What's new

Dear Smriti Irani, stop giving my money to IITians

But i agree that the concession in fees needs to be restricted to financially disadvantaged students.

Exactly, No body is talking about this so far.
And from beginning I have told..I am not against anybody..I myself have also used Govt. Subsidies in education though I am financially sound.

We select best students and provide them with best facilities with tax payers money so that they can go abroad and work.

Ohh sorry, few stays back in India, ................. those got admitted thru SC/ST quota (as usually nt selected by US MNCs). :rofl:

Few talented guys choose to work in India but the number is very small.

Just one question to all those who support that subsidy given to IIT's should be withdrawn...how many of you have opted for not taking LPG subsidy?? PM has made an appeal ...plz see if you can contribute there as well...

Couldn't get to IT but got admission in yale.

Thank god. These Indian student learn what exist while we invent and pioneer. Indian education system is really preposterous. There is need to change from grass root level, Indians can not match brains overseas. The level of exposure and the syntax of education is totally unparallele. I IT is as shyt as Dr do.
These quota student with quota faculty are useless. There is no need for subsidy remove it.

Flawed. First of all have a sense of proportion. 1700 crore is peanuts. We should be spending much much more than that on our top educational institutions.

Next, subsidies should be targeted at asset building rather than consumer driven. Highly educated young people are the best assets India could ask for.

The reason we do not see suitable returns is not due to subsiding their education but due to lack of infrastructure and opportunities that would attract their talents. For instance, you want these people to work at DRDO, make it more appealing, have more outreach programs, offer competitive salary and most of all cultivate a sense of pride in the nation and a desire to work for its progress.

If you want to kill subsidies or raise the money given to IIT, there are hundreds of more suitable candidates.

restrict the concessional fees to economically backward students
Why?
What harm has a rich student or his family who earned this money from sweat blood or brain have done to you?

You Indian want to be Robin Hood give your stuff don't steal. Government is already stealing with tax which is given to poor cockroaches. While we tax payer don't get any thing. We are bound to oppress these poor pest to get a Lil bit of our own belonging.

I hate poor people they are poor for their deeds nobody force them. They get narega manrega these government scheme who want these lethargic bastardss to stay poor.

Couldn't get to IT but got admission in yale.

Thank god. These Indian student learn what exist while we invent and pioneer. Indian education system is really preposterous. There is need to change from grass root level, Indians can not match brains overseas. The level of exposure and the syntax of education is totally unparallele. I IT is as shyt as Dr do.
These quota student with quota faculty are useless. There is no need for subsidy remove it.

Indians doing really well internationally. Look at the MNCs. I work in IT and seen all over the world technical departments are full of Indians.

Just one question to all those who support that subsidy given to IIT's should be withdrawn...how many of you have opted for not taking LPG subsidy?? PM has made an appeal ...plz see if you can contribute there as well...

LPG subsidy is for general public (I am not sayng I will go for it) and IITians are foreign foreigners.

Most doctors practice in public hospitals unlike engineers who mostly in private companies. So if doctors are denied subsidized education them govt should pay them handsomely not meagre 30k while the fees for private college each year is 5 lakh in mbbs while post graduation it's 15-50 lakh annually depending on subject. The highest pay I have seen in PG doctors is 80k-1 lakh that too in medical college not in CHCs. Here in Odisha PG are bonded for 3 yrs after PG.
not bad at all,,,,here in Assam,,,,to appear in pg exam u need one yr rural service,,,n if u get into pg course,,u got to do bonded labor for 10 yrs aftr completing pg,,,othrwise no stipend:lol:
most IIT'ians r ready to runaway to westrn countries for better pay,,,well cant blame thm,,,,but why shud i pay for leeches:what:,,let thm pay for thmselves or sign bonds like us

Last edited:
Indians doing really well internationally. Look at the MNCs. I work in IT and seen all over the world technical departments are full of Indians.

LPG subsidy is for general public (I am not sayng I will go for it) and IITians are foreign foreigners.
Dear, most these are non quota student who see no future in this pathetic land of quota.

Still these guys lack exposure which they realise when they go overseas or work in a team.

This is absolutely wrong way of looking at it...I have worked in US as well...keep in mind it is this workforce that saved our arse during 98 sanctions for daring to go nuclear...

As far as i know Most Engineers after studying join IT sector, be it Chemical,Mechanical etc.
How are your skills as Mechanical engineer applied in Software?baffles me.
So far out of the professionals only the Lawyers and Doctors stick to their profession after graduation,while Engineering students either take up IT industry or Managerial posts like PR,HR etc.

The article has some good points, i see many friends of mine who are from IIT and Engineering reluctant to go in their field as a living or open up their own Factory etc. There should be a clause where if you join IIT you need to work for the Government for atleast 2-3 years.
There is a Internship for 1 year before graduating from MBBS.
There are proposals to make rural posting compulsory before graduation in MBBS,it's still being debated though.

I agree that people who get subsidy in education should be asked to refund if they do well. Nobody can stop bright students from leaving, but they should be asked to pay if they want to become citizen of another country.

I'm currently studying in an IIT.

Most of your perceptions are very wrong. This ToI fueled hatred towards the IITs needs to be addressed. I doubt I'll be able to change your minds but here goes.

Most IITians go abroad: This is so incorrect it isn't even funny. Under 5% of a graduating batch gets silicon valley or other foreign offers. Another 5% or so pursue PhDs abroad because they are inclined towards research. I'd say at the most another 10% go on to pursue their masters. Meaning only about 20-25% of IITians go abroad! I will concede that the absolute brightest IITians do go abroad, but that doesn't mean every single IITian goes abroad as is portrayed in the media.

IITians do not do research: On the contrary, you will find it hard to find a single IITian who hasn't done a single research project. Graduating Bachelor and Masters projects in the IITs are usually of very good quality. I've undertaken two research projects so far, have been published twice, both times in High Impact Factor Journals and I am about to embark on a year long funded project with very practical applications.

IITians prefer to get an MBA and/or enter finance: This is true to some extent, only for branches such as Materials Science and Chemical Engineering, because job opportunities in these fields often involve not very high pays and postings in distant areas. The government needs to encourage investment in these areas and invite foreign cos to set up R&D facilities like there are in CS/EE or Mechanical Engineering.

IITians contribute very little to the Indian economy: On the contrary, look at even the youngest startups from the IITs and you will see the sheer number of Jobs they generate. Forget the likes of Flipkart or Ola. Zomato is currently present in 19 countries. Housing.com is expanding at a dizzying rate. These companies bring in investments, genreate jobs at every skill level.

Feel free to ask about anything concerning the current ground realities at IITs. And FYI, the current fees for a student entering is closer to Rs. 1,50,000 per year. I agree there are government subsidies to our education, but not even 10% of the batch will be able to afford Rs. 3,50,000 a year (if that is really how much it costs. I doubt it).

A good point why not provide them easy loan instead of using tax payers money... Use it for other developments..

Back
Top Bottom