burning up with hatred and jealousy.. Just ignore them!

I guess... Dawn makes it $$$ from all the hits they get from Pakistan hating Indians

Neoliberalism 101

Dawn Has Lost All Credibility With The Pakistani People.They Have Show They Are Nothing More Than A Mouthpiece Of Foreign Interests

Now I'll see people attacking Dawn news rather than actually refuting the points raised in the article. Why? Because that's the easiest way to avoid facts.

Those Points Have Been Refuted A Million Times.We're Just Sick and Tired Of It.

Key sentence..

Dawn has reduced itself to a click bait type newspaper since its online version readers have increased. Of course, when you put such headlines online, the website will attract a lot of traffic from across the border.

I am also thinking of developing a website on which I can post blah blah blah about Pakistan's and CPEC's failure, Chinese sinking economy, India becoming super power in the next 15 years (I can run the same title of "India to become a superpower in the next 15 years" for the next 30 years (my retirement age)).

I see this positively as this traffic earns us foreign exchange, and a false sense of pride across the border.

I was reading comments, and suddenly this idea is great for a start up mate. Try it.
Anyways you are correct that the problems with CPEC are over hyped but as said, there are no fumes without fire.

Editorial: CPEC is not going as well as govt would have us believe

CPEC’s difficulties
Editorial

Updated December 06, 2017

THERE are growing indications that things are not going as well with CPEC as we are being told. Since the government did not release any meaningful details following the recent, seventh round of the Joint Cooperation Council — the crucial forum where the details of the various projects that come under the CPEC umbrella are being negotiated between the Pakistani and Chinese sides — news has managed to trickle out that many of the projects considered central by Pakistan have suffered setbacks.

Explore: CPEC’s precarious balancing act

The first news related to the Diamer-Bhasha dam project that was the most recent addition to the bouquet of projects being considered under the plan. That information emerged during a parliamentary committee hearing in which a former Wapda chairman said that the Chinese were asking for terms that Pakistan was unwilling to give in order to finance the mega dam.

The next bit of news came after the meeting itself, when reports trickled out that the framework agreements for the Peshawar-Karachi railway project, known as the Main Line 1 project, as well as the Karachi circular railway, could not be signed during the meeting.

ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER AD
Also read: CPEC master plan revealed

For the circular rail, there appeared to be good reasons for the delay, but for the ML1 project, it was merely stated that cost estimates will take another two to three months to be finalised.

Now comes a report that three important road projects, brought into the CPEC framework in the sixth JCC meeting held last December, have also suffered setbacks.

According to the report, the Chinese have developed new rules for approving financing for CPEC projects, and each of the latter will have to be resubmitted through the new procedures before financing can be arranged.

As CPEC grows, its implementation becomes more complex and unwieldy given the small number of people involved in drafting the Pakistani position in the talks. The only antidote to the growing difficulties the government appears to be running into is greater transparency, which is becoming more urgent with the passage of time.

Published in Dawn, December 6th, 2017

A project as big as CPEC, with massive billions being pumped into it that is scheduled to last for many years and decades WILL by default have many snags and obstacles. As did our nuclear weapons program. This is to be expected. In fact it would be worrying if it didn't. This is an indicator that CPEC is working, evolving and is progressing.

Ye Dawn walon ko ajkal daily kharish ho rahi hai? Bada paisa kha rahe gain Hindu ka BC

Once RAW released figure of 500 milllion bank account waiting for news papers to tap into we are seeing an abundance of these Analyst :P specially the English newspapers

dawn tribune should stick to plight of burgers and feminism in Pakistan ya current affairs etc ab in keh bass ka nai raha!

i enjoy reading tribune ka liberal burger blog!

The problem with desi people and I am putting Indians more in this statement is we cannot criticize ourselves. I worked in New Zealand for about 15 years before moving to Australia. Australia had a little more of this problem in work environment (They called it dont winge) I have retired years back at age 36, and attitudes change. But both Indians and Pakistanis never seem to get the fact that criticism and self reflection is the driver of change for the good.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom