What's new

Delhi and Lahore-Twin Cities

Status
Not open for further replies.
b-423961-New_Delhi.jpg

gallery_69.jpg

hyatt-hotel.jpg

Light dawns!!!!!!! Greetings, brother! :cheers:

A bit personal, off-topic bit of personal account.
I tell you what! My last trip to Delhi was in 1984. Just a few days after I went back from Delhi to my relatives in Rajasthan the Indian Prime Minister Indira Gandhi was assassinated by her Sikh bodyguards. You know what happened in Delhi after that.
I was so glad to be out just in time. But even in Rajasthan I heard people saying 'This must be America and Pakistan who killed Indira'. Of course I laid low. Turban or not. India was apparently quite anti-America then.

A bit personal, off-topic bit of personal account.
I tell you what! My last trip to Delhi was in 1984. Just a few days after I went back from Delhi to my relatives in Rajasthan the Indian Prime Minister Indira Gandhi was assassinated by her Sikh bodyguards. You know what happened in Delhi after that.
I was so glad to be out just in time. But even in Rajasthan I heard people saying 'This must be America and Pakistan who killed Indira'. Of course I laid low. Turban or not. India was apparently quite anti-America then.

I'm sure it was. It still is, in part. As in, we understand that whatever US of A does will be done to benefit it some manner. It's just that we hope we can benefit along with them. And of course, we want it to solve some of our problems in a foolishly optimistic act, frankly because we don't have the power or political will to do it ourselves.

I'm just 19, so I didn't exactly experience the riots, but my mother did as a horrified spectator. She lived in North Delhi at that time, an area with a larger Sikh population than some other parts of the city, and she saw family friends harassed horrifically. She told me the stories.

On June 29, 2011 Times of India reported that a 24-year-old woman physical trainer was allegedly raped twice in the changing room of a gym at the DDA sports complex in Sector 11, Dwarka, first by the manager and then by another trainer five days later. The shocking allegations came to light when the victim lodged a police complaint after the second incident. The accused, identified as Ajay Pratap and Rakesh, both employees of a fitness centre contracted to run the gym, have been arrested.

New Delhi: Woman physical trainer raped twice | India Criminal Records

Meanwhile in Pakistan, how is Mukhtaran Bibi these days?
btw your fat fonts only show your desperation, nothing more.

And for the indians who boast so much about the "Common Wealth Games":

Delhi chief minister defends hiding poverty during Common Wealth Games

New Delhi's chief minister Sheila Dikshit has dismissed criticism that the city is trying to hide its poverty during the Commonwealth Games by clearing beggars from the streets and erecting barriers to hide its slums.

Dikshit has come under fire from civil rights' activists over the removal of beggars, street children and the homeless, which are a familiar sight on Delhi's usually packed streets.

Giant hoardings hailing the arrival of the Games have also been erected along the roads that will be used by athletes and officials, hiding open sewers, stagnant water and rubbish-strewn slums from view.

"When you get a guest at your house and when the eyes of the world are going to be on this city, would you not like it to look like a nice city?" Dikshit told Indian news channel NDTV in an interview on Sunday.

She defended the government's spending on efforts to clean and tidy up the capital, saying it was "overdue. You go and have a look at it now. Is it something bad to like that, by making it look more pretty?"

She said all beggars have been put in homes and would be cared for even after the end of the October 3 to 14 sporting showpiece, the cost of which was estimated at $6-billion by the government in August.

"Instead of wandering around, we have got homes for them. Every beggar can be put into a home and every child can be put in a home," she said.

The social services arm of the Delhi government says that 1 300 beggars have been arrested since January.

But according to the Housing and Land Rights Network (HLRN), an organisation that fights for the right to decent accommodation, arrests have been widened to all the city's poor.

"About 75% of those who've left the centre of Delhi are not beggars but the poor and migrants," said the head of the association, Milun Kothari last week.

"They're arrested on the pretext of security because they don't have any proof of identity, but it's a human rights violation," he added, estimating that 60 000 beggars and 150 000 homeless usually live in Delhi. - Reuters

Delhi chief minister defends hiding poverty - Sport - Mail & Guardian Online

India razes slums, leaves poor homeless

NEW DELHI, India (CNN) -- Hanso Devi moved to New Delhi from Rajasthan with just one hope -- to make a better life for herself and her family.
Hanso Devi says she and her family have nowhere else to go.

Hanso Devi says she and her family have nowhere else to go.

She, her husband, five children and other relatives erected a hut to live in --- a home that provided shelter and a base for her husband's streetside blacksmith business.

The problem is that the land they built on belongs to the government. And the government has decided to take it back.

In a matter of minutes bulldozers level the place, leaving Devi and her family perched on a bed atop a sea of rubble. They have nowhere to go.

"They did it so fast that there was no time to take out anything. And the bulldozer broke everything on the way," Devi said.

"It's like we were picked up and thrown away," she said. Video Watch how people are living in a wasteland »

Bulldozers razed the makeshift home and hundreds of others earlier this month as the Indian government moves to improve New Delhi for the 2010 Commonwealth Games.

Officials say the land is for a road and the demolitions are simply part of a master plan to clean up the city and move slum-dwellers to proper housing.

But, the government says, there will be no relocation for families like Hanso Devi's because they do not meet relocation requirements.

The government says they are squatting too close to the road, and are located in a major development zone.
Don't Miss

* 'Slumdog' highlights India's forgotten poor

Impact Your World

* See how you can make a difference

"You see they have encroached on the specific project lengths -- there will be no notice, no relocation projects for them," said New Delhi Mayor Arti Mehra, who says she and the city are worried about those who have been left homeless.

About 3 million people live in New Delhi's slums, the government estimates. Mehra says New Delhi is slated to build 100,000 new apartments, though only 6,800 are under construction.

Critics say demolishing housing that has been here for years and relocating some residents but not others will hurt many who live on the margins of society.

"They'll be pushed to the brink," said A.K. Roy of the Hazards Centre Sanchal Foundation, a non-governmental organization.

"Eventually I think what the planners are doing, they are not realizing they'll be building up a pool of violence."

The people who live in New Delhi's slums are some of the city's maids, drivers, street vendors and day laborers. Roy argues the city could not survive without the services that the slum dwellers provide.

The slums may not have looked like much to outsiders, but to families who had lived there for years, they were everything. Their businesses, homes and temples were there. Now they are lost.

Some huts are still standing, for now. Among them is the home of Sheila Naurang Lal, built more than 20 years ago by the family who still lives there.

But that is little comfort for Lal as she sees what has happened to the homes a few yards from her house.

"I came to the road yesterday after being scared seeing the bulldozer," Lal says. "You must have seen the front part has been broken."

It has been two days since the latest slum eradication, but families are still eking out a living amid the ruins. A mother cooks for her children, a 90-year-old woman with a walker sits on her bed and someone's pet goat is tied up at a shrine, waiting for its owner.

Hanso Devi looks around as night falls. She will spend another night in the open with nothing to keep her warm but a small fire.

"We are going to sleep right here. There is no place other than this."

India razes slums, leaves poor homeless - CNN.com

Yeah, that's how India looks like in movies and documentaries.

Though what is underneath is arguably worse.

(But they usually film in Mumbai.)

which is why all bollywood films are shot abroad (Europe and UAE).

Its mostly Western Movies and Documentaries that expose the real image of india.

India: 2.1 million children below 5 years of age die annually in India

A UN body, in a shocking statistical revelation said that around 2.1 million children die in India annually before completing five years of age, 50 per cent of them not surviving even 28 days.

Globally, the statistic stands at 9.7 million annually, media reports said here quoting UNICEF's "State of the World's Children" report.

The number of children who die before their fifth birthday has dropped to a historic low of 9.7 million annually, but South Asia accounts for 3.1 million and India for 2.1 million of these deaths.

According to reports, "India has the single highest share of neonatal deaths in the world".

While around 25 percent of children globally are underweight, in India the number is 43 percent. The worst affected states in India are Madhya Pradesh, Jharkhand, Bihar, Gujarat, Orissa, Chhattisgarh, Uttar Pradesh and Meghalaya.

The agency emphasised on the great need to check neonatal deaths (those of children under four weeks), which makes up 37 percent of under-five deaths.

"There is a huge number of neonatal deaths. Breastfeeding alone can reduce India's mortality rate by a few points," Murzi added.

UNICEF emphasised that India will have to drastically improve the rate at which it is reducing under-five mortality from the current annual rate of 2.6 percent to 7.6 percent over the next nine years to achieve key UN goals by 2015.

According to the report, universalisation of early initiation of breastfeeding, within one hour of birth, would reduce neonatal mortality in India by 22 percent, universalisation of exclusive breastfeeding for the first six months of life would avert nearly 16 percent of young child deaths in India.

The UN aims to cut child mortality by two-thirds between 1990 and 2015, to fewer than 5 million deaths per year. "A substantial strengthening of the (Indian) health system is needed," Murzi said.

The news has come as a "big shock" for the Indian government. "We are extremely worried about malnutrition," said Loveleen Kacker, a senior official from the women and child development ministry, adding the government will scale up funding to boost nutrition.
Info via the Islamic Republic News Agency website - 23rd January 2008

India: 2.1 million children below 5 years of age die annually in India

which is why all bollywood films are shot abroad (Europe and UAE).

Its mostly Western Movies and Documentaries that expose the real image of india.

It's mostly pakistanis who consider westerners as their masters. Everything that a person with more gora skin says is true for a pakistani. No wonder they get so much donations from goras to run their countries and governments.

Delhi, India:

THE CAPITAL OF GLOBAL SUPERPOWER :cheesy:

SAKI_173368f.jpg

Delhi Government is ensuring removal of beggars before Commonwealth Games. File Photo: V. V. Krishnan

Beggars are fast leaving areas of the Capital that are expected to be frequented by players and visitors during the Commonwealth Games.

Though on the face of it the Delhi Government has not launched any official drive to remove them as it wants to treat them in a humane manner, the fact of the matter is that the Social Welfare Department had recently sought additional police force to buttress its efforts to clear the main roads and crossings of New Delhi of beggars.

While officials believe there are about 5 lakh beggars in the city, according to various NGOs working in the social welfare sector the number could be as high as 20 lakh.

“What we do not want is beggars following or harassing tourists during the Games. That would present a poor picture of the Capital city which is now redoubling its efforts to ensure the success of the Games,'' said a senior Delhi Government official.

Another area of concern for the Government is the fact that about 25 per cent of all beggars are drug addicts. “They are the ones we fear the most as they often indulge in petty crime to raise funds for financing their habit of drugs.''

So the Government is silently but surely ensuring that either the beggars are removed to the various Beggars Homes or they relocate to areas which are not likely to be visited by too many tourists.

Delhi Social Welfare Secretary Manoj K. Parida, however insists that there is no drive to remove the beggars. “There is no instruction or government policy to remove them for the Games. They are nevertheless detained and arrested as part of the usual drive. We have nine mobile squads which detain them and three mobile courts to prosecute them. We are also assisted by 20 Delhi police personnel in this task.''

Noting that as per court orders, the Delhi Government has written to other States to take back their beggars, Mr. Parida said some of the States had written that Delhi cannot return people like this as they come here to partake in the prosperity that comes to Delhi on account of being the national Capital.

The official said since a large number of beggars are also found around places of worship where people give them alms, the Government had also written to several such bodies to put up donation boxes outside their premises also so that people can make the donations there instead of giving alms directly to beggars.

“This would have discouraged begging. But neither the managements of these places of worship nor the devout have paid heed to this advice.''

Admitting that often “only a thin line exists between small time hawking and begging,” Mr. Parida said as per norms only the beggars are removed from the streets. “They are let off with a reprimand after the first offence, the second offence entails detention of up to three years while the third has detention of up to 10 years. But the very fact that in our Tahirpur beggars home we have just 300 beggars as against a capacity of about 1,200 shows that we are not hunting for them.''

The Hindu : Cities / Delhi : Beggars making a silent exit

It's mostly pakistanis who consider westerners as their masters. Everything that a person with more gora skin says is true for a pakistani. No wonder they get so much donations from goras to run their countries and governments.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom